Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Straight to warning beeps on Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As of v11 the cabin video camera above the rear view mirror actively tracks your attention and adjusts the auto steer nag frequency. I tested this by timing the frequency of immediate nags (caution message with chime but no flashing blue indicator) while looking down at my phone. The frequency was approx 15s. I then obstructed the camera and tested again. The frequency of immediate nags was zero. The nags instead returned to the count down nags (caution message with flashing blue indicator followed by a chime at the end of the countdown) at a frequency between 30-40s. I confirmed my results by removing the obstruction from the camera and maintaining direct sight of the road. The count down nags remained consistent and no immediate nags occurred.

What I’d like to know is if this new feature was disclosed in the update notes.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Mine does this too. A two-fingered salute fixes it but not really doable when driving.

In the US this happens if the cabin camera thinks that you're on your phone, so whether or not it's a bug related to that I don't know.
The second part of this sounds right. I tried “listening” to a tv show on Amazon Prime while my iPhone was on the wireless charging pad and it nagged before the blue flashes. But I also picked up my phone and played an entire episode of something on HBOMax and it didn’t nag. So it seems a bit arbitrary, OR has something to do with whatever app you’re using, i.e. Prime causing nagging but HBOMax doesn’t.

I have a 3 week old Model 3 LR and when on autopilot it seems to go straight to alert beeping to instruct me to “apply slight steering input”. I don’t get any of the “pulsing blue banner” at the top to warn me to apply some slight force. This is all with me constantly with hands on wheel. The problem is it wakes my 6 month old as the alert is really quite loud. I don’t really expect to hear that alert unless I’ve ignored the “blue pulsing banner” but that never appears. Has anybody else experienced this?
Sorry if it’s been addressed before but I couldn’t find anything on it.
The normal order is: alert banner first (silent), then pulsing blue (silent), then more alerts and warning beeps, then AP drops off and you are in the penalty box. If you're not seeing this order I would (a) try a reboot (as others suggest), then (b) get a service appt, as its possible you have some issue with the torque sensor etc (though they that would cause it to skip to the loud warnings is not clear).

The normal order is: alert banner first (silent), then pulsing blue (silent), then more alerts and warning beeps, then AP drops off and you are in the penalty box. If you're not seeing this order I would (a) try a reboot (as others suggest), then (b) get a service appt, as its possible you have some issue with the torque sensor etc (though they that would cause it to skip to the loud warnings is not clear).
Or there are cones, it skips the silent steps and just starts alerting you immediately if a lane is closed by cones.

I have a theory that the alarm is different depending in whether the car senses traffic cones/ roadworks or not. Mine has the beeps and triangle when in roadworks and the flashing bar when not.
Having driven a few thousand miles since the initial question. I'm now sure that the cause of the more urgent and annoying alarm is when the car senses traffic cones, or what it recognises as traffic cones, alongside the car.

I have a 3 week old Model 3 LR and when on autopilot it seems to go straight to alert beeping to instruct me to “apply slight steering input”. I don’t get any of the “pulsing blue banner” at the top to warn me to apply some slight force. This is all with me constantly with hands on wheel. The problem is it wakes my 6 month old as the alert is really quite loud. I don’t really expect to hear that alert unless I’ve ignored the “blue pulsing banner” but that never appears. Has anybody else experienced this?
Sorry if it’s been addressed before but I couldn’t find anything on it.
This just suddenly started for me. Did you ever find a fix?