Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Wheel / Yoke option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad you are getting the option as well. Has the yoke been polarizing there or have a lot of people liked it?
Everyone who drove in my car thought it was a bit stupid. But I think it's similar to the US, some people hate it, some people like it. Personally I do not dislike it on the highway, because well, you don't have to steer. In tight city streets + parking, it's just not great. Parking spots in European cities are tight. In fact, the Model S hardly fits normal street parking spots here. It's wide.
Of course there will also be people like: "If you can't drive the Yoke, you're not a proper driver, you're not using it correctly". Well frankly, I could care less. To me it's something which was completely unnecessary and not better in any way.

Personally I do not dislike it on the highway, because well, you don't have to steer. In tight city streets + parking, it's just not great.... Of course there will also be people like: "If you can't drive the Yoke, you're not a proper driver, you're not using it correctly". Well frankly, I could care less. To me it's something which was completely unnecessary and not better in any way.
Those people are very few in number... and probably lacking some intelligence.
If I could easily do it, I would swap out the yoke for long highway drives, and back to the wheel for city use. I have been driving with my yoke for 18 months now, and got to say that I am really used to it now, and admittedly, kind of like it. But, only because it is really cool looking. There is not a rational person on the planet who can say that it drives better than a wheel.

Everyone who drove in my car thought it was a bit stupid. But I think it's similar to the US, some people hate it, some people like it. Personally I do not dislike it on the highway, because well, you don't have to steer. In tight city streets + parking, it's just not great. Parking spots in European cities are tight. In fact, the Model S hardly fits normal street parking spots here. It's wide.
Of course there will also be people like: "If you can't drive the Yoke, you're not a proper driver, you're not using it correctly". Well frankly, I could care less. To me it's something which was completely unnecessary and not better in any way.
It is definitely interesting to hear your opinion. Your response is aligned with what I thought you might say. I worked in London for a few months and in Ireland for almost a year. I always tried to have a smaller-sized rental car when there. One time I was stuck with a 5 series BMW and ended up someplace in Northern Ireland where the road got so narrow I couldn't go any farther. I had to back up almost a mile before there was enough room to turn the car around.

The S is definitely a big car. If you have to park it Europe, and you don't have the parking sensors, I imagine there would be a lot of reasons to curse Tesla. Doing multipoint turns is not the forte of the yoke in its current iteration. Given how many European streets were built around horses and ox carts, it still amazes me the amount of car traffic there. Maybe Tesla needs to make something the size of the original Mini. I had one of those and miss it a lot.

It is definitely interesting to hear your opinion. Your response is aligned with what I thought you might say. I worked in London for a few months and in Ireland for almost a year. I always tried to have a smaller-sized rental car when there. One time I was stuck with a 5 series BMW and ended up someplace in Northern Ireland where the road got so narrow I couldn't go any farther. I had to back up almost a mile before there was enough room to turn the car around.

The S is definitely a big car. If you have to park it Europe, and you don't have the parking sensors, I imagine there would be a lot of reasons to curse Tesla. Doing multipoint turns is not the forte of the yoke in its current iteration. Given how many European streets were built around horses and ox carts, it still amazes me the amount of car traffic there. Maybe Tesla needs to make something the size of the original Mini. I had one of those and miss it a lot.
Luckily I still have the parking sensors. If you're missing those on the HW4 cars, I can imagine parking is not much fun, until they figure out the vision only stuff properly.