Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still a problem: plugging in a car when your hands are full.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Way more useful and easier to implement would be a way to open the frunk or trunk with your hands full.

You could do this with some after market hydraulic lift arms and your voice assistant of choice with appropriate app. I think there’s a YouTube video.

“Hey Siri, open the frunk”

Maybe it only works for the trunk because of the latch to stop the frunk from flying open from the wind force if it is opened while driving? (The Nader Bolt named after Ralph Nader: Latch - Wikipedia)

Tesla could be smart and only engage that while driving? I guess you can’t even open the frunk while driving anyways. Hmm.

Don’t remember.

Reactions: StellarRat
Robot arms are way too cost prohibitive.
What’s wrong with wireless charging bars that you just park over.
The tech is already there!

I’m guessing that would be pretty lossy? Also maybe a lot of extra weight on the car. Could work though. Installing that at home would be cool, but massively expensive. It would also be annoying if your car didn’t charge all night because you didn’t roll your car forward an extra 3 inches or something :)
Can live with this inconvenience once in a while with the phone, might suck if you can’t make it to work the next day because of it :)

Another idea ... 4-wheel dyno that spins your tires and you charge from regen. LOL.

I’m guessing that would be pretty lossy? Also maybe a lot of extra weight on the car. Could work though. Installing that at home would be cool, but massively expensive. It would also be annoying if your car didn’t charge all night because you didn’t roll your car forward an extra 3 inches or something :)
Can live with this inconvenience once in a while with the phone, might suck if you can’t make it to work the next day because of it :)

Another idea ... 4-wheel dyno that spins your tires and you charge from regen. LOL.

Meet Plugless | The Wireless EV Charging Station

Massively expensive as you say

Reactions: darth_vad3r
Still a problem: plugging in a car when your hands are full. Still need robotic plugs for electric cars.

I just witnessed an elderly relative skip plugging in because her hands were full. We need to fix this. I'm not saying it has to be fixed for everyone right away, but it is a hole in the market place. Someone should put more work in robotic plugs and start selling them.

This is called a first world problem.

I don't get it. Why would you get out of your car and pick up and a bunch of stuff just to try and plug in?

Plug the car in then go grab your stuff.

It's going to be an expensive solution for a very minor problem.
Tight garage, trip hazard over cable. Admittedly, it's not for a Tesla, so the cord is in a more trip-hazard location, but I could see the same problem with a Tesla if there was stuff in the trunk.

Trips can kill, make extremely handicapped, or reduce life longevity. That's far more cost than the mere cost of "an expensive solution".

I'm not saying this is an emergency today, but I am saying there is a market hole.

I've been to a few superchargers recently here in Socal, where space is at a premium so the lots are small, the charger hoses are short, and all spots require you to back the car in (head out). The owners can barely back their cars in straight, or close enough to the charger, and have to re-park. Never have I seen more 5 and 7 point turns. I doubt they'd be able to park well enough for a robot arm to find the plug correctly - and when the robots scratch the car or misalign the plug, oh boy will there be trouble. But you bring about a good idea though, robot arms plugging in for us would certainly be nice. :)
Thanks for the criticism. I obviously think the arms should be long enough to cover a wide range.