Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Storm Eunice vs Tesla Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reassurance required….

Got the car in December 2021, loving it.

Yesterday morning the roof of next door’s house fell off in the storm, bits of it landing on my car.

Damage is a smashed roof, dented near side rear wheel arch, massive scratch on the boot and some lighter scratching on the offside rear.

Other bits of the roof went through my house roof just to add to the frustration factor and another insurance claim.

I’m with esure and they have been completely unhelpful. Went from “you need to fix it yourself and come to an arrangement with the neighbour” to “we can pick it up, take it to a compound (open air, big hole in roof…) and take it to our bodyshop, which isn’t Tesla approved on Monday.

Anyone got any ideas for what I should be doing? The neighbours have raised a home insurance claim and given me their insurer and claim number - but my big issue is the car is leased from Tesla so can just “any” garage fix it or does Tesla only support and work with their approved body shops?

If I insist on an Tesla approved bodyshop (a mile from the house) it’s an extra £200 on the excess and no hire car in the meantime.

If I could with esure’s bodyshop is the work from a non-Tesla approved place, going to be a) good and b) ok for the lease? And will this be a long exercise as most Tesla bodyshop repairs seem to be if you Google it…?

It’s 6:40am, I’m lying in bed trying to work it all out in my head 😅. Thanks for any wise words.

635E03A7-2CD1-4104-BAF6-F7BDA559AEB2.jpeg

This is mega bad luck…. But please remember it’s just a car and the main thing is nobody was hurt!

So for the car, it’s obviously going to be esure you have to deal with. Remember is your car (well Tesla’s) not theirs so they shouldn’t be bullying you around to suit them and their pocket.

I would be asking them to give me a list of Tesla approved repairers that you can take it to. Don’t let them fob you off on Bodgeit and Scarper & Son. With the list, go through it and do a bit of digging into what they are like. Reviews etc.

Once your happy, make sure that’s the body shop it goes to. In the meantime I would be covering the car and protecting it best I could.

I’ve no idea why an excess is being linked to the repair/resolution. Either an excess is to be paid or it isn’t. Nothing to do with the bodyshop. Also ask for guarantees on the work being done.

A hassle you could do without but at least everyone is ok

As above the important aspect is no injuries. Insurance wise, this might be complex - is the neighbour's insurance responsible? If it is then your insurance Co would claim from theirs anyway apart from grabbing your x/s for the hassle. As to the car itself, I suspect spare parts will be a while before available, and probably a bit sooner via an approved place? I suspect with that initial runaround from the insurers, I'd want to speak to a manager and sort out those points with notes or a recording of the conversation - making points such as the need for the car's systems to remain calibrated, the issues of long waits and the cars batteries needing to be maintained etc. They took your money and have a responsibility to avoid problems down the line that could bite them in the bum.. You might get some clarity if planning on claiming for the house damage as to whose insurance pays for that too although if it's minor it’s often just worth getting the ladders out and fixing it yourself - although i admit my own days up on house roofs have gone with age.

I'd avoid a non tesla. For a start you've got 2k of glass to align and replace, you want this done by people who do it every week.

They are trying to put you off with the 200 by doing it cheap, Tesla bodyshop will cost them alot more. That photo alone will be 4-5k at Tesla.

A Tesla bodyshop (not Tesla approved) like Dartford will be able to lend you a car at no extra cost.

I had a loaner from Dartford when a tile hit between the roof glass and door a week after I got it (1k damage) from storm damage.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
The glass I’m less worried about, I’d imagine they’ll just get a glass company in to do it. It’s also laminated so unless it’s punctured it shouldn’t let water through. The body work is unfortunate as you’ll need a lot of paint to cover all the areas, but (trying to find the positives), they often need to paint adjacent areas anyway to get the paint blended in well,

I feel for you, as others have said, thankfully nobody was hurt, and try to stay on good terms with your neighbour, it won’t be their decision in who pays, it will be the insurance companies.

On the claim, I recall something about storm damage. If it was a tree, so long as the neighbour hadn’t got prior cause for concern about the health of the tree and neglected to take action, then pretty sure they’re not liable. That’s a tree, but might also apply to other property like a roof.

