Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strap a weight onto the steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hold my right hand at about 5 o’clock with a bit of tug and my left on my knee. Haven’t had a nag in the last 5 years except one time I was cooling both hands in the ac stream.

I think the problem is the phrase “keep your hands on the wheel“ rather than the more wordy “provide a little torque with one hand while keeping the other at the ready”.

Even if I didn’t need to touch the wheel at all, I still would because I like to feel how the system is driving.

I thought the warning was "Apply light force to the steering wheel."

The "keep your hands on the wheel" warning is when the car is uncertain how to maneuver and is warning you to prepare to take over. A two-tone chime accompanies this warning.

for what its worth... using a steering wheel weight does not make you an unsafe driver. NOT using a steering wheel weight does not make you a safe driver either. if you are the type of person who is going to use a weight and then watch a movie or jump in the backseat, the weight is not the problem. similarly, if you rest your hand on the wheel (espically in a position that is not natural to retake control should the need arise) and stare out the window, how is that different than if you used a weight? people are the problem, not the tools :)

My view is, what it comes down to is are you paying attention or not. I've seen several people makes posts like they keep their hands on their knees or near the wheel and only jiggle it when they get a warning. I've seen other people make posts about how they will keep their hands off the wheel and then use the scroll wheel on the volume or following distance whenever they get a warning. Not holding the steering wheel at all times and then using these techniques could also be considered "by-passing" just as using a weight could also be seen as by-passing the system. In theory, your hands are supposed to be on the wheel at all times. I used to use the scroll wheel approach to driving.

My view is, what it comes down to is are you paying attention or not. I've seen several people makes posts like they keep their hands on their knees or near the wheel and only jiggle it when they get a warning. I've seen other people make posts about how they will keep their hands off the wheel and then use the scroll wheel on the volume or following distance whenever they get a warning. Not holding the steering wheel at all times and then using these techniques could also be considered "by-passing" just as using a weight could also be seen as by-passing the system. In theory, your hands are supposed to be on the wheel at all times. I used to use the scroll wheel approach to driving.
Yes. When you need to intervene you have to know what is going on, decide on an action and perform the action. Of those 3 components the first two take far more time than the last. As someone who typically keeps his hands on his knees in ‘low risk’ situations, I can say that my reaction time is not appreciably different than if I had my hand on the steering wheel.

A key difference with using a weight is that it bypasses a safety check to make sure you’re paying attention. If you’re driving and drift off to sleep but have a weight, the car will just keep going.

Last edited:
Reactions: PACEMD and fiveten
my car requires quite a bit of torque to disengage AP. hard to do it by accident. I've driven quite a few Teslas and they all feel the same. I would suggest getting yours checked out as it seems like a one-off issue with your car.

My 3 needed a lot of torque to pull it out of auto steer, to much. My X much less and S refresh even less. I MUCH prefer a light touch to pull it out (within reason if course).

Because sometimes you want to gently take control without passengers even knowing (without jarring the wheel). I have no issue with keeping enough torque to keep it satisfied and not to much to pull it out. But admittedly it’s narrow and I have done it.

One thing nice about the yoke is you can adjust how much weight you want by where you place your hand along the bottom.

I think that’s why the refresh feels like less torque to pull it out of auto steer. Because the steering wheel is very wide and acts as stronger lever.

If you just let your hand sit heavy on the side of the wheel/yoke it accomplishes zero nags without using a device. You don’t need to wiggle the wheel or perform any special maneuvers. Just find a driving position that lets you grip the wheel while allowing the weight of your hand and forearm to sit on one side and you’re done. Let your hand be your “autopilot buddy.”

Could you imagine the civil liability you would have if you caused an injury with one of these devices installed on your steering wheel? A jury would crucify you.

Reactions: davidew98
My concern is that as more people develop ways to circumvent the driver attentiveness system and accidents begin to increase, the NHTSA will step in and not allow AP/FSD to be used, or may limit it to special circumstances or only drivers who have established safety records.

If you just let your hand sit heavy on the side of the wheel/yoke it accomplishes zero nags without using a device. You don’t need to wiggle the wheel or perform any special maneuvers. Just find a driving position that lets you grip the wheel while allowing the weight of your hand and forearm to sit on one side and you’re done. Let your hand be your “autopilot buddy.”

Could you imagine the civil liability you would have if you caused an injury with one of these devices installed on your steering wheel? A jury would crucify you.
I tried that but found that I kept disengaging AP. Maybe my arms are just too fat…er… muscular! :p

As I recall, one of the updates actually changed the force required to overcome and disengage AP, so that may be a factor in people’s experiences as well.

Reactions: PACEMD
My concern is that as more people develop ways to circumvent the driver attentiveness system and accidents begin to increase, the NHTSA will step in and not allow AP/FSD to be used, or may limit it to special circumstances or only drivers who have established safety records.
Then it will be industry wide, as there are other mfgs that have L1and L2 systems, such as super cruise. They use cameras to ensure attention, but people will try to bypass that too.

Yes. When you need to intervene you have to know what is going on, decide on an action and perform the action. Of those 3 components the first two take far more time than the last. As someone who typically keeps his hands on his knees in ‘low risk’ situations, I can say that my reaction time is not appreciably different than if I had my hand on the steering wheel.

