Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering yoke class action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
pic or didnt happen.jpg

Upvote 0
+1 for different SC if possible. I am a bit shocked they wouldn't replace it for you if it's peeling quite a bit. I know some might think I'm a bit out of touch saying I'd be shocked.

My local SC here in Tulsa has always gone above and beyond for me while my car was still in warranty. I even got panels replaced for scratches after a service. They did scratch it but they could have blown me off. No way they would have denied something like my steering wheel peeling.

You got a picture of it? I've read about this but not had a chance to see how bad it is.

Another lame option is a steering wheel cover if you are desperate. I had a 98 Formula with 170k miles that had the wheel start to peel, and the cover got me all the way to 212K!

Upvote 0
My Plaid yoke is peeling badly and Tesla is refusing to replace it until the "new and improved" version is released. I have been hearing the new version will be released soon for the last 8 months, but I have now run out of patience! I am now hiring a lawyer to pursue this further.
You will spend far more money than you'll ever recoup over something like this. There are aftermarket things you can do in the meantime or Tesla will eventually have a fix for this.

Upvote 0
Member Ed Hart posted this picture in another thread.
Is this typical of the problem?

If so one should be able to fix this with the rubberized tool coating while awaiting a new steering wheel from Tesla.
Can also add a touch of white to tone the black color to a dark grey.
After water sanding smoother and applying the coating it can be water sanded again
when dry and recoated if need be.
Then use your finger or a rag pressing on it while it's drying to give it some texture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mine has been replaced twice and the SC said as soon as the new Yoke comes out, they will let me replace it again. Some one here has replaced theirs like 5 times. Just try a different SC.
My 2021 Plaid is perfect.
Trying my refinish suggestion is quicker than waiting for Tesla.
The mobile service should be able to replace the wheel although an appointment can be a few weeks
if they have the wheel.

Upvote 0
I suspect that would void the warranty. 🤣
I don't know.
I think my fix would work in the mean time.
It's just a suggestion for someone handy.
I would contact Tesla or visit a service center if possible and show them the peeling to see what they say.
You could document the peeling with them and be put on an order list.
Or you could wait and drive around with a fugly wheel.
You could also just clean it up and paint it without doing a perfect job or wrap it with electrical tape to at least make it better while not voiding the warranty.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't know.
I think my fix would work in the mean time.
It's just a suggestion for someone handy.
I would contact Tesla or visit a service center if possible and show them the peeling to see what they say.
You could document the peeling with them and be put on an order list.
Or you could wait and drive around with a fugly wheel.
You could also just clean it up and paint it without doing a perfect job or wrap it with electrical tape to at least make it better while not voiding the warranty.
Or they could waste everyone's time and money by bringing in a lawyer over a trivial issue.

• Disagree
Reactions: jaguar36
Upvote 0
I would join a class action suit about the lack of center horn button in my 2022 Model S yoke. Very dangerous. Fortunately no accidents yet but some close calls without horn access. I do hope they offer to replace it for all of us impacted.
Just get some of these $4.25 cabinet stops

and put one over the horn button like this

and it will work everytime.

I also added some that I painted flat black on the left side so I don't keep hitting the turn signal when I press the scroll for the next track.

Upvote 0