Edit, seems to apply to roofs as well, so if they’re offering to pay, it seems to be goodwill

First of all, it’s a lease so I really wouldn’t worry about it, it’s not your car and you’ll be handing it back at the end of the term regardless. All they do at the end of the lease is check for any obvious damage, like scratches and dents, if it’s been damaged and repaired then it’s fine.

Call your insurance company, make a claim and point them in the direction of your neighbours insurance to try and recover costs.

If your insurance has a curtesy car (most do, even if it’s just an Aygo or something basic without paying for an upgrade), then just use that.

Tell them it needs to go to a Tesla approved body shop per the terms of the lease (check if it does in your documentation or speak to Tesla financial services if it’s with them) and leave them to handle it. Most insurance companies only use large well established and approved body repair places anyway so the chances of it doing to some dodgy one man band is next to nil.

If the glass is punctured then cover it, clingfilm and tape will do the job. The body shop will sort it properly once they get the car.

Like I said, don’t sweat the small stuff, it’s just a car, it isn’t actually yours, talk to your insurance and let them sort it, that’s what they are there for.

I too fell victim to Storm Eunice.

The glass I’m less worried about, I’d imagine they’ll just get a glass company in to do it. It’s also laminated so unless it’s punctured it shouldn’t let water through. The body work is unfortunate as you’ll need a lot of paint to cover all the areas, but (trying to find the positives), they often need to paint adjacent areas anyway to get the paint blended in well,

I feel for you, as others have said, thankfully nobody was hurt, and try to stay on good terms with your neighbour, it won’t be their decision in who pays, it will be the insurance companies.

On the claim, I recall something about storm damage. If it was a tree, so long as the neighbour hadn’t got prior cause for concern about the health of the tree and neglected to take action, then pretty sure they’re not liable. That’s a tree, but might also apply to other property like a roof.

Edit, seems to apply to roofs as well, so if they’re offering to pay, it seems to be goodwill

When it’s claimed they are not liable I wonder who is determining that, doesn’t seem to go into much detail in that link

When it’s claimed they are not liable I wonder who is determining that, doesn’t seem to go into much detail in that link
It was just the first link I could find. The point is though that a storm isn’t the neighbours fault, if the roof was maintained they’ve not done anything wrong. I don’t make the rules and only raise it as it might come up between the OP and the insurance companies and while it may not be intuitive (their property damaged yours so surely they’re at fault), it may be the legal situation is different and they’re not.

It might be worth contacting your neighbors insurance, see if they want to appoint a claims management company on their side. For them it avoids your insurance's markups on hire car and repairs, and they will typically take care of the whole thing and avoids you having to claim back an excess etc. Typically they will put you in a hire company at their cost.

I've experienced it both ways, having your own insurance do it was far worse for us as they and their partners in crime at the rental company were very happy for it to take as long as possible and cost as much as possible to the other parties insurers.

Firstly, thanks all - that’s calmed me down!

Not going to fall out with the neighbours, we’re all in the same boat with shoddy builders for the past 14 years so it’s yet more on that saga to me! And yes, enormously thankful that nobody was hurt and that the other neighbours moved their car just where a huge piece landed seconds later. The neighbour’s home insurers told them to give me the claim reference so presume they are expecting it and esure needs to claim against them (and protect my excess at the same time).

Gut feel is to wait until Monday, no Tesla approved places are open until then, and see what that brings. I’ve also emailed the CEO of esure because, well, I was a bit incandescent after speaking to five people yesterday all with different stories of what to do. Not great service and nothing to recommend them so far, I’m not sure even a “calm down dear” would have worked yesterday.

Glass is punctured but it’s covered with sheeting and speed taped on now so not being more damaged (unless the remainder of next door’s roof falls off today…).

Am breathing again, now off to try and sort the house roof, if I fall off I’ll try and write the car off when I land on it and make the whole process easier 😂

Your neighbours property damaged your car, The storm wasn't their fault but their buildings insurance is responsible for settling claims suffered by any aspect of the insured property causing damage to another's property - usually the limit is 1 million.
If the property wasn't insured then I'm afraid its a claim against the property owners personally.

