Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Storm Watch Events - What Should and Should Not be Included?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With SoCal seeing a heat advisory and warning for the first time ever in winter, I decided to look at the list of weather events that trigger storm watch. I knew heat advisories and warnings do not as we had them in the summer. But it was interesting to see the wind chill warning does? This doesn't make sense. Why wind chill when heat is much more likely to put a strain on the grid and trigger brown and blackouts? Wind chill itself is just how it feels to a person, not how bad the weather is. If the wind is strong enough to play a roll in the wind chill, then the wind advisory or warning itself is already a trigger. Extreme cold by itself is not a cause for storm watch. sw.PNGCapture.PNG

Last edited:
I see a Wind Advisory currently which will trigger storm watch. Heat advisories can be managed by rolling blackout, but wind is a big issue which can knock down power down lines so I can see why they would/could trigger storm watch, but not heat warnings.

If you have storage AND you monitor weather the next few days, I still don't see why storm watch is needed as long as the sun is going to shine that day. I track weather over the next few days normally so just play around with my reserve now and leave storm watch off.

I'm starting to generate more each day now (hitting 40kWh+ now for the first time) with more sun now.

I see a Wind Advisory currently which will trigger storm watch. Heat advisories can be managed by rolling blackout, but wind is a big issue which can knock down power down lines so I can see why they would/could trigger storm watch, but not heat warnings.

If you have storage AND you monitor weather the next few days, I still don't see why storm watch is needed as long as the sun is going to shine that day. I track weather over the next few days normally so just play around with my reserve now and leave storm watch off.

I'm starting to generate more each day now (hitting 40kWh+ now for the first time) with more sun now.
Perhaps I wasn’t very clear. This isn’t about wanting to have SW activated. It was more a general question of why somethings and not others. And what anyone else thinks should or should not be included.

BTW, my area isn’t under a wind advisory. Only a heat advisory. We’re seldom under wind events. The one a couple weeks ago was the first time in years for my area. Interestingly, a mile east is always under wind events.

that doesn't make sense

Sorta like when Oregon/Seattle had 100+ degrees and like 66% of the population doesn't even have air con. Not power wall related, but generally, not normal weather and many people could die from this heat.

"According to the U.S. Census Bureau’s American Housing Survey of 2015, only one-third of households in Seattle had air conditioning, as the average high temperature in June is 71 degrees Fahrenheit (22 Celsius)."

"Forecasters said Monday would be worse, with the mercury possibly hitting 110 F (43 C) in Seattle and 115 F (46 C) in the Portland area before it begins to cool Tuesday."

115 in Portland sounds crazy.

I am not saying heat advisory should be. Just curious as to why wind chill and not heat?

I do think that extreme heat warning should be as that does put a strain on the grid with all the AC's being used
Maybe it’s a practical reason? Maybe there are too many heat advisories throughout the year? Don’t know, I live in New England.

As for questioning wind chill… spoken like someone in SoCal. 😉 Windchill affects power infrastructure as well as humans. Extreme cold equipment can really put a strain on the grid to supply enough power. Remember Texas last year? Luckily utilities plan for extreme cold for the most part here in the Northest.

Maybe it’s a practical reason? Maybe there are too many heat advisories throughout the year? Don’t know, I live in New England.

As for questioning wind chill… spoken like someone in SoCal. 😉 Windchill affects power infrastructure as well as humans. Extreme cold equipment can really put a strain on the grid to supply enough power. Remember Texas last year? Luckily utilities plan for extreme cold for the most part here in the Northest.
I used to shovel snow for a living at a place here in CA that gets more snow than anywhere in New England. And my profile pic is from here in SoCal in Los Angeles County (the same exact resort at which the young lady that just won Olympic Gold in the half pipe grew up.) But my personal experience is not the reason for my point.

The purpose for SW is to provide backup power for potential grid down. Heat alone results in more grid down than cold alone. So would it not make sense to have SW for heat if it also has it for cold?

Last edited:
Reactions: BGbreeder