Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange cooling while supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed the few times I supercharge my car the amperage stays around 150a and the cooling fans never come on much less the a/c chiller. Another owner plugged in next to me and his fans went to 100% almost immediately. I plan on running the battery down to 30-50 miles and go supercharge, to see if I can get the fans running. Ambient temps have been 60-80 degrees F

I've noticed the few times I supercharge my car the amperage stays around 150a and the cooling fans never come on much less the a/c chiller. Another owner plugged in next to me and his fans went to 100% almost immediately. I plan on running the battery down to 30-50 miles and go supercharge, to see if I can get the fans running. Ambient temps have been 60-80 degrees F

The Battery Management System looks at the state of the car and cools it down on as needed basis. If yours isn't running, it probably means it doesn't need it.

I understand that it knows best, I just find it odd compared to other owners saying how loud it gets. Maybe I'm extra lucky!
A lot depends on how warm the pack is to start with. If you think there could be a problem, you can ask the Service Centre to check the logs during the time you were Supercharging.

Also if you are the second car in and SC pair, it won't charge as fast.

If you're only seeing 150A then I don't know that it would be expected that the cooling fans would run. Charging at max speed, you'd see the current go well over 300A, at which point the cooling system will make itself known fairly loudly if you sustain that rate for a few minutes. It sounds like you're arriving with a fairly high state of charge, so your charge rate will be lower and that means lower cooling needs.