Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stranger pulls public charge cable out "Teslas Don't need to charge"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At a minimum, I wish Tesla would implement an alarm setting similar to the Volt where you can enable / disable it.

I’ve given up on public charging except for Superchargers when we’re on a trip. I just plug at home for both our X and 3, even though I have access to chargers at work. Not worth it to me so I can save a couple hundred dollars a month. And this way, I don’t have to know people’s personal situation like whether they can charge at home or are desperately in need of a charge.

Reactions: Hank42
I am not sure what the point of my post is, but I do find it interesting that other EV drivers at times think Tesla's don't belong at charging stations.
Actually, I could understand her thinking. Tesla (and some Tesla owners) make a big deal about the (proprietary) SC network. Her attitude could simply be "they have their own chargers, why are they using one of the few that I can use”.

• Helpful
Reactions: Big Earl
People have different point of views regarding charging etiquette.
The issue is the Free electricity. People are too tempêtes by a free top up and will do anything to get it.

If you own a long range EV and can charge at home, you shouldn’t plug into public chargers if you don’t have too. This will free up capacities and make it easier for people that really need a charge to charge... it will also help you the day you are of town and really need a charge.

But of course, it will be impossible if the chargers stay free...

The issue even gets a bit more complex. I am involved with the decision around how many chargers we put into our building. We are now building a second parking lot and we will add 20 new EV chargers. Why? Because the ones we have now get used allot. I would say half of the time it is Tesla's using them, so the Tesla us is driving more charging infrastructure for all.

There also the interesting issue that EV charging is subsidized with public funds in our area. In essence my taxes pay for the a large portion of an EV charger. So I see the argument that you should not charge in public if you can charge at home similar to you should not use a public park if you have a backyard at home.

Good thing this can't happen over here with the Model 3 using CCS.
At CCS stations over here the charging cable on the charging station end of things is not removable, while the end that is plugged into the car is locked as soon as you plug it it. At least that is what I have experienced with the e-Golf at every CCS station I have visited up to now.

• Informative
Reactions: ord3r
The issue even gets a bit more complex. I am involved with the decision around how many chargers we put into our building. We are now building a second parking lot and we will add 20 new EV chargers. Why? Because the ones we have now get used allot. I would say half of the time it is Tesla's using them, so the Tesla us is driving more charging infrastructure for all.

There also the interesting issue that EV charging is subsidized with public funds in our area. In essence my taxes pay for the a large portion of an EV charger. So I see the argument that you should not charge in public if you can charge at home similar to you should not use a public park if you have a backyard at home.

But again, charge a fee on par with local electricity rates and you will only see people using the infrastructure when it's absolutely needed. If you provide free electricity, people will plug as you as they can even they can charge at home 10 miles away. The problem will only get worst with more and more cars hitting the road.

I'm all for encouraging more EV chargers for the convenience but let's have people pay for them. Otherwise, this defeat the purpose of convenience.

Good thing this can't happen over here with the Model 3 using CCS.
At CCS stations over here the charging cable on the charging station end of things is not removable, while the end that is plugged into the car is locked as soon as you plug it it. At least that is what I have experienced with the e-Golf at every CCS station I have visited up to now.

Is it just CCS or does the Level 2 Type 2 connectors lock as well?

That is the issue in the U.S. The superchargers lock as well as the Tesla destination chargers (L2). The issue is that most public chargers are J1772 requiring the J1772 to Tesla adapter. The adapter will lock into place in the car but the connection between the adapter and the J1772 is not locked which is where someone can disconnect the plug.

But again, charge a fee on par with local electricity rates and you will only see people using the infrastructure when it's absolutely needed. If you provide free electricity, people will plug as you as they can even they can charge at home 10 miles away. The problem will only get worst with more and more cars hitting the road.

I'm all for encouraging more EV chargers for the convenience but let's have people pay for them. Otherwise, this defeat the purpose of convenience.

