Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Map stays zoomed out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For some reason it will stay a bit more zoomed in (and still track the car), in the “north up” setting.

If you have it in the “heading up” setting, it stays zoomed out.

I had issues with this in V10 as well as V11. When you are not navigating, the map can be zoomed in more (and still track).

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
Noticed this myself yesterday. Don’t know whether the map reset itself to “north up” instead of “heading up”. It’s possible, but either way map was zoomed out so far as to be useless for positioning.

As mentioned above I tried pinching and it only worked briefly.

In addition, the pointer to car is no longer centred in the middle of the map area! It is now centred midway between the left of the directions box and the left of the screen. So if you are travelling West to East (in the UK RHD) then you get to see more of the route ahead than if travelling East to West.

Just as annoying to me as the change in the zoom behaviour.

Reactions: Jonnymack74
In addition, the pointer to car is no longer centred in the middle of the map area! It is now centred midway between the left of the directions box and the left of the screen. So if you are travelling West to East (in the UK RHD) then you get to see more of the route ahead than if travelling East to West.

Just as annoying to me as the change in the zoom behaviour.

I think thats a really useful improvement :) lots of times travelling back east its irritating how little you can see ahead for upcoming junctions because of the directions box. Now its equal no matter you’re going east or west.

For the zoomed out thing - can you swipe the directions list to be bigger/smaller? I had this on the old software and it was because the full directions were showing (with estimated % at the end and round trip). If you shrank that list, the map zoomed back in

Noticed this myself yesterday. Don’t know whether the map reset itself to “north up” instead of “heading up”. It’s possible, but either way map was zoomed out so far as to be useless for positioning.

As mentioned above I tried pinching and it only worked briefly.
What I’ve done mate is I’ve double tapped the screen in heading up and it’s zoomed in and stayed zoomed in.

Reactions: Durzel
What do we all want? Is it as simple as
- if I’m not navigating let me pinch zoom and it stays there
- if I am navigating, auto zoom based on distance to next step in the navigation
I just know for sure that prior to this update, the map would be zoomed out when I climbed in the car on a morning, by the time I drove out of the street, it would zoom right in so I could see neighbouring street names etc and it would remain like that without me touching it and only zoom right out when on motorways etc

That all seems to have been done away with now

I just know for sure that prior to this update, the map would be zoomed out when I climbed in the car on a morning, by the time I drove out of the street, it would zoom right in so I could see neighbouring street names etc and it would remain like that without me touching it and only zoom right out when on motorways etc

That all seems to have been done away with now

I suspect that it's not an intentional change. My guess is it will most likely be one of those bugs that gets sorted in the next update and never gets a mention in the release notes. I noticed an issue one time but it resolved after doing a bit of zooming in and out and tapping of the compass. I'm just going out now so I'll see if the behaviour has changed again.

From reading the descriptions again the reason I don't see a change is that I have never routinely used the nav with that level of zoom. (I prefer to see a birdseye view of the next couple of corners coming up rather than what's just in front of me.)