Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Storing the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to disagree a bit with the others. If all you care about is the financial aspect, then it's pretty straightforward-- see what used ones are asking in the TMC classifieds, subtract 10%, and compare that with the cost of a new one. If that amount is less than your storage costs, then sell it.

However, that doesn't take into consideration your time and hassle, so factor something in for that.

All of the above is valid if you view cars as a strictly utilitarian appliance. Personally, I don't take that view. I view a car as something a bit different. I put time, effort, and mental energy into identifying what I wanted, configuring it, ordering it, waiting for it, getting it... all of that invests it with more importance, to me, than something like a toaster.

So if it were me and my car, there'd be no question-- I'd hang onto it.

:( OK so everyone i've talked to has recommended selling. now i gotta figure out how to do that. Any recommendations? Craigslist seems shady.

1. I thought the annual service was mileage based, not time based, as you're supposed to come in at 12k miles. However, if you're at 11 months and 11k miles, it doesn't seem unreasonable to bring it in early. With the small amount of moving parts, I wouldn't worry about needing service after long-term idling. The only counter is if they wash/detail/etc. at the service, and you were, for example, storing outside.
2. I have no clue, but I would assume talk to the local SC, and they will work with you.

Originally it was 12.5k miles but called "annual". Then there was <rabble rabble rabble> and Tesla said you can do it whenever you like. Every 12.5k miles. Once a year. Four times in the same month just before the end of the 4th year. Knock yourself out.

I believe they removed the mileage restriction; but the time restriction is still there. Anyway, it's all very vague right now. People are reporting different responses from different SCs. I guess I will just go by whatever my SC says. Although it seems unlikely they would allow having four services in the last month of the first four years.

4. Tell them you have the app on your phone and can tell the mileage at any point. Also, paraphrase the Liam Neeson speech from Taken as the consequence if you find they've been joy-riding.

ha ha

You only have to bring it in for service if you want too. If you don't bring it in it doesn't void the warranty. I think every 2 years makes more sense.

I believe they removed the mileage restriction; but the time restriction is still there. Anyway, it's all very vague right now. People are reporting different responses from different SCs. I guess I will just go by whatever my SC says. Although it seems unlikely they would allow having four services in the last month of the first four years.

ha ha

I already paid for the four year service :(
Let's try this again...

Some folks are suggesting that you can have annual service done "every 2 years" rather than "every 1 year" with your 4 year service plan. Best bet is to ask your local Tesla Service Center formally, in e-mail, so that you have a record of it. If you don't like the answer, ask again with more persistence. If you still don't like the answer, ask the same question of the next nearest service center. If you still don't like the answer, ask Jerome. If Jerome gives you an answer you don't like, you don't really have a next move that will have much likelihood of improving things.

I personally wouldn't sell my car just cus I was gonna be gone for a year, but that's just me. I imagine your best bet (if you don't sell) would be to find a friend with garage space and pay him a monthly fee.

I recently was away for 5 months and had my ICE car in long term airport parking. The fee was pretty huge (~$2500) when I got back but still better than having to buy my car all over again. I probably would have lost more than $2500 selling it used and trying to buy a new car again, anyway. The 12V battery was also dead of course. An EV car has some very different conundrums though...

A quick googling showed me several places in the Los Angeles area. Reserve from a Los Angeles, CA Boat, RV & Vehicle Storage Facility | Self Storage Finders

I would call each place up and ask them if the unit has a 110 outlet, and if it is somewhat climate controlled (LA doesn't exactly get "freezing" anyway, so...)

Edit: vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv I also agree that if you sell it, it is a pretty good excuse to buy the most cutting edge Model S when you get back ;)

Last edited:
If your car doesn't have some of the newer cooler features you want from the driver assistance package...etc and you were looking to upgrade, wouldn't be a bad time to sell it. If I were gone for a year maybe longer, I think not worrying about it in storage would be easier.

Let's try this again...

Some folks are suggesting that you can have annual service done "every 2 years" rather than "every 1 year" with your 4 year service plan. Best bet is to ask your local Tesla Service Center formally, in e-mail, so that you have a record of it. If you don't like the answer, ask again with more persistence. If you still don't like the answer, ask the same question of the next nearest service center. If you still don't like the answer, ask Jerome. If Jerome gives you an answer you don't like, you don't really have a next move that will have much likelihood of improving things.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I am going to follow it word for word.

By the way, who is Jerome? I understand he is high up in Tesla, but don't know more. I just see people quoting him every now and then... especially the forum veterans. And how do I contact him?