Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

StormWatch on in NorCal again! (September 2020)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally I was shocked yesterday when regional Storm Watch was triggered at peak demand on a maxed out power grid. Our house instantly switched from exporting 3kw of solar to drawing almost 10kw to top off our 2 Powerwalls (which were at 80%). If more houses had Powerwalls this easily would have brought the grid down. Whoever initiates Storm Watch needs to think this through better as the Powerwalls should be increasing not decreasing grid stability.

I did not want to be part of the problem so turned Storm Watch off and let the house run the Powerwalls down to 60% so as to not burden the grid until after sunset.

New to all this (no PTO even) but don’t you get notification alerts if you set your phone for them and can’t you take yourself out of SW or adjust the battery level settings? All remotely from your phone? Usually these weather/grid events are announced they are coming. I’ve seen a number of posts from owners yesterday that they turned their SW off before it would trigger.

Storm watch is still on for me and my powerwalls are now charging (after flipping it back on)
Me too. I just flipped Storm Watch on this morning at 9am. My PWs got down to 30% last night. I will let it grid charge to 60% and turn it back off. Solar should be able to fill it up from there. This is the 5th time I have used Storm Watch to make up for excess use and poor solar production during these Red Flag warnings. The main cause is the inability to naturally cool the house at night because of smoke.

New to all this (no PTO even) but don’t you get notification alerts if you set your phone for them and can’t you take yourself out of SW or adjust the battery level settings? All remotely from your phone? Usually these weather/grid events are announced they are coming. I’ve seen a number of posts from owners yesterday that they turned their SW off before it would trigger.
I leave Storm Watch turned off until I want it to charge from the grid. I don't want any chance that it will consume grid power during Peak periods without my knowledge.

You can do those things, the question is, should you? If the purpose of your Powerwalls is to provide backup power in case of a grid failure, then without knowing when that grid failure will occur, you want to have your Powerwalls charged. In yesterday's scenario, charging them from the grid early while running my A/C to cool the house down let me have them full by 2 PM. At that point, I shut off Storm Watch and the A/C and from 2PM through 6 PM I was exporting much of my solar power to the grid.

• Informative
Reactions: eevee-fan
don’t you get notification alerts if you set your phone for them and can’t you take yourself out of SW or adjust the battery level settings?

Yup I got a notification so I shut Storm Watch off.
I was lucky to be near my phone at that time though as most of the afternoon I was in the pool with the kids.

There’s roughly 7 million detached homes in California. If 1% of them had Powerwalls that simultaneously drew 10KW, that’s a sudden additional load of 700MW. That’s 15% of the state’s generation ability! Even if half the people saw the notice and knew to promptly switched Storm Watch off, that’s still a 350MW shortfall in generation, which would cause rolling back outs. This Storm Watch trigger behavior must be changed before Powerwalls become more common.

I was lucky to be near my phone at that time though as most of the afternoon I was in the pool with the kids.

There’s roughly 7 million detached homes in California. If 1% of them had Powerwalls that simultaneously drew 10KW, that’s a sudden additional load of 700MW. That’s 15% of the state’s generation ability! Even if half the people saw the notice and knew to promptly switched Storm Watch off, that’s still a 350MW shortfall in generation, which would cause rolling back outs. This Storm Watch trigger behavior must be changed before Powerwalls become more common.

I think the impact is much less than you state. If SW came on during the morning, your PWs would be charging from both Grid and Solar. Typically, my PWs are charged 100% before noon just from solar. Thus, if SW came on in the afternoon, their would be no extra load on the Grid until Peak. Granted, that is the worse time, but you would only be drawing from the grid for your house not to charge the PWs.

Really, have you lost power after 10pm in the last 2 months?

California ISO - Today's Outlook
My PSPS watch notice says to expect the power to be turned of between 1 am and 5 am Tuesday morning. So I don't want to run down my Powerwall today and be low on power tomorrow morning. And with the smoke my solar isn't putting out much so it will take a while to recover.

• Informative
Typically, my PWs are charged 100% before noon just from solar. Thus, if SW came on in the afternoon, their would be no extra load on the Grid until Peak. Granted, that is the worse time, but you would only be drawing from the grid for your house not to charge the PWs.

I usually keep a 60% reserve and like yours my Powerwalls are normally full around midday from the solar. When it’s above 100F too much is going to AC so they only get to around 80%. I’m sure others are in a similar situation.

It doesn’t matter if I’m out by a factor of ten as any additional grid load is bad when the system is maxed out.

Last edited:

What state do you live in where 700MW is 15% of generating ability?

What's interesting is that the available capacity came down. Earlier I believe it was as high as 54,000 MW. At your screenshot, it was down to 50,000MW. Now it is even lower at 49,510 MW with peak demand at 47000MW. Are they not buying as much as what they earlier expected? That is cutting it very close
I know my solar production is down due to the smoke. Could that have something to do with it?

There’s roughly 7 million detached homes in California. If 1% of them had Powerwalls that simultaneously drew 10KW, that’s a sudden additional load of 700MW. That’s 15% of the state’s generation ability!.

700MW is about 1.5% of the total 50,000MW California will need at peak today.

Every little bit helps, but your scale is off.

700MW is about 1.5% of the total 50,000MW California will need at peak today.

Every little bit helps, but your scale is off.

And, likely that the impact would be well less than 1%. I turn my thermostats up every day during Peak. However, based on this thread, I've decided to switch off SW within an hour of Peak demand and switch it back on an hour after peak