TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Strange cooling while supercharging

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by whitecotton, Apr 10, 2016.

1. whitecotton

whitecotton Member

I've noticed the few times I supercharge my car the amperage stays around 150a and the cooling fans never come on much less the a/c chiller. Another owner plugged in next to me and his fans went to 100% almost immediately. I plan on running the battery down to 30-50 miles and go supercharge, to see if I can get the fans running. Ambient temps have been 60-80 degrees F

2. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

The Battery Management System looks at the state of the car and cools it down on as needed basis. If yours isn't running, it probably means it doesn't need it.

3. whitecotton

whitecotton Member

I understand that it knows best, I just find it odd compared to other owners saying how loud it gets. Maybe I'm extra lucky!

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

A lot depends on how warm the pack is to start with. If you think there could be a problem, you can ask the Service Centre to check the logs during the time you were Supercharging.

Also if you are the second car in and SC pair, it won't charge as fast.

5. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

If you're only seeing 150A then I don't know that it would be expected that the cooling fans would run. Charging at max speed, you'd see the current go well over 300A, at which point the cooling system will make itself known fairly loudly if you sustain that rate for a few minutes. It sounds like you're arriving with a fairly high state of charge, so your charge rate will be lower and that means lower cooling needs.

6. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Yes. I would say. Mine have been quiet and loud. But nothing is LOUDER than our Roadster when it's charging.

7. whitecotton

whitecotton Member

I wasn't sharing a charger, however I was thinking the current was being limited by the thermal protection because the fans weren't activating. Just a thought...

8. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I really don't think that it is luck, it has more to do with the car's SOC

9. brkaus

brkaus Member

What us your state of charge when your exoeriencing this?

10. whitecotton

whitecotton Member

40-60 % depending on which time I charged.

11. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

That SOC level is unlikely to cause a lot of cooling noise as the rate of charge has slowed down quite a bit by then.

12. whitecotton

whitecotton Member

Good to know, I guess that concludes it!