Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Static/crackling on some random slacker songs.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been trying to track down a minor issue I have with my model3. Every once in a while I get some static/crackling during a song. It kind of sounds like a blown speaker coming from the speaker row near the windsheild. l'm trying to decide if and how I need to bring this up with the service center since I can't really reproduce it. I noted the songs when it happened and later when I went back to reproduce it, it sounded fine. Has anyone else noticed this? Maybe it's just software growing pains? It doesn't bother me too much but I don't want to leave things unaddressed.

I've had it. More in the delivery release of the software than in the subsequent releases (I've had two of those in the past month). Now it's down to maybe one song per week (~5 hours of driving/wk). As you note, it resolves by skipping to the next song, so I can't foresee bothering with trying to get it troubleshot. Good to know others have similar situation. I'm still enamored of the ability to tell my car to play Paradise by the Dashboard Lights whenever the mood strikes, so a bit of crackling once a week or so isn't bothering me.

Reactions: Falkirk
I have experienced it too. Like you, at first I thought it was a defective speaker but realized once I switched songs that it went away. If it were a blown speaker it wouldn't have gone away. It still does it on occasional songs and I just change to a different one.

Good to hear it's not just my car, which likely means I just have to wait for it to be worked out in newer versions. I agree its a pretty minor complaint since it happens so infrequently.

I'll have to give the pause/play trick a try. Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: lemketron
Happened twice in the first 48hrs I had the car but then hasn't again over the last week I've now had it. Both times I just skipped the track like others and it went away. Assuming a software issue and will likely be fixed later. Not a big deal for now I suppose.

I estimate it happens to me about 1 out of 20 songs that play. It goes away when skipping to the next song. I'll have to try pause and play to see if that works (unless it's Def Leppard - that'll get skipped every time). ;)

Experienced this as well. As others have mentioned it seems to come up less often with the more recent software updates. Did not know about the pause/play workaround to fix this. Good to know!

Anyone still having this issue in v10? My wife’s model 3 still does this. She’s recorded a video and shared it with the SC. All they say is they can reproduce if so they can’t do anything. Speaker connection was good according to them.

Anyone still having this issue in v10? My wife’s model 3 still does this. She’s recorded a video and shared it with the SC. All they say is they can reproduce if so they can’t do anything. Speaker connection was good according to them.

I used to get this fairly often and it went away about a year ago, haven't had anything like it since then. When she notices the problem, does pausing and then resuming the song have any impact on the noise? Also try skipping songs and see if it stays or goes away.

Previously either of those two options would (temporarily) fix the problem, curious if it's similar.

I'm having this, I don't know if it's any connection issue but it cuts out couple times a day with just over 1 hr of driving. Static, sub cuts out and then 2 seconds later everything cracks back to normal . I might have to make an appt if the next software doesn't fix it.