Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Yoke installed and loving it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Random question, do you think there would be an issue with your insurance or leaving yourself open to liability if you were to get in to an accident? If someone installs an aftermarket steering wheel that is so drastically different than OEM, would your insurance be able to use it as an “out” to cover you for an accident that could be deemed due to the yoke? Could someone come after you personally if you caused an accident?
I can say for sure if someone hits me in a Y or 3 and I see a yoke installed, I’m definitely using that against them when it comes to liability.

Exactly this.

As an FYI, a friend of mine had his insurance claim of hitting a deer denied because he had aftermarket headlight rings installed in his BMW. Headlights still worked and were unmodified, he just added halo rings around the headlights. Claim denied as the insurance company said the reason for hitting the deer at dusk was limited due to modifications to the vehicles DOT approved headlights.

There's no doubt a half steering wheel would be the first reason for claim denial. MORE IMPORTANTLY though, if someone were injured in an accident they could sue you claiming you could not control your vehicle and avoid the accident. That's the bigger liability.

Exactly this.

As an FYI, a friend of mine had his insurance claim of hitting a deer denied because he had aftermarket headlight rings installed in his BMW. Headlights still worked and were unmodified, he just added halo rings around the headlights. Claim denied as the insurance company said the reason for hitting the deer at dusk was limited due to modifications to the vehicles DOT approved headlights.

There's no doubt a half steering wheel would be the first reason for claim denial. MORE IMPORTANTLY though, if someone were injured in an accident they could sue you claiming you could not control your vehicle and avoid the accident. That's the bigger liability.
I'd be pretty pissed at the insurance company if that was me, especially if the projector assembly is unmodified. The projector assembly BMW uses is actually one piece and bolts to the headlight frame, at least it did on mine, as I tinkered with mine many years ago... Plus, it's not like the lighting would make any difference.. Deer can jump out from the bushes or behind a fence. (I live in deer country). Sometimes there is no way to avoid the deer, even in broad daylight.

Plus if they really think that would make a difference, I'd ask them to look at a DOT approved 9007 headlamp assembly from any vehicle, and see how well that illuminates a dark country road....

I'd be pretty pissed at the insurance company if that was me, especially if the projector assembly is unmodified. The projector assembly BMW uses is actually one piece and bolts to the headlight frame, at least it did on mine, as I tinkered with mine many years ago... Plus, it's not like the lighting would make any difference.. Deer can jump out from the bushes or behind a fence. (I live in deer country). Sometimes there is no way to avoid the deer, even in broad daylight.

Plus if they really think that would make a difference, I'd ask them to look at a DOT approved 9007 headlamp assembly from any vehicle, and see how well that illuminates a dark country road....
He was pissed, and rightfully so. This was a pre-angel eye halo light model BMW. If I remember correctly, it involved drilling into the light assembly and fishing a fiber optic cable inside.

The point is, the insurance company *can* deny a claim if a safety feature of the car - in this case headlights - are modified. The same can be said for a controversial steering wheel.

He was pissed, and rightfully so. This was a pre-angel eye halo light model BMW. If I remember correctly, it involved drilling into the light assembly and fishing a fiber optic cable inside.

The point is, the insurance company *can* deny a claim if a safety feature of the car - in this case headlights - are modified. The same can be said for a controversial steering wheel.
Which insurer was this so I know never to deal with them?

Reactions: avs007
Thinking about putting a yoke steering wheel in my 2021 model 3. I was hoping to see some pictures from folks that have installed this already.

Also a few ?s

it looks like AliExpress now includes the heating wire so you don’t have to cut the old one? I have a lease so I don’t really want to cut any wires.
does the heated yoke work as well as the original wheel?
I have seen some concerns around the air bag not working properly if you switch to a yoke?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. On the couch due to knee surgery so I have plenty of time to research.

...Thinking about putting a yoke steering wheel in my 2021 model 3. I was hoping to see some pictures from folks that have installed this already...
See:

See:

(moderator note)

Thread merged with thread you mentioned, which is why your post is now in the thread you posted about)

I prefer the alcantara covered aftermarket one myself... I don't want to have turn signal buttons (and other controls) on the yoke.

Keith
Thats not exactly what I meant.. In general that overall shape/look of the TESLA Yoke is nice imo, comparatively. If they somehow omitted the capacitive buttons (or cancelled the functionality and covered the icons) which would allow it to then function (scroll wheels)on a 3 or Y, I would buy. I'm surprised they are not THAT forward thinking.. Perfect opportunity for additional revenue especially in the world of 'modding cars'..

I guess a horn would still be needed. Maybe the Steering System downstream would allow for such..?

$0.02