Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I actually had 2 steering wheel replacements with my Mondeo over 4 years. both from the same issue (peeling of top layer)

because "Vegan" PVC "leather" is not leather - it is material consisting of at least 3 layers and there might be manufacturing defects or unwanted chemical reaction to heat/oils from skin etc.;)

because "Vegan" PVC "leather" is not leather - it is material consisting of at least 3 layers and there might be manufacturing defects or unwanted chemical reaction to heat/oils from skin etc.;)
Well that’s disappointing. I thought vegan leather was made with actual vegans… After eating all that kale they must have soft, supple skin that would be nice to wrap around a steering wheel…

Well that’s disappointing. I thought vegan leather was made with actual vegans… After eating all that kale they must have soft, supple skin that would be nice to wrap around a steering wheel…
I though the same.. i was actually ready for vegan hunting season the other day, and then these news...

BlackGleamingCobra-max-1mb.gif

By the way - Do You know how to tell that there is a vegan in a party?!

- THEY FUKCIN TELL YOU!

Noticed mine has started doing this lately. You can massage the bubble around, I've tried getting rid of it via the seams but doesn't want to co-operate.

2.5 years and 33k miles hopefully service don't give me the old wear and tear argument.

Attachments

• 20231023_154608.jpg
    20231023_154608.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 59
Can you massage it out of sight and give it a tiny pin prick to release the air?

Did consider that....but when I looked at it again today its almost looking quite worn at the top, which is weird as I NEVER drive with my hand there, so I'm going to assume its the sun that's done it.

I don't want to play with it myself just yet. I'll see what service say first and go from there. My only concern is the car is 2.5 years old....should I wait until its getting closer to end of warranty before I potentially get a free steering wheel replaced to get the most life out of it, or do I take the chance that if they are going to do it at all, it'll be sooner rather than later and then this one lasts 2.5 years and a year out of warranty I need to pay for it.

Decisions decisions...

Reactions: M1tch
Noticed mine has started doing this lately. You can massage the bubble around, I've tried getting rid of it via the seams but doesn't want to co-operate.

2.5 years and 33k miles hopefully service don't give me the old wear and tear argument.
do not massage it out!

this crap "leather like" product is of (at least) 3 layers:
- fabric on the back side (most cases)
- foamy mid section which provides the "cushion" feeling
- top layer which is PVC.

if you get bubble like this, effectively you are getting air in-between foamy layer and top layer - if you massage it our, you just spread air further, whilst detaching even more of the top layer...

what is worrying me, that my car is 1 year 8 months old, but I am at 38k miles already... if this develops... I wonder how much it costs to replace..

• Informative
Reactions: Billbrown1982
Well I just opened a service request and literally 3 minutes later they accepted under warranty and I'm getting it done by a mobile ranger tomorrow! Wasn't expecting it that fast. Which is great.

The estimate shows the wheel costs £395.83 with a labour charge of £165 excluding VAT, so you gotta be looking at around £675 unfortunately

Disappointing visit from the tech. He started the call by saying that every one of these he's been to he's not been able to undo the steering wheel bolt because its torqued up too much, and it's had to go into a service center to be drilled out.

Mine is no exception.

The bigger concern was that he kind of made a big deal about it being replaced under warranty and said he expected it should be a customer pay job as the car is 2.5 years old...I didn't want to get into an argument with him over it but thank god he's not the guy that makes those decisions!

Updating this for perhaps my own benefit as much as anything, but also a little warning to others.

I took the car into Tesla yesterday to get the steering wheel done at last. In the time since the mobile tech visit the coating had completely come off the wheel in places, there's no way I would have been happy leaving it as it is, even out of warranty.

Was only there about 20 minutes before a very dejected tech came out to see me and basically told me the whole thing is seized solid because its been over-torqued at the factory and I need a whole new steering wheel column, which has to be ordered in and that my car was no longer safe to drive.

Thankfully they had a courtesy car there otherwise I would have been sooo screwed, so i'm now running around in a nice 69 plate model 3 for a bit.

If this had been outside of warranty, well yeah I wouldn't have been at all happy with the extra cost, no idea what the steering column is going to come in at.

• Informative
Reactions: Irata
That's all a bit worrying, they really should not be getting the torque levels wrong at the factory. They'll know when they corrected that, so they'll know which cars are affected.

This is the bit that annoys me with Tesla at times and I'd hope they'd be different to other car manufacturers. They know when a defect happend at the factory, or a part has an intrinsic fault which means consumers should be protected regardless of the age of car.

I think they hope things will creep out of the warranty period and the customer simply accepts the cost.

@Billbrown1982 I'm trying to work out when yours was built? Is it made in China? So one of their first builds?