Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Wheel creaking - Control Arm or Steering/suspension problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I recently started hearing creaking noises coming from what it appears to be either my suspension or steering column. The sound is coming from the front drivers side. I hear the annoying noise when I am turning or hitting bumps on the road. I can also hear it when my car is parked and by turning the steering wheel left and right?

Based on my research it sounds like it could be the control arms or maybe the something to do with the steering column (possibly not enough lubrication). I am lowered on Unplugged Performance springs but the ride and height is still normal so I don't think the springs is what's causing the problems. If I am lowered, Tesla may not warranty the control arms, so I'm trying to do as much research before I can the service center or convert back to stock before bringing it in.

Any ideas?

I have had the steering column noise on my personal car. You can try adjusting the tilt/extension of the steering wheel and see if it eliminates the noise. If it isn't that, I would bet on the control arms or springs! We have had customers take their 3 lowered on our coilovers for the control arm warranty and it went perfectly fine.

I have had the steering column noise on my personal car. You can try adjusting the tilt/extension of the steering wheel and see if it eliminates the noise. If it isn't that, I would bet on the control arms or springs! We have had customers take their 3 lowered on our coilovers for the control arm warranty and it went perfectly fine.

I'm bringing in the car in to a local indy shop to see if they can diagnose the problem. If they claim, its the control arm, I am worried the service center won't warranty due to aftermarket springs. I'm hoping the SC can just fix it under warranty since this appears to be a common problem with the 3. If it's the steering, I would think it should be covered regardless if it's lowered. Thoughts?

I'm bringing in the car in to a local indy shop to see if they can diagnose the problem. If they claim, its the control arm, I am worried the service center won't warranty due to aftermarket springs. I'm hoping the SC can just fix it under warranty since this appears to be a common problem with the 3. If it's the steering, I would think it should be covered regardless if it's lowered. Thoughts?
You should be covered under warranty. Tesla is aware of the control arm issues.
Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia

You should be covered under warranty. Tesla is aware of the control arm issues.
Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia

My indy mechanic confirmed it is the upper control arm that's causing the squeaking. He sprayed a little grease which helped a little but I'm sure it'll come back once it dries up.

I called Tesla SC and they said that its covered under warranty as long as they find that the lowering springs did not cause the control arm to fail. I personally feel that it's extremely difficult to prove either way....

I had the creaking that was ridiculously loud. For me the creaking could be reproduced easily when turning the steering wheel. Got an appt with the SC and they replaced the upper control arm under warranty . Much better now! I’m not embarrassed to pull out of my driveway anymore. Not a very good advertisement for Tesla when it sounds like a 30 year old car. Overall good experience with the SC and you couldn’t pry this car away from way me.