Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stranger pulls public charge cable out "Teslas Don't need to charge"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EDIT: A spark that length I think means at least a couple hundred thousand volts! It was damp and it wasn't sustained (was more red/orange than blue). Guess there is a lot of inductance and/or the dI/dt was large!
Yes, but you didn't get a spark from that distance. You drew an arc to that distance.

I, of course, am not privy to the details of the rectifier design but would guess that it involves an H-bridge followed by a small inductor (small because the bridge would be switched at 10's of kHz). Whatever the details I have measured the power factor of the rectifier and it is essentially a resistive load.

In one of the parking lots I park at they have public chargers. About 5% of the time I am in that lot I plug. Basically only when.

1. I need a charge,
2. a charger is open,
3. I know I am leaving before the charger time limit would be up.
4. I can't say I do it all the time, but I have note I leave saying to text me if you are desperate for a charge. As many of the EV drivers know each other at the location once and while some one does text, but it never been from me to move, but for me to give them a heads up when I am leaving.

Today was one of those days when I plugged in. When I came out to get my care a lady had pulled up an EV and had just unplugged the charging cable from another Tesla.

He child asked her " Why did you just pull that persons plug out?"
Her answer was "Tesla don't need to charge."

I actually knew the driver of the other car and had just saw them at work as I was getting ready to leave. As I know they live in an apartment without home charging I know they rely on charging at work and other places to get by. I actually asked if they wanted my spot and they let me know that they got one.

So I asked the lady "why did you unplug him?"
Her answer "The car was fully charged"
I ask "how can you tell?"
her... shrug
Her: " he reached his time limit"
Me: "He just got here 10 minutes ago."

At this point she realized I maybe knew more than I was letting on.

I was not interested in giving her a hard time, so I let her know what I was parked right there and she should plug in on my spot and I would get the other car plugged back in (and get the charger running again) as he needed to charge.

I am not sure what the point of my post is, but I do find it interesting that other EV drivers at times think Tesla's don't belong at charging stations.

I have to have my Tesla Model 3 unlocked in order to remove the charging plug.