Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still a Mystery???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

Has anyone worked out yet, how to get the map to auto-zoom like it used to before all these updates?

I know for a fact, that if my car was stationary, then the map would zoom right out and would do this also if I was on the motorway at high speeds. The map would auto-zoom in to show street names etc, if I was doing say 30 mph. Don’t get any of that anymore, just stays zoomed out constantly. Did the double tap thing, pinch and zoom blah blah blah, doesn’t stay like that thought and reverts back to zoom out on a morning next day.

A mystery that no one seems to have a solution to.

Reactions: Thp3
at least in nav mode, mine only seems to auto zoom if I’m in ‘car pointing up’ view which seems a really odd limitation, and also not a view I like (prefer N facing) but I’m keeping for now because otherwise its almost unusable when navigating a mix of local streets and motorways

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
at least in nav mode, mine only seems to auto zoom if I’m in ‘car pointing up’ view which seems a really odd limitation, and also not a view I like (prefer N facing) but I’m keeping for now because otherwise its almost unusable when navigating a mix of local streets and motorways
Yeh I’ve got mine North up too. I just don’t understand why it worked seamlessly before like I said, used to zoom in and out on its own. No one seems to know why it’s taken a step backwards.

Some possible work-around combinations, if you haven't got bored enough to have tried them all already:

Compare ZOOM buttons and Pinch/Spread

Both of those plus also pan/slide the map slightly (if that stops the map following the car's position it might retain zoom ... map not tracking the car may be unacceptable)

Try using VOICE for ZOOM MAP

Double-tap the map (probably the same as ZOOM, but might not be)

Repeat all those with turn-by-turn directions scrolled UP (minimised)

Use the Navigate : Chargers button to display that instead - you won't have turn-by-turn, but maybe the map will do as preferred.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
Glad I'm not the only person with this problem. I find it pretty annoying how far zoomed out the map is when I'm doing 30mph or so around town. I know Tesla bill the feature as "Satellite-View Maps" but I wish it wasn't literally using one of their satellites.
Those ‘Satellite view maps’ sometimes feels a bit strange. Don’t know whether others felt this way - Tesla’s maps are sort of like ‘Satellite view’ and this is more prominent especially if you are in the south west or near the coast - you not only see the border and the sea but also the satellite view of earth with UK (more in a spherical representation rather than the 2D flat round). So at times you get caught up when you see the map you’ll be travelling S to N in flat usual 2D maps but this satellite view will show that you are doing E to W. It is a bit disorienting but in a more pleasant way! I do not experience this on my day to day travel as I live more or less closer to the centre but was very prominent on my trip to Cornwall and especially from Lizard to St Ives - i was bit disoriented.

Last edited: