Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stick on vinyl number plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My lease is up in 8 weeks. I added vinyl plates about 3 years ago and they have held up well.

Is this a modification I’d have to unwind, and reinstall the original plates, as part of preparing my car to hand back - or can they be left as is?

My lease is up in 8 weeks. I added vinyl plates about 3 years ago and they have held up well.

Is this a modification I’d have to unwind, and reinstall the original plates, as part of preparing my car to hand back - or can they be left as is?
I traded mine in to Tesla with vinyl plates on but put the original and the holders etc in the boot. They did not seem to care

Why would you go for 3D/4D?
Personal preference really, different people like different things. Same reason that some people might buy a pink shirt, and another guy might think it is hideous.

Why we don’t see that many Teslas with 3D/4D
I would imagine it is a combination of things. Maybe partly the contours of the car (especially on the front) making it difficult to fit them. The plinths are not great quality so people may not trust the additional weight stuck to them, and the the plate surrounds are too tight to hold a standard plastic plate (hence the metal plates from new).

There is the option of matching up the screw holes and drilling the plate, but its a lot of effort.

Personal preference really, different people like different things. Same reason that some people might buy a pink shirt, and another guy might think it is hideous.

I would imagine it is a combination of things. Maybe partly the contours of the car (especially on the front) making it difficult to fit them. The plinths are not great quality so people may not trust the additional weight stuck to them, and the the plate surrounds are too tight to hold a standard plastic plate (hence the metal plates from new).

There is the option of matching up the screw holes and drilling the plate, but its a lot of effort.
So, is it the ‘car’ or the ‘person’. Looks like you’ve answered ‘both’.

So 4D plates are the ones that change over the time dimension then?
I have no idea why they are called 4D, I didn't name them... but there is a differentiation between 3D and 4D. 4D has a "stand off" letter/number, where are 3D are sort of domed.

So, is it the ‘car’ or the ‘person’. Looks like you’ve answered ‘both’.
I would say it likely is 'both' tbh. Some people may like 3D/4D but don't like the faff of how to mount them.