Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stock split tax implications for non-US shareholders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Too late to decide on a game plan, but for Belgian stock holders I read this comforting article:

Banken niet van plan taks te innen bij splitsing Tesla en Apple

For non Belgians: "De Tijd" is a financial newspaper in Belgium.

Key points:
- BNP Paribas Fortis, KBC, ING, Belfius, BinckBank and Keytrade told "De Tijd" that they are not planning on withholding tax on the shares created by the split. However, some of these banks/brokers stress the fact that this is a temporary decision based on the information currently available to them;
- in order for the "stock dividend" to be classified as a (taxable) dividend, one condition is that the issuing company (TSLA) must be impoverished by the dividend payout. This will not be the case in this stock split.

So basically confirmation of what we assumed.

Lol, that's truly poor customer care.

I assume it is the cheapest broker you can find for you to tolerate that attitude?

Yeah, they're pretty cheap for a DCA strategy (and they have been my broker since I was seven or something so I have a sizable long-term portfolio there). I use others for trading, but TSLA has been a very long-term investment from the beginning.

Too late to decide on a game plan, but for Belgian stock holders I read this comforting article:

Banken niet van plan taks te innen bij splitsing Tesla en Apple

For non Belgians: "De Tijd" is a financial newspaper in Belgium.

Key points:
- BNP Paribas Fortis, KBC, ING, Belfius, BinckBank and Keytrade told "De Tijd" that they are not planning on withholding tax on the shares created by the split. However, some of these banks/brokers stress the fact that this is a temporary decision based on the information currently available to them;
- in order for the "stock dividend" to be classified as a (taxable) dividend, one condition is that the issuing company (TSLA) must be impoverished by the dividend payout. This will not be the case in this stock split.

So basically confirmation of what we assumed.

True but good to know anyway. In German BNP emphasized at my call with them that this is an as of now evaluation but it may change later. They said they had situations where it changed later which I valued as a protective statement.

The interesting part is the sentence that Telsa would need to be impoverished. Funny language because it puts the prove on Tesla for having given something instead of the shareholder to have received something (Dividend).

Do we have any countries left where how it's handled is still unclear?

Questrade showing this as a split, rather than a dividend, on their events calendar. Still silence from “Alfred” on walking back his comments that this was taxable. I’m still in the camp that this is not a taxable event and that nothing will be withheld to Canadians.

I won’t be doing anything going in to the split (other than MAYBE rolling a 1015c Jan 2022 to a round strike price).

• Helpful
Reactions: avoigt
Questrade showing this as a split, rather than a dividend, on their events calendar. Still silence from “Alfred” on walking back his comments that this was taxable. I’m still in the camp that this is not a taxable event and that nothing will be withheld to Canadians.

I won’t be doing anything going in to the split (other than MAYBE rolling a 1015c Jan 2022 to a round strike price).

Success! Response from Questrade today.

“Thanks for contacting Questrade. My name is Alfred and I’ll be happy to help you.

I apologize for the late response as I wanted to confirm the details of Tesla's upcoming stock split with our management.

I can confirm and assure you that no withholding taxes will be applied and the security will be treated as a regular stock split.“

@Tes La Ferrari

No change on BinckBank yet...any other users of BinckBank? Noticed the price per share is 2212.6 USD? While MarketWatch has 2213.4 USD? Anyone else seeing this?

EDIT: Is this because they do not offer realtime prices at Binck? I.e., is the closing price they show just the delayed price still showing?

Last edited:
I also received new comments today from a senior tax advisor. He kind of confirmed my feeling that the decision is not up to tax authorities. He said stock dividends are taxable and splits are non-taxable events (nothing new here). Seems like only thing what matters is how brokers execute the transaction.

——-

IMO the hot question is: Who makes the decision how brokers handle this event?
Nordnet replied (my own translation) “we report it forward based on how our sub-custodian reports it”.

No change on BinckBank yet...any other users of BinckBank? Noticed the price per share is 2212.6 USD? While MarketWatch has 2213.4 USD? Anyone else seeing this?

EDIT: Is this because they do not offer realtime prices at Binck? I.e., is the closing price they show just the delayed price still showing?
Binck user here. Closing price you see is price 15min before close since you do not have a subscription for live US market quotes.

About the split : Binck told me it could take up to three trading days for them to update amount/value of TSLA shares and options in our accounts and that -in the meantime- trading of these assets is halted. Might be in relation to options only but i'm not expecting to be able to trade this week.

Binck user here. Closing price you see is price 15min before close since you do not have a subscription for live US market quotes.

About the split : Binck told me it could take up to three trading days for them to update amount/value of TSLA shares and options in our accounts and that -in the meantime- trading of these assets is halted. Might be in relation to options only but i'm not expecting to be able to trade this week.

Yes, as I thought. Never realised they didn't update it until the final closing price. And thanks for the extra info from Binck about the three trading days. Hadn't been informed about that. Not that I would trade, I just hold.

EDIT: Just went back to the mail they had sent me, and indeed, they do inform that it might take a few business days.

Must say I am bit curious to see what happens next. Tesla/TSLA/Musk, never a dull moment!

Last edited:
Saturday a bit after feeling rich for a little bit (shares split and non-split price) the rest of the information was updated as well. Sunday came the updates of my average purchase price however nothing yet in the transactions log. When checking this morning I noticed the transactions now include entries for split deposit of the new shares (5) and split withdrawal for the old share (1), so no naming of dividend in the transaction log, identical terms to the Apple share split.

Hi all, I've been following this thread for a couple of weeks as I was in a similar situation (Tesla and Apple shares, bought in Germany). 2 points:
I use Postbank and all my shares now show the 'after-split' volumes, and no tax deductions. At least not yet... ;-)
Secondly, thank you all for being so open and sharing your experiences - it certainly reassured me in terms of the upcoming split(s). In these times, no matter where you look, it's hard to find such examples of friendly cooperation - it was very refreshing to see in this forum.
Thanks!