You don't have to accept any repair from an insurers list of approved repairers as you are the injured party - so go ahead with a Tesla approved repair facility, You are also able to claim the costs of a hire or courtesy car for the duration your car is off the road and there will be no excess to pay as any costs in legal terms are "Damages" and as a third party all damages are recoverable.

Don't take my word for it - most home insurance also offer a free 30 minute consultation with a solicitor - so do consult one on your own home insurance, If your policy doesn't provide the free consultation then arrange one privately, get a receipt and add the cost to the overall claim - it will be paid.

You will just suffer the inconvenience this incident has created arranging everything but you wont be out of pocket at all - well unless your car insurer applies their usual sneaky practice of increasing your premium because of a non blame claim, But if you can get them to declare (unlikely though) to declare what the premium increase would be and for how many years that will apply then you can also add that value to the claim.

Your neighbours property damaged your car, The storm wasn't their fault but their buildings insurance is responsible for settling claims suffered by any aspect of the insured property causing damage to another's property - usually the limit is 1 million.
If the property wasn't insured then I'm afraid its a claim against the property owners personally.

You don't have to accept any repair from an insurers list of approved repairers as you are the injured party - so go ahead with a Tesla approved repair facility, You are also able to claim the costs of a hire or courtesy car for the duration your car is off the road and there will be no excess to pay as any costs in legal terms are "Damages" and as a third party all damages are recoverable.

Don't take my word for it - most home insurance also offer a free 30 minute consultation with a solicitor - so do consult one on your own home insurance, If your policy doesn't provide the free consultation then arrange one privately, get a receipt and add the cost to the overall claim - it will be paid.

You will just suffer the inconvenience this incident has created arranging everything but you wont be out of pocket at all - well unless your car insurer applies their usual sneaky practice of increasing your premium because of a non blame claim, But if you can get them to declare (unlikely though) to declare what the premium increase would be and for how many years that will apply then you can also add that value to the claim.
💯

As the neighbours insurers have asked you to be given the claim number that is a positive indicator from the start that things will go ok.

Just contact them and let them know that the vehicle is two months old and the damage includes a puncture through the roof and it will go into a Tesla repair centre. They should give that the OK and you won’t need any solicitor advice.

Glad you're all ok and the blood pressure is back under control. Not nice but on reflection it could have been a lot worse.

It's a moot point as their insurer seems to be offering to pick up the tab which suggests your neighbour has a decent policy that covers you for this, maybe part of 3rd party liability, and while most policies do this now but it's not a given as I found out about 10 years ago. Either way, hope it all gets sorted quickly and satisfactorily.

You could appoint your own claims management company to arrange the repair and resolve the claim with their insurance, Novo offer this service (and are well thought of by Tesla owners) as I'm sure will plenty of others. Incident Management | Novo Insurance Services | Liverpool

It's important to know that you are under no obligation to allow your insurance to be anything other than notified when the claim is going to be settled by someone else. They are not your friends and are not on your side, and will just be looking to make as much money out of the process as possible as there is no loss for them.

It used to be the case that your insurance fixes your car and then claims that back from the other party, but it's simply not how the market works anymore for no fault claims. They all hand it over to claims management firms who conspire to make themselves the most profit from the process. Watch out for them doing this sneakily through Enterprise, watch for strange sudden changes to the rental agreement for hire cars etc. As I said before, the companies that your insurance provides have no incentive for this to be cheap, the longer it takes the more profit is made on rental cars.

Your own insurance is only in play when they are paying out, so when it's your fault or another party can not be found.

• Informative
Reactions: Irata and Beady3647
I thought Novo had fallen out of favour, they're struggling to insure performance models and just gouge claims by pushing their own loan cars on you to line their own pockets. I'm sure the service is very good if you're not paying but before you sign up to any accident management company you need to be 100% confident that you're not going to foot the bill because that loan car cost comes back to you. I don't see why the OP even needs to consider this which just pushes insurance costs up for everyone.

Glass is punctured but it’s covered with sheeting and speed taped on now so not being more damaged (unless the remainder of next door’s roof falls off today…).

Just make sure that any sheeting that is in contact with paintwork can't move around in the wind. It's very easy to unwittingly cause additional paint damage due to rubbing.