Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stick on vinyl number plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the front number plate fitted a few days ago. It definately looks better than the standard.
given how small any gain would be I am not sure how anyone would be able to make that determination even if they tried
Also sorted at the back out now by taking the plate out of the plastic case and removing the case and plinth. 3m double sided tape on the plate put on the car. Makes cleaning around it a lot easier also. Ive also replaced the front and back T’s with matt black ones and have a matt black duel motor letter set on order to complete the black set. I also added steering wheel wraps at £6.35. These mods have been very cheap really. I didn’t like the wood panels so got carbon fibre matte imitation from ali express for £35 instead of real carbon fibre covers at £375, and a centre console wrap for £7 from ebay. The only other mod i will get and a bit more expensive is privacy tint like on the model y, back window, rear doors and rear quarters for £350 plus vat. I have also included photos of the energy app results of a long trip i did where i wanted to avoid stopping at a supercharger. I only had one survey that day and thought i would see if i could could make it. Temperature ranged from 0 to 7 degrees over the trip. From start to site stayed at 55mph from site to home ranged from 55-60mph. Started at 100 percent battery and did 314 miles with 48 miles to spare. I do have some fun at the weekends in my car but more disciplined in the week when i would rather, most of the time use minimal supercharging.
Looking forward to a new model S one day😉

Attachments

• 267C1AB3-9F78-44DF-8ADA-60740FE9FB19.jpeg
    267C1AB3-9F78-44DF-8ADA-60740FE9FB19.jpeg
    791.3 KB · Views: 237
  • D1D726F4-1959-4E88-A627-CE22B4CA292A.jpeg
    D1D726F4-1959-4E88-A627-CE22B4CA292A.jpeg
    556.4 KB · Views: 165
  • C66AE2CF-0BA9-4B7F-BB20-C4D5BF1B368A.jpeg
    C66AE2CF-0BA9-4B7F-BB20-C4D5BF1B368A.jpeg
    717 KB · Views: 152
  • 613395BC-C4F1-4989-A50D-B04534F601F1.jpeg
    613395BC-C4F1-4989-A50D-B04534F601F1.jpeg
    386 KB · Views: 163
  • 0D3CD1BA-ADDD-4CEE-8335-26DCE33A5DD1.jpeg
    0D3CD1BA-ADDD-4CEE-8335-26DCE33A5DD1.jpeg
    394.7 KB · Views: 158
  • 3772CF1C-5325-4A0F-9C9F-529AEDB8B3FA.jpeg
    3772CF1C-5325-4A0F-9C9F-529AEDB8B3FA.jpeg
    477.8 KB · Views: 174
Got mine from onestopnumberplates.co.uk

Took my time fitting them (today) and getting them straight. Fairly easy job, front plate was a bit more awkward due to the curve in the bumper.

I didn't bother filling in the recess in the back, just covered it with the plate.

Front just needed the burrs from the screw holes rounding off (I used a countersink drill bit).

Spray the back of the vinyl with a very weak soap solution, so you can move it a bit, once in place, made sure there were no bubbles by using a credit card wrapped in a microfibre cloth.

Far better look than the original plate holders. 👌

View attachment 770807View attachment 770808View attachment 770809
How did you get the green EV symbol? I can’t seem to find the option on the website?

Where is the best place to buy the stick on plates ??

Plenty of advice in this thread e.g.

How did you get the green EV symbol? I can’t seem to find the option on the website?
Scroll down the homepage a bit, click on the Stick-On Vinyl Plates image. On that page select the Add Badge option. When you check out, there's an order notes box, where you need to specify the badge type you want, which is "EV" (or one of the others if you want a logo on it).

The badges seem to have been an afterthought on the page, which was never added to the actual ordering process. The instructions are on the page, but it's not very obvious... I got my stick on vinyl plates from there & they are good quality, despite the less-than-perfect website.

Reactions: Morpheus84
Running through this thread did anyone settle on
Front - acrylic plate
Rear - normal mounted plate
???
We used heavy duty Velcro on acrylic plates. Wouldn’t recommend this for front. as we found our plate on the ground one very hot day. The heavy duty adhesive (rated at 7kg per 50mm x 100mm and whole plate was covered so larger area) had failed in the heat of the sun - no issue with the Velcro. I suspect the slight bend on the plate was enough to exceed the weight when heated. Very hot day - plate would have been heated similarly to that of a heat gun used to remove glue from these things. I’m not convinced that the 3M number plate tape would have faired any better as I’ve removed plates fixed by that by heating with a hair dryer.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
After reading every page in the thread (took a while) I've gone for a vinyl number plate on the front (felt that it still needed the black border) and new standard one (as simple as) on the back, from One Stop Numberplates.
I decided to remove the green badge from both. Just don't see the value/need and prefeer the cleaner look.

The Rear
Just stuck straight on the car with 3M tape. Didn't do anything with the hole.
Easy to get off and stick on.

The front
The front was a bit more work, deburring the holes, filling with fine filler before getting the plate ready.

Really happy with the results.

Tips:
- After cleaning, mark the position of the existing plate, left and bottom, with electrical tape. This makes alignment so much easier.
- one drop of washing up liquid in a spray bottle, then spray the stick back of the vinyl before placing on the car. It will go on better and you have a small bit of movement when on the car.

Next on the list is to remove the 'dual motor' badge and de-chrome both Tesla badges.

Attachments

• 20230408_141504-COLLAGE.jpg
    20230408_141504-COLLAGE.jpg
    482.1 KB · Views: 168
  • PXL_20230408_182029363.jpg
    PXL_20230408_182029363.jpg
    675.1 KB · Views: 156
I’m not keen on a stick on plate but so want to remove the massive plate hanger at the front.

I suspect an acrylic plate won’t handle the curves at the front of a MY but has anyone successfully fitted an aluminium plate (not the chavvy printed plates, the smooth aluminium plates that look like acrylic plates but have more ‘flex’ to manage the curve).

Thanks.

I’m not keen on a stick on plate but so want to remove the massive plate hanger at the front.

I suspect an acrylic plate won’t handle the curves at the front of a MY but has anyone successfully fitted an aluminium plate (not the chavvy printed plates, the smooth aluminium plates that look like acrylic plates but have more ‘flex’ to manage the curve).

Thanks.
Acrylic plate work fine on the curves, its all down to the bonding method, fourdot sent double thickness 3m pads with their plates and its been on for 4 months so far.

Obviously the plate isnt curved to the shape of the bumper so the thicker pads infill the gap slightly, you could obviously double or tripple stack standard 3M tape to get the disired pad height.

Thanks.
The latest reg plate standard is designed to resist the plates from bending. The standard Tesla ones are aluminium backed but you cannot leave a permanent bend in it, it will spring back - so you need very strong tape to hold it in place and even then it might start to come away at the sides. As above, use thicker pads at the sides to reduce the curve.

Thanks.

I used a normal acrylic plate and screwed it to the plate holder.

Attachments

• IMG_2850.jpg
    IMG_2850.jpg
    610.7 KB · Views: 144