It would be bad move today in our location.Pretty much all new builds put in multiple chargers (government incentives and rules to do this) more so at public facilities. It would not be unusual for me to park somewhere with a dozen or more empty chargers. We are also now forcing any new apartment build to have charging at every stall. We are still at a stage where we need to show EV chargers being used to encourage more. There will be tipping point where a fee will be needed to manage volume, but in my area I don't think we are there yet.

Each charging station should have an app that allows communication among the users, and also includes the state of charge of the charging vehicle. Not that it makes a difference yet, but I like how certain stations will indicate when a car is actively charging.

I'm not keen on leaving my personal number out for any stranger to use it to communicate with me, but if there was a semi-anonymous way to communicate via the app, I think it could solve some issues.

Reactions: Mod3forMe
Ive thought about getting one of those myself. Ive had someone unplug my car and just hang the cable on the charger. They seemed to do it for no reason.

I cannot justify the price for that small piece of plastic though. Thats just insane.

Im waiting for the day I can 3D print one.

I've unplugged and hung the charger on mirrors to evs at work that stay at charging spots the whole day and have finished charging for hours.

At the movie theater near my house I often see Teslas parked in EV spots and they are not even plugged in. They block the only CHADEMO station in the area.

That is blasphemy (unless of course, it is a Blink charger with their $0.59/kWh rate, then it is just a service to other EVs so they don't accidentally plug in. I kid but their pricing is ridiculous.)

Some people are just rude and inconsiderate. I’d unplug her car next time that happens.

You can never read someones mind, but I do think she was under the assumption the Tesla with their long range really did not need a charge. She may have actually intended to unplug my car, are I has been there for over an hour and people know that I am a "good sport" about letting people charge. It is enterally possible someone told her that if she really needed a charge to unplug "that Tesla, as he would not mind" referring to me.

At any rate I took it as no harm no foul type of situation where I hopefully was able to change her mind about Tesla not needing charge when I told her "that car does not have home charging, so relies on a good charge here."

I used a small padlock to lock the 1772 charge handle.

I do wish that Tesla's would display their charge level like some other EVs do. It's handy in the work scenario described above. When I was in the Bay Area my work installed 1 EVSE in between 2 spaces. So the first car in would park and plug in, then when it's full, at lunch, whatever, they would come out, unplug their car, and plug in the car that shared the EVSE. But of course, not everyone came out to unplug their car. So if you were the second car there, it was nice to be able to look on the dash of the car and see that it was fully charged before you unplugged.

Reactions: Mod3forMe
I used a small padlock to lock the 1772 charge handle.

I do wish that Tesla's would display their charge level like some other EVs do. It's handy in the work scenario described above. When I was in the Bay Area my work installed 1 EVSE in between 2 spaces. So the first car in would park and plug in, then when it's full, at lunch, whatever, they would come out, unplug their car, and plug in the car that shared the EVSE. But of course, not everyone came out to unplug their car. So if you were the second car there, it was nice to be able to look on the dash of the car and see that it was fully charged before you unplugged.

If you try to open the door it will definitely display the charge level.

If you disconnect a J1722 charger from the Tesla you have to disconnect both the Tesla adaptor and the J1722 plug simultaneously. If you don't the Tesla system sends a fault code and the charger port locks and turns red (ask me how I know). The result is that you have to open the trunk and release the adaptor using the emergency disconnect cord attached to the inside of the charging port.

Never seen that before. I have had the J1772 handle pulled from my car many times and the adapter just stays locked in place. All I do is unlock the charge port and pull it out. My 2013 Model S didn't even have the emergency release.

I've been unplugged several times by Leafs desperate for a charge. Sometimes I get a note. Sometimes I don't.

Me too. I actually caught someone doing it and when challenged, she said Teslas have big batteries and don't need the charge. I decided just to let it go as I was leaving anyway.

Her attitude could simply be "they have their own chargers, why are they using one of the few that I can use”.

I have had the "you have your own charging stations, why are you using ours?" conversation many times.