Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange Battery Range Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 Model S with 23,000 original miles. I charge to 80% (250 miles) normally and generally run the battery down under 100 miles range before recharging. In the 150 nominal miles of driving I generally get about 130-135 miles or about 90% of what is expected.

In the last month my actual miles driven from a 250 mile starting point has fallen to about half the expected range. For example on the most recent charge the range declined 217 miles, but I actually drove only 126 miles - resulting in a "leakage" of 80-90 miles from what was normal for the last 4 years. 72% more range was consumed than expected.

On the previous charge, the numbers were worse. Range dropped 220 miles, yet I only drove 111 miles coming up some 90-95 miles short of expectations. 96% more range was consumed than expected.

There have been no changes tintypes of trips or driving habits, no other drivers have driven th car and the weather has not changed appreciably to impact HVAC systems use.

Anyone have any similar experience, thoughts or suggestions?

generally run the battery down under 100 miles range before recharging.
Any particular reason why?

In the last month my actual miles driven from a 250 mile starting point has fallen to about half the expected range. For example on the most recent charge the range declined 217 miles, but I actually drove only 126 miles - resulting in a "leakage" of 80-90 miles from what was normal for the last 4 years. 72% more range was consumed than expected.

On the previous charge, the numbers were worse. Range dropped 220 miles, yet I only drove 111 miles coming up some 90-95 miles short of expectations. 96% more range was consumed than expected.
Over how many days does this usually play out?

The typical suggestions are to verify that all of the battery draining features are disabled:
  • Cabin Overheat Protection
  • Sentry Mode
  • Summon Standby
Any/all of those things can result in the car using substantial energy while it's parked.

If it's never been replaced you could also have a failing 12v battery, which is needing frequent charges and keeping the car awake to do so.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Any particular reason why?

Over how many days does this usually play out?

The typical suggestions are to verify that all of the battery draining features are disabled:
  • Cabin Overheat Protection
  • Sentry Mode
  • Summon Standby
Any/all of those things can result in the car using substantial energy while it's parked.

If it's never been replaced you could also have a failing 12v battery, which is needing frequent charges and keeping the car awake to do so.
Cabin overheat has always been on, Sentry is off at home where most of the time is spent, Summon rarely works (don't get me started on that one), so I doubt that is an issue. Asked the Local Tesla Service person and he ran remote data pulls and told me both batteries are showing "Good." In fact, he commented that I have not abused the batteries.

I let the battery run down to under 100 because sometimes I can grab a supercharger (free unlimited) for 20-30 minutes.

I think we will revisit the 12 volt battery issue with the Service team. Any thoughts?

Summon rarely works (don't get me started on that one), so I doubt that is an issue.
That has nothing to do with it, so don't dismiss it. That "Summon Standby" mode keeps the car very awake and ready to respond to a summon command at a moment's notice, so consumes a noticeable amount of energy, keeping the car in a more awake state. So maybe it is on, or got activated somehow. So when @ucmndd suggested you check that, how about not ignoring that advice just because you don't like that feature?

90% of the time the car is either at home or work. Summon Standby is excluded for those locations. It has been that way from since delivery.. This battery issue has only occurred in the last 30 days. What is so concerning is the rapid CHANGE in performance with no apparent explanation.