Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sto 'n Sho Aftermarket Front Plate Holder Install (+ pics)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you just pop the plastic rivets off to get the nut underneath the plastic shielding?
It comes with self-tapping bolts. The skid plate it attaches to on the car is pretty thick plastic, but I'm guessing over time it might need something a little beefier (like a nut on the other side and/or a little metal plate). The skid plate is tucked inside the bumper, so it doesn't look easy to get access from the front- might be able to get access if you pull all the clips and pull back from behind the wheels, but I didn't feel like putting it up on ramps for this...

Work recently added license plate scanners to their parking enforcement vehicles, so they are no longer checking parking hang tags. This means that to avoid getting tickets now I can't back into parking spots unless I throw a front plate on. I'm probably going to order this now since I prefer backing into parking spaces.

Work recently added license plate scanners to their parking enforcement vehicles, so they are no longer checking parking hang tags. This means that to avoid getting tickets now I can't back into parking spots unless I throw a front plate on. I'm probably going to order this now since I prefer backing into parking spaces.
You would pay $100 so that you can back your car into a parking spot? I wish I had that kind of money to throw around.

Vertical clearance reduction: It technically reduces the air-dam vertical clearance by about a half inch, but I doubt this will be any problem at stock height. If I do something that clips the plate where it sits, I've probably got much bigger issues.
Wouldn't this almost be a Pro? An ablative warning that I'm getting up too close to the parking stop. ;)

Thanks for the write-up. I've been waffling between this and the Platypus, for reasons you give. Trouble is the tow hook is a known brittle item and the tow hook mount is a little to up & left so that mounted the plate hides part of that lovely curve towards the headlight.

You would pay $100 so that you can back your car into a parking spot? I wish I had that kind of money to throw around.

Backing into parking spots is a hardcore Tesla thing, if only because of the charging port placement. But fear of damage is really already a thing.

His wife may do that but I suspect he won't be, the plate won't be there when he's driving. ;)

are model 3's being delivered with OEM front plate mount off vehicle?
actually how does the OEM front plate bracket attach?
if it is installed prior to delivery, anyone have success at requesting it not be installed?

are model 3's being delivered with OEM front plate mount off vehicle?
actually how does the OEM front plate bracket attach?
if it is installed prior to delivery, anyone have success at requesting it not be installed?
No, they give you a bracket that sticks onto the front fascia with adhesive. They do not install it - they give instructions for self install (for when your plates arrive) or you can return to the SC and they'll install for you.

No, I would pay $100 for backing into parking spots at work AND not risk being pulled over for driving around NJ without a front plate. Frankly I'm surprised I've gone nearly 4 months without being hassled for not having a front plate installed. I prefer the Sto n' Sho license plate holder over the OEM Tesla one, just looks cleaner to me.

I would never put a plate on my car even though it's required, but just curious...I think that looks really odd being positioned so low. Has anyone tried the tow hook plate mounts on the M3 yet? I wonder if that may look a little better compared to this one.

So it being slightly low looks odd to you, but having it up high and to one side doesn’t..?

Reactions: Pkmmte
I'm just really worried about the reduced air flow with these lower brackets. IDK. Maybe it's an ICE car thing with me, but I hate blocking vents.
Venting matters to an extent but there still seems to be room for air to get in around. We do know that there are limits to the heat exchange capacity of the system (Performance will heat to the point of modest throttling when tracked), and it is likely that having maximum airflow matters, but the underlying concept of these accessories seems to be "only put on the license place when you have to"? So if you are doing something pushing it to some sort of limit it doesn't seem wrong that you'd have the plate Sto'd.