A key difference with using a weight is that it bypasses a safety check to make sure you’re paying attention. If you’re driving and drift off to sleep but have a weight, the car will just keep going.
Tesla is now using eye tracking also, so the car won't just keep going. Even with a heavy hand on the wheel, if you look away very long it will beep at you, and don't even get me started on the construction zones. When I am 100% looking at the road with a heavy hand on the wheel it still beeps at me in construction zones. The current version just doesn't like orange barrels! I drive with one hand on the wheel and get nags and beeps multiple times a drive.

Just pay attention! It's that simple.

My view is, what it comes down to is are you paying attention or not.
So much this. Hypothetically speaking, if I were to use a steering wheel counterweight, I'd use Autopilot more (more relaxing) AND I'd pay attention. Why? Because for me, im not trying to damage my wheels on potholes, deeply recessed manhole covers, road debris. So Im paying full attention all the time including with Autopilot on. And studies (allegedly show) Teslas with AP on have a MUCH lower accident rate than with AP off.

So one could argue, a counterweight could actually increase safety.

How many accidents have been caused with a counterweight installed? Or is the assumption (with no evidence), that a counterweight MUST be dangerous because some dont like it? Because other car mfrs with driver assist dont require hands on wheel as long as the driver is paying attention to the road...

I think the issue is that people would abuse it. Sitting there with a laptop on their lap responding to emails.

I agree that constant warnings when you ARE engaged and holding the wheel are super irritating. The one side heavy hand technique has worked for me to eliminate warnings, but prior to recognizing that it was mild torque on the wheel I would get frustrated at frequent warnings when I would have both hands on the wheel.

Tesla is now using eye tracking also, so the car won't just keep going. Even with a heavy hand on the wheel, if you look away very long it will beep at you, and don't even get me started on the construction zones. When I am 100% looking at the road with a heavy hand on the wheel it still beeps at me in construction zones. The current version just doesn't like orange barrels! I drive with one hand on the wheel and get nags and beeps multiple times a drive.

Just pay attention! It's that simple.
I've been less than impressed with Tesla's eyek/attention-tracking tech. It routinely tells me to pay attention to the road when I'm looking straight ahead, and then there are times when I'm looking down at the display longer than I should to try and figure something out with the gawd-awful V11 UI and it says nothing.

So much this. Hypothetically speaking, if I were to use a steering wheel counterweight, I'd use Autopilot more (more relaxing) AND I'd pay attention. Why? Because for me, im not trying to damage my wheels on potholes, deeply recessed manhole covers, road debris. So Im paying full attention all the time including with Autopilot on. And studies (allegedly show) Teslas with AP on have a MUCH lower accident rate than with AP off.

So one could argue, a counterweight could actually increase safety.

How many accidents have been caused with a counterweight installed? Or is the assumption (with no evidence), that a counterweight MUST be dangerous because some dont like it? Because other car mfrs with driver assist dont require hands on wheel as long as the driver is paying attention to the road...
you sound like you're rationalizing...

Reactions: mangrove79
well, you can't ban an orange, at least NHTSA can't. But I'm not advising anyone buy one, except to eat it....
Agreed. I dont advise anyone to buy, or not buy one or to use/not use one. All up to the owner. Whether a weight is used or not used, the driver is 100% always responsible for the vehicle if an accident occurs. If a persons Tesla runs a red light and t bones someone, under every law in every state of the USA, the driver of the Tesla is at fault, not Tesla, not a weight on the wheel. Same ticket/punishment applies with or without a weight

I think the issue is that people would abuse it. Sitting there with a laptop on their lap responding to emails.
Doesnt matter. Driver is always accountable/responsible for the car/actions of the car. If I use "Smart" Summon and the car runs into say, an airplane? Im the one who is liable for damages to the plane. Not Tesla. Not the maker of the smartphone used to enable Summon mode. So If I choose to use Summon without a human in the drivers seat...still my responsibility.

Doesnt matter. Driver is always accountable/responsible for the car/actions of the car. If I use "Smart" Summon and the car runs into say, an airplane? Im the one who is liable for damages to the plane. Not Tesla. Not the maker of the smartphone used to enable Summon mode. So If I choose to use Summon without a human in the drivers seat...still my responsibility.
No one is arguing the "liability" part of such an event, but the collateral damage, which could very well be another driver or an innocent pedestrian. You don't always hit an inanimate object in an accident.

A better example is guns. Gun owners are always liable for how their guns are used, but why did the ATF ban bump stocks in 2019? Precisely because it's a product that circumvents the legal restriction on owning automatic-firing weapons, just like the counterweight circumvents safety protocols. Sure, most gun violence doesn't involve bump stocks, but that shouldn't prevent outlawing such a device. The collateral damage (or the potential of it) is just too great to ignore its consequences. Similarly, you may be the GREATEST driver who ever owned a counterweight, but that's irrelevant. The device is DESIGNED to circumvent, not to enhance, safety.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Why is anyone engaging on such an obvious troll type post? I am genuinely curious. Its not even disguised much. Controversial topic, with one line of text posted with it.
So am I. The first time I saw the OP, the thought of "the most trollish post" came into my mind. Not just the attributes you described, but also the fact that this idea was demonstrated by the infamous parking lot video years ago, why a random one-line post with no new elaboration.

Judging from all of the back-and-forth and off-topic arguments, I think the owner of the post probably achieved what he was looking for.

Reactions: Yelobird