Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stick on vinyl number plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
7916EF10-BF50-4AB0-82DC-F90B5DFAEA4B.jpeg

Putting this plate on was more awkward than I anticipated. If I heat it up with a hair dryer will it permanently lose the adhesion or only while it’s hot/warm? I’m thinking about heating it up and then trying to force the bubbles and creases out

View attachment 721832

Putting this plate on was more awkward than I anticipated. If I heat it up with a hair dryer will it permanently lose the adhesion or only while it’s hot/warm? I’m thinking about heating it up and then trying to force the bubbles and creases out
My experience is that I had to apply Windex before attaching the sticker to the front bumper. Move it into position, Let it set and then hold it in place. Worked great.

View attachment 721832

BTW GB no longer good on the Continent. Need UK now, at least, on the rear of your car

If I heat it up with a hair dryer will it permanently lose the adhesion or only while it’s hot/warm?
It will make the bond temporarily weaker, some adhesive will stay on the plate and some on the bodywork - but if you put it back in the same place then you have the same amount when the two surfaces come together again.

The trouble you face is on the corner that you peel it away, some of the adhesive will come off on your finger so may not stick back down as well.

You could always use a fine needle to pop some of the larger air bubbles to improve it somewhat, but won't help with the crease.

I've just joined the stick on club too. Much better than the crooked, cheap, dealer plates on top of the horrible plinth. I'm normally pretty good with applying this type of thing, but still managed to get some trapped air bubbles and the plate not quite level on the first attempt. The shape of the bumper on the S made application somewhat harder than I'd expected and you don't get to remove and reapply without leaving the plate marked, so had to buy a second plate!

Anyway, second time lucky, it's perfect now and I love it. :)

I used proplates.co.uk. Technically the 3D carbon font had to be on the car before September under the old rules to be legal, but it's not as if anyone (apart from ourselves on here now!) is going to know they were fitted post September lol!!

Plate.jpg

Reactions: MoBo and Mickeyflea
I've just joined the stick on club too. Much better than the crooked, cheap, dealer plates on top of the horrible plinth. I'm normally pretty good with applying this type of thing, but still managed to get some trapped air bubbles and the plate not quite level on the first attempt. The shape of the bumper on the S made application somewhat harder than I'd expected and you don't get to remove and reapply without leaving the plate marked, so had to buy a second plate!

Anyway, second time lucky, it's perfect now and I love it. :)

I used proplates.co.uk. Technically the 3D carbon font had to be on the car before September under the old rules to be legal, but it's not as if anyone (apart from ourselves on here now!) is going to know they were fitted post September lol!!

View attachment 737248
Plate is nice but the letter spacing is terrible!

View attachment 721832

I messed up my first attempt too! To be fair, with the amount of bubbling and creasing on that plate, it's not going to come right no matter how much you stick it with a needle/pin and if you take it off, it'll be wrecked for re-application. For the small cost of replacement, I'd just order a second plate and apply it using the soapy water and squeegee method next time.

Got mine from onestopnumberplates.co.uk

Took my time fitting them (today) and getting them straight. Fairly easy job, front plate was a bit more awkward due to the curve in the bumper.

I didn't bother filling in the recess in the back, just covered it with the plate.

Front just needed the burrs from the screw holes rounding off (I used a countersink drill bit).

Spray the back of the vinyl with a very weak soap solution, so you can move it a bit, once in place, made sure there were no bubbles by using a credit card wrapped in a microfibre cloth.

Far better look than the original plate holders. 👌

IMG_2941.jpeg
IMG_2939.jpeg
IMG_2933.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Got mine from onestopnumberplates.co.uk

Took my time fitting them (today) and getting them straight. Fairly easy job, front plate was a bit more awkward due to the curve in the bumper.

I didn't bother filling in the recess in the back, just covered it with the plate.

Front just needed the burrs from the screw holes rounding off (I used a countersink drill bit).

Spray the back of the vinyl with a very weak soap solution, so you can move it a bit, once in place, made sure there were no bubbles by using a credit card wrapped in a microfibre cloth.

Far better look than the original plate holders. 👌

View attachment 770807View attachment 770808View attachment 770809
This looks fantastic. There was a huge debate last year if the green strip is reflective as per legal requirements. Will get these I think

Looking to order the smaller stick on vinyl plates for my MY being delivered next week.
However I need to ensure they are long enough to cover the two screws/screw holes for the conventional plate which the car comes with.
Could any MY owners here tell me the gap/distance between he two screws/screw holes, please?
TIA