Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still a problem: plugging in a car when your hands are full.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a problem unlocking my front door when my hands are full. So I need a robotic key. Is there one?

This is a solution in search of a problem.
I'm going to guess that you would not be an interested customer of the product line. Not every product is mandatory for every single person to buy. I'm not asking everyone to get one. I'm saying it's time some innovators with labs put at least two products out there like this. Yes, there's a wiz bang market place for them, but I'm thinking more of low-income elderly people, so I'm more interested in good value products.

There actually are deadbolts that can detect your phone and automatically unlock. Although you have to have a nice square door that doesn't stick or expand/contract in the cold/heat, otherwise the motor that turns the deadbolt will stick.
I had a remote key with electronic deadbolt in one of the jobs where I needed to go in and out of that door often. It was a huge time saver, and saved dropping many items. It was worth every penny. It's the only door I put that on. I installed it properly to make it land perfect every time without hassle. (I had a huge keyring with 100 keys on it for the other things, and a management system for those keys; no other door had electronic lock, because I didn't need it for those other doors.)

That job sported lots of problems, though, so I'm glad I don't work there any more.

This "problem" is right up there with "voice commands still don't work while I am eating a cheeseburger".
My "problem" is slightly worse: someone can put down their cheeseburger on a plate (while they don't have a shirt on so they don't ruin a $50 shirt), pull out a napkin, thoroughly clean hands, and put in trash, then fumble around with knobs (or worse yet, touch screen, then have to use microfiber to clean it). If someone trips over a charge cable, it could be death or other costly problems that a delay or spill dealing with a cheeseburger can't touch.

Like this?

Tesla demo from 4 years ago:
tesla60fps.0.gif

Watch Tesla's creepy 'solid metal snake' plug itself into a Model S
Yes, that's great. It's not in the marketplace. Furthermore, the arm looks too short. Finally, they could put a tube around it to make it not look like a killer snake, but any buyer could do that step themselves.

Still a problem: plugging in a car when your hands are full. Still need robotic plugs for electric cars.
I just witnessed an elderly relative skip plugging in because her hands were full.

hmmm, as I am sure other posters have thought...… how is this a new problem with any car? Didn't she have the same issue at the gas pump during her decades on earth? Perhaps you could have taught her to put down the items first :)

I must be missing something. But having said that, it sure would be nice to have robotic plugs for people who can't get out of the car as easily. ie my partially disabled friend that has a Tesla.

Not being critical. Trying to be humorous and probably failed.

• Funny
Reactions: DoubleE
You’re right, it is hard to plug in when your hands are full! Come to think of it.. there are many things that are hard to do when your hands are full. I suggest we start a list. These will serve as thought starters for innovative ideas

Things that are hard when your hands are full
1. Pumping gas
2. Using the bathroom
3. Changing the TV channel
4. Driving
5. Flying a kite
6. Opening a car door
7. Taking a shower
8. Brushing your teeth
9. Putting your kid in their child seat
10. Flipping someone off
11. ...

i'm trying to think of a single time that i pulled up to a gas station, with my hands completely full, unable to fuel my car. priorities and expectations of what's "normal" need to be adjusted.

this isn't a first world problem. this is a "me generation" problem.