Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

StormWatch on in NorCal again! (September 2020)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would be helpful if you turn off your main breaker 4pm-9pm today and run off your PowerWall.

Most of those people with powerwalls are already "helping" because they likely have solar that is assisting in powering their home (thereby reducing stress on the grid). Why would they also drain their powerwalls when there is possibility of either rolling blackouts, power safety shutoffs, or powerloss due to fire?

They are already "helping".

Most of those people with powerwalls are already "helping" because they likely have solar that is assisting in powering their home. Why would they also drain their powerwalls when there is possibility of either rolling blackouts, power safety shutoffs, or powerloss due to fire?

Agreed. We all have already sent 10+ kWh to the grid already.

Last edited:
Most of those people with powerwalls are already "helping" because they likely have solar that is assisting in powering their home (thereby reducing stress on the grid). Why would they also drain their powerwalls when there is possibility of either rolling blackouts, power safety shutoffs, or powerloss due to fire?

Not really during 4pm-9pm which is now the new peak.

• Funny
Reactions: jjrandorin
Not really during 4pm-9pm which is now the new peak.

I am marking this funny, because most people who spent the (considerable) expense for getting solar and also powerwalls did so, so they themselves would have power in this exact circumstance. You are, in effect, telling those people to run down their powerwalls for no reason other than to "help", thereby putting them in a circumstance where they might not have power if they actually need it.

its a silly suggestion, frankly.

• Disagree
Reactions: eevee-fan
I am marking this funny, because most people who spent the (considerable) expense for getting solar and also powerwalls did so, so they themselves would have power in this exact circumstance. You are, in effect, telling those people to run down their powerwalls for no reason other than to "help", thereby putting them in a circumstance where they might not have power if they actually need it.

Critical period is 4-9pm and they can recharge their powerwall after 10pm. This is not a wild fire situation. Also, running the powerwall a few weeks a year is really just making use of the powerwall which will degrade over time anyway.

Agree. Would be stupid to drain PWs with very real possiblity of an outage. And, our "low" tonight is forecast to be 80

I do not have PowerWall. I precool the house by 5pm so that the thermostat typically does not turn the AC on until after 8pm, avoiding 6-8pm which seems to be the most critical periods.

California ISO - Today's Outlook

I do the same thing. Power Watch came on early enough for me to get the house down 76 by 3 PM and still pump power into the grid.. Should be to coast well into the evening.