Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Wheel Torque Sensor Wearing Out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 is a LR RWD built in June 2018. VIN 46xxx. 16,000 miles on it now and it SEEMS to me that the amount of torque required for the steering wheel sensor to "detect" my hand is higher than it was in the past.

A few notes:

I tend to rest my left hand LIGHTLY on the left side of the wheel when driving. This is not enough for AP to detect my hand continuously. So I get the nag often, and apply slight force.

I tend to use a counterclockwise torque to satisfy the nag a VAST majority of the time.

The sensor seems to require more torque in the counterclockwise direction than clockwise (now, not before). In other words, it is easier to get the nag to stop by applying clockwise torque than counterclockwise torque.

I use the standard steering wheel setting for driving style. I have noticed in the past that using the comfort setting seems to require less torque to satisfy the sensor, and sport requires more.

I'm wondering if this is some sort of wear on the steering wheel torque sensor system (because one direction seems "different" than the other). However, I have also noticed that AP nags seem to have gotten more frequent with newer software updates as time has gone on. I think it's possible that Tesla has done this intentionally to force drivers to pay closer attention as AP gets more capable with new features as we move closer to FSD, which I suspect will be enabled yet still require hands on the wheel before it becomes fully legal for hands off use. Having said that, I also wonder if they may have increased the amount of torque required to satisfy this sensor with software updates as well?

Anyone else notice anything similar? Is this all in my head? Or is it perhaps some kind of wear I should consider having service take a look at?

My Model 3 is a LR RWD built in June 2018. VIN 46xxx. 16,000 miles on it now and it SEEMS to me that the amount of torque required for the steering wheel sensor to "detect" my hand is higher than it was in the past.

A few notes:

I tend to rest my left hand LIGHTLY on the left side of the wheel when driving. This is not enough for AP to detect my hand continuously. So I get the nag often, and apply slight force.

I tend to use a counterclockwise torque to satisfy the nag a VAST majority of the time.

The sensor seems to require more torque in the counterclockwise direction than clockwise (now, not before). In other words, it is easier to get the nag to stop by applying clockwise torque than counterclockwise torque.

I use the standard steering wheel setting for driving style. I have noticed in the past that using the comfort setting seems to require less torque to satisfy the sensor, and sport requires more.

I'm wondering if this is some sort of wear on the steering wheel torque sensor system (because one direction seems "different" than the other). However, I have also noticed that AP nags seem to have gotten more frequent with newer software updates as time has gone on. I think it's possible that Tesla has done this intentionally to force drivers to pay closer attention as AP gets more capable with new features as we move closer to FSD, which I suspect will be enabled yet still require hands on the wheel before it becomes fully legal for hands off use. Having said that, I also wonder if they may have increased the amount of torque required to satisfy this sensor with software updates as well?

Anyone else notice anything similar? Is this all in my head? Or is it perhaps some kind of wear I should consider having service take a look at?

I have noticed this as well. I rest my left hand on the wheel at 7-8 o’clock. In the past this has been enough to prevent most warnings and a gentle tug to cancel any. Now it definitely requires a stronger tug or input to cancel the warning. It’s not wear or in your head. Must have been modified in one of the recent downloads.

Old thread at this point, but recently it has seemed like it's possible that it's not more torque required, but perhaps it has to detect the torque for a longer amount of time. If that's true, I can see how it would APPEAR that it requires more torque. I've tried to test it where I'll put a small amount of torque on it briefly which isn't enough to remove the nag. Then I'll do the same amount of torque and just hold it there longer and that seems to satisfy it.

It's not a super technical experiment but seems relatively consistent.

Reactions: TomB985
I'm constantly getting the nag with both hands on the wheel at 9/10 and 2/3. And I am someone who changes the volume up and down a lot which should limit some of the nagging. I need to move the wheel with a decent amount of effort to get it to recognize.

If I put one hand at around 6 on the wheel - which is uncomfortable for me and, IMO, less safe, I dot not get the nag.

This makes me use AP less than I would like.

I've definitely noticed more nag intervention over the last couple updates, but not enough to gripe about.

I suspect Tesla may be trying to work around the morons that use oranges and water bottles or socks filled with coins to defeat the "nag".

I'm one of these morons. I have wheel weights banded to the right side of my steering wheel because a progressive hand disability makes it very painful to grip the wheel for more than a minute or two at a time. Autopilot is the entire reason I bought the car.

Sometimes I get persistent nags even with my weight, but the majority of the time the car is happy with the few ounces on the steering wheel spoke. I can't explain why it's inconsistent, but I just went on a 260-mi trip to the Mayo clinic yesterday and didn't see the nag once.