Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel leather FAIL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sunscreen and other cosmetics cause the synthetic leather to bubble up, but Tesla refuses to fix it under warranty. Neutrogena sunscreen is just about as gentle on the skin as you can get, but it will destroy a Model Y interior. After one seat cover replacement lasted only a few months, I started using black duct tape in my $70,000 car.

I have this carbon fiber steering wheel. Much better and cheaper than Tesla stock steering wheels. The grip is really nice and has sports car feel. Very easy to install.

20230106_171807.jpg

Peter

This happened to me. Important notice:
1. If you ask during the service they might very well cover, as this is a common issue.
2. the Tesla ranger who came to replace said that they are about to introduce a new steering wheel which prevents the bubbling/blistering issue. It might take up to a year until it comes out so you might want to delay the “in warranty” replacement. I couldn’t because mine was in bad shape).

Reactions: DanDi58
steering wheel has started to bubble up... Started service appt and was told this is normal “wear and tear”...
Dad, I had this happen and was afraid exactly that was going to happen. First, I'm fortunate that the first time I searched it here, the first two posts I found were from people who did successfully get it covered under warranty. Second, I procrastinated on it for a LONG TIME, and perhaps that worked in my favor. Tesla didn't flinch at replacing it under warranty

Here's what it looked like when I sent them photos:

IMG_1239.JPG