Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steam integration for Model S built after Feb 2022 only?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a few examples of earliesh cars getting Steam (built well before Feb 22), making it sound like it might not be an issue. Do we have any confirmed examples yet of early refresh cars not getting steam with the update?

I know we are going off what Elon said, but just wondering based on some encouraging examples thus far whether we are worried about nothing?
Well us 2021 Model S Refresh early adopters (9/2021 delivery) are not worried for nothing especially with early reports from another thread quoting Tesla Service centers estimating the retrofit cost to customers at $2k.

I don't think final word has come down but maybe it has. If so, it is disappointing but I guess I can always get the best Steam Deck and save $1300 instead if I really want to play Steam games in the car (and I get the bonus of being able to play while the car is driving/ when I'm a passenger and not while I am driving of course).

We have a few examples of earliesh cars getting Steam (built well before Feb 22), making it sound like it might not be an issue. Do we have any confirmed examples yet of early refresh cars not getting steam with the update?

I know we are going off what Elon said, but just wondering based on some encouraging examples thus far whether we are worried about nothing?
I wonder if anyone with an early refresh build even got the update yet. Perhaps the update is first pushed to cars with the sufficient tech to support the features.

I wonder if anyone with an early refresh build even got the update yet. Perhaps the update is first pushed to cars with the sufficient tech to support the features.
Early refresh build (9/2021) and no update yet. If true about the $2000 retrofit, then I think all early adopter will jump on a class action together. With that said, it could be possible that the service techs are quoting the old estimates from when Model S owners (with vertical screens) had an option to upgrade their MCU1 to MCU2 or something along these lines. It cost like $2k and gave them more responsive touch screens.

Reactions: Plaid21 and Ramphex
Early refresh build (9/2021) and no update yet. If true about the $2000 retrofit, then I think all early adopter will jump on a class action together. With that said, it could be possible that the service techs are quoting the old estimates from when Model S owners (with vertical screens) had an option to upgrade their MCU1 to MCU2 or something along these lines. It cost like $2k and gave them more responsive touch screens.
I think most people haven't gotten this update yet. I'm an 06/22, and no update. It remains to be seen if the retrofit will be discounted/free.

Reactions: Ramphex
Well us 2021 Model S Refresh early adopters (9/2021 delivery) are not worried for nothing especially with early reports from another thread quoting Tesla Service centers estimating the retrofit cost to customers at $2k.

I don't think final word has come down but maybe it has. If so, it is disappointing but I guess I can always get the best Steam Deck and save $1300 instead if I really want to play Steam games in the car (and I get the bonus of being able to play while the car is driving/ when I'm a passenger and not while I am driving of course).
If indeed you guys are left out, I think you should go for the jugular. It was 100% an advertised feature you guys should get.

I still hope for everyone’s sake that it’s incorrect information and you will all be pleasantly surprised… I personally haven’t heard yet of anyone who is confirmed to not have steam on a refresh S/X. Hope it stays that way.

Reactions: Ramphex
If indeed you guys are left out, I think you should go for the jugular. It was 100% an advertised feature you guys should get.

I still hope for everyone’s sake that it’s incorrect information and you will all be pleasantly surprised… I personally haven’t heard yet of anyone who is confirmed to not have steam on a refresh S/X. Hope it stays that way.
Very few S cars I believe even have the update, yet. I can almost guarantee it won't be incorrect information.

Can confirm you’ll need the 16gb. Have a long range delivered in dec 2021 and a plaid delivered in sept 2021 where both just got the 2022.45.25.3 update and no steam. It’s not in the release notes either.

Attachments

• A2D6DB74-F5A4-4530-B4D7-189D1219C95C.jpeg
    A2D6DB74-F5A4-4530-B4D7-189D1219C95C.jpeg
    391.3 KB · Views: 279
  • 55822269-6459-4F99-AFD2-058F0D771BF4.jpeg
    55822269-6459-4F99-AFD2-058F0D771BF4.jpeg
    291.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Helpful
Reactions: WilliamG
Booooooooooooooooo.

I seriously cannot recommend Tesla anymore. If anyone asks me if they should buy one my answer will be no. I don’t much care about steam in my car, but it’s the constant false advertising and broken “promises.” And don’t get me started on the $10k I wasted on FSD.

Reactions: aerodyne
Booooooooooooooooo.

I seriously cannot recommend Tesla anymore. If anyone asks me if they should buy one my answer will be no. I don’t much care about steam in my car, but it’s the constant false advertising and broken “promises.” And don’t get me started on the $10k I wasted on FSD.

Agreed. I’ve been getting slow motion buyer’s remorse. From not being able to find tires/wheels for the winter to save my life and then little things like this plus the service experience, and a year to get even into FSD beta. Definitely frustrating.

I realize it’s only been a week since this thread started, and that your cars are still under warranty, but I’m surprised that none of the hardware engineers here have pulled their MCUZ, put it on a rework station and desoldered/resoldered a 16G memory chip. Seems unlikely the RAM value is stored in the gateway config.

Bonus points for using 32.

Last edited:
December '21 Plaid S delivery and no steam feature in recent relese.

I undestand that Tesla is changing the way they manage new feature releases with their vehicles compared to conventional manufuctures. At the time, I thought this disruptive approach to the industry was long overdue and much needed. However, this approach of allowing consusmers to purchase a vehicle, only to release updated hardware items within the same model year version, with no advance communication that such a thing will occur, is unacceptable. I'm looking at it from a depreciation lens. Those car's within the same model year that don't have this updated hardware, will take a hit.

They did this with the headlight/tailight update for the Model S and now with the RAM update. Had I known, I would've waited. I'm not going to be playing games in the car, I have a PC / console for that, but like someone mentioned above, what future feature release is going to be dependent on this higher RAM? What other hardware is going to be updated or introduced in the near future for current model year?

I can understand Tesla's angle in why they do it this way, but communication is key....something they very strongly lack. I still love the Plaid but competition is catching up, can't say I'll be loyal to Tesla if they continue to screw a few of us over like this.

Last edited:
I have a mid Feb 2022 LR so I won’t know if I have the 16 Gb until this update rolls out for FSD beta testers. Almost all my games are thru steam so I’d love to have it in my car and will be disappointed if I dont have the hardware.

That said, I don’t fault Tesla for releasing new features outside of the model year calendar and I view it like a high end PC - almost instantly outdated as new tech rolls out. That doesn’t make your pc bad. Nobody else is even thinking of these crazy innovations.