Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

stopping mode randomly changed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

crackers8199

May 31, 2015
SoCal
I have had hold mode turned on since it became available on my 2018 years ago...today I noticed that my car wasn't coming to a complete stop and going into hold like it always has when letting off the go pedal. went into settings, and sure enough it has been changed to roll...

has anyone else ever seen this? seems incredibly dangerous (or could have been anyway had I not been paying attention)...

edit: just checked and it was changed for both my driver profile AND my wife's.

Seems odd. What model is this? have checking in with the Tesla service group?

2018 LR. haven't checked in with tesla yet because i literally just noticed it...seems like it had changed overnight somehow, because i don't recall it being like that when i drove the car last night (i.e. yesterday it was still in hold mode, like i have had it set up for the 3.5 years i've had the car now).

I changed my stopping mode and I couldn’t get it to go back to hold. After about 4 tries, the setting finally stuck. I almost *sugar* myself when I started rolling backwards and there was someone behind me.

this is the part that worried me. I got lucky and happened to be paying attention when I came to a light on flat ground and noticed that it didn't put me in hold automatically...but what if that hadn't been the scenario?

<mini rant>
Software is imperfect and while people are too, paying attention in any car really isn't an option. It's why when Tesla makes controls harder to reach while driving it annoys me so much. You can not rely 100% on the car so don't make the driver less attentive by design!
</mini rant>

Glad you caught it, would like to understand what happened. Luckily hold-mode on my 2018 has never self-disengaged. I'm also not on any V11 variant if that's relevant.

<mini rant>
Software is imperfect and while people are too, paying attention in any car really isn't an option. It's why when Tesla makes controls harder to reach while driving it annoys me so much. You can not rely 100% on the car so don't make the driver less attentive by design!
</mini rant>

Glad you caught it, would like to understand what happened. Luckily hold-mode on my 2018 has never self-disengaged. I'm also not on any V11 variant if that's relevant.
There is a very faint sound from the brakes when hold mode engages. I wish the car would make a quiet click sound when engaging, and a different clack when disengaging. Or some appropriate sound or chime. Optional of course.

Reactions: MLXXXp and Msjulie
<mini rant>
</mini rant>

mine had also never turned itself off until yesterday in 3.5 years of owning the car...so whatever caused this, seems it's something new.

Hmm. Same here. I wonder if there could be some condition that can force a change from hold to roll? Like if some part of the system is determined to be not working properly for hold. Do you remember anything odd or noteworthy about the drive just prior to it switching to roll mode?

Mike

nope, that's the strange thing. last drive thursday night, as far as i can remember, it was still in hold mode (and i'd imagine i would have noticed, since i very quickly noticed that it had changed on the first drive friday). after 3.5 years of driving the car in hold mode, it was pretty jarring to have it not automatically stop for me just by easing off the go pedal when i came to a light.