Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering and Vibration on a Brand New MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if anyone had similar issues recently with a new MY:

We took a delivery of our first Tesla on 7/15/21 (MY LR with upgraded wheels). Driving right off the lot, we noticed the car had high frequency vibration at highway speeds, would wonder left, right and the steering wheel had to be turned 2-3 degrees for the car to go straight.

Came home and decided to check wheel lug nut torque. Was able to turn each nut 1/4 to 1/2 turn when torqueing to 128 lb. ft. This means that the wheels were somewhat lose when left the factory. The car drove better, but still had some pool, steering wheel crocked and vibration.

Was able to ask for an appointment at a Tesla SC within 5 days from the delivery as oppose to 3 weeks available through the app. The SC did alignment and told me that they though that balance is not an issue, hence, they did not attempt it. The car still has some vibration at high speed and handling a odd, not like a test drive car we drove before ordering.

I noticed that one of the front wheels has a huge (not exaggerating) balance weight attached (see the pic). Wonder if it contributes to this issue or if the foam inside may have something to do with it.

Has anyone had similar issues with new MYs?

Attachments

• IMG_8683.JPG
    IMG_8683.JPG
    406 KB · Views: 760
They do. There are a decent number of threads about foam in the tires separating or about how tire shops don’t always want to repair a tire with foam inside.

Bro, I just seen them replace my tire. I have a 2021 MY. There 100% is foam in them.

Do you folks happen to have any links to videos/pics that show it? I've seen it for the MX, but not MY. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Well, how about that!

I have one in the garage. I'll look AGAIN!!! Mine is charcoal colored, for sure...but seriously, why does the color matter???? :eek:

I suppose it all depends on who is supplying the foam to the manufacturer. But again, why does the color matter???

Reactions: AlexHung
Upvote 0
Wondering if anyone had similar issues recently with a new MY:

We took a delivery of our first Tesla on 7/15/21 (MY LR with upgraded wheels). Driving right off the lot, we noticed the car had high frequency vibration at highway speeds, would wonder left, right and the steering wheel had to be turned 2-3 degrees for the car to go straight.

Came home and decided to check wheel lug nut torque. Was able to turn each nut 1/4 to 1/2 turn when torqueing to 128 lb. ft. This means that the wheels were somewhat lose when left the factory. The car drove better, but still had some pool, steering wheel crocked and vibration.

Was able to ask for an appointment at a Tesla SC within 5 days from the delivery as oppose to 3 weeks available through the app. The SC did alignment and told me that they though that balance is not an issue, hence, they did not attempt it. The car still has some vibration at high speed and handling a odd, not like a test drive car we drove before ordering.

I noticed that one of the front wheels has a huge (not exaggerating) balance weight attached (see the pic). Wonder if it contributes to this issue or if the foam inside may have something to do with it.

Has anyone had similar issues with new MYs?
I just got it taken in at 2985 miles on the odometer. Took delivery in March and the car has driven perfect since.
The other day out of nowhere it just randomly started vibrating on the freeway. This was over 60mph.
I took it into SC and now the vibrations are less but come back strong at speeds over 80mph which is still unacceptable.
Furthermore, after picking up the car today, my steering wheel is off! it is turned slightly to the right but the car drives straight.
I have completely lost all driving pleasure because this car was perfect.
Should I take it back in and will they cover it all through warranty or should I just go to ta third party wheel alignment place?
Please help :-(

Upvote 0
We picked up our 07/2021 production MY in early August and right away I noticed a vibration at highway speeds plus the steering wheel was off to the right. I booked an an appointment through the app and took it in a few days later to the Railside service center in Toronto, Canada. They did an alignment and supposedly balanced the two front wheels (although the invoice did not reflect this). Alignment fixed the steering wheel being off and can now drives straight, but still had the vibration. So I booked another appointment and a few days later returned to the Railside SC and this time they balanced / checked all four wheels. That fixed the vibration and the SC guy told me they had quite a few cars lately come from the factory with these same issues. Anyway, the Railside SC has been great and each visit I only waited around 2 hours for them to fix the car, the staff there are really nice..

Upvote 0
I don't think they do the foram for MY.

Now, it is most likely the wheel tire and/or balance. They should check it. If you don't want to wait, go to a good tire shop and have them check it.
They have foam for both the 21" and 19"s . i just had the rears replaced on our staggered 21"s. Although, I absolutely agree with you in regards to getting the wheels balanced and alignment if needed.

• Informative
Reactions: GOVA
Upvote 0
We picked up our 07/2021 production MY in early August and right away I noticed a vibration at highway speeds plus the steering wheel was off to the right. I booked an an appointment through the app and took it in a few days later to the Railside service center in Toronto, Canada. They did an alignment and supposedly balanced the two front wheels (although the invoice did not reflect this). Alignment fixed the steering wheel being off and can now drives straight, but still had the vibration. So I booked another appointment and a few days later returned to the Railside SC and this time they balanced / checked all four wheels. That fixed the vibration and the SC guy told me they had quite a few cars lately come from the factory with these same issues. Anyway, the Railside SC has been great and each visit I only waited around 2 hours for them to fix the car, the staff there are really nice..
What was the issue? Alignment? I noticed this vibration today while driving over 80 mph on my MYP.

Upvote 0
PackMan730, I wouldn't assume numgis' issue is your issue. Keep it simple, try to isolate which corner is vibrating...do you feel it more in you butt or in the steering wheel? Start with wheel/tire balance.
As with any new car, I always pay the extra $120 or so to have an indie shop check/correct alignment. I then have a baseline of settings/numbers to have on file.

Reactions: Sixth
Upvote 0
What was the issue? Alignment? I noticed this vibration today while driving over 80 mph on my MYP.
Its wheel balancing or the foam is loose. Now here is the dilemma with using Tesla to balance your wheels and tires. They are not allowed to go over the posted speed limit. So in our case when we had this problem. They would take a drive, claim nothing was wrong and our problem wasn't addressed. Find a non chain tire shop. They will add the necessary weights to your wheels to balance it out. Goodluck

Upvote 0