Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Wheel Vibration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my 22 Model 3 Peformance a week ago with 1,100 miles on it.

Noticed a pretty good wheel shake from 60-80mph.. brought to service center. They said rear wheel was bent, they put a brand new rear wheel and tire on. Rebalanced all four wheels. Still shaking.

Super frustrating. This is my first Tesla and between the steering wheel shaking and the massive amount of paint chips already this will likely be my last.

Anyone else having similar vibrations? Im guessing the Pirellis are junk. I probably should of stuck with a german daily driver. These 20” wheels are getting sold for a better 19” wheel with more tire.

$65k car shouldnt drive this way.

@1flossedm3 The Pirelli PZ4 are junk in terms of performance for their category / treadwear. That said they didn't cause any steering wheel shake for me, and I haven't seen any widespread reports of that here. Maybe it's a tire, but maybe it's something else.

Service center ought to be able to to figure this out, even if they have to keep throwing new parts at it. Super frustrating on a brand new car though. Obviously don't let them ever claim it's normal. It's not normal, most Model 3 Performance don't have steering wheel shake. What you described sounds like my old '93 Saturn 😄 (9-10 years old when I was driving it).

If I were you, I would NOT change out the wheels or tires until this is fixed! I'm with you on wanting to ditch the stock 20" wheels and tires though, I swapped mine out at 1k miles.

Picked up my 22 Model 3 Peformance a week ago with 1,100 miles on it.

Noticed a pretty good wheel shake from 60-80mph.. brought to service center. They said rear wheel was bent, they put a brand new rear wheel and tire on. Rebalanced all four wheels. Still shaking.

Super frustrating. This is my first Tesla and between the steering wheel shaking and the massive amount of paint chips already this will likely be my last.

Anyone else having similar vibrations? Im guessing the Pirellis are junk. I probably should of stuck with a german daily driver. These 20” wheels are getting sold for a better 19” wheel with more tire.

$65k car shouldnt drive this way.

I wonder if that issue is why the car was there for you to buy with 1100 miles on it (meaning someone got rid of it pretty fast). I am also surprised that someone would be talking about being concerned about paint chips, but ok with buying a used vehicle where you couldnt be the first one to do whatever you wanted to do with it, if thats something that bothers you.

@jjrandorin Good point, I kind of glossed over that the car in question isn't brand new. Whoops! Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if this vibration was one of the reasons someone flipped it so quickly... :(

Still, it's under warranty and Tesla should be able to fix it.

I had my ‘21 M3P in the service center three times for vibratiion / balance issue. The issue existed since delivery. First two times they dismissed it as normal. The third time (at a different service center) they said one wheel was out of balance and rebalanced it. The issue still persisted. I took the car to a local tire shop and had the wheels checked for straightnesses and road force balanced. Problem solved. The tire shop said all four wheels were out of balance by .25 oz or more…

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
I wonder if that issue is why the car was there for you to buy with 1100 miles on it (meaning someone got rid of it pretty fast). I am also surprised that someone would be talking about being concerned about paint chips, but ok with buying a used vehicle where you couldnt be the first one to do whatever you wanted to do with it, if thats something that bothers you.
The car was demo’d by a GM at a dealership for a few months. Doubtful they noticed the issue, im pretty hyper sensitive to this stuff unfortunately. My wife barely notices it but i drive at 70-80 frequently.

The car was demo’d by a GM at a dealership for a few months. Doubtful they noticed the issue, im pretty hyper sensitive to this stuff unfortunately. My wife barely notices it but i drive at 70-80 frequently.

It certainly isn't normal, so I would either stay on the service center to get it fixed, or try a tire shop for the balancing.

Also, if you are noticing this as you change lanes (without signaling) this is the lane departure warning system. You can turn that off.