Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strategy for Supercharger Charger Selection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seen in other posts that SC charging rates may vary from charger to charger. When pulling into a SC with a number of occupied and unoccupied chargers, is there a strategy for charger selection that will aid in getting the fastest charge rate? (At least until the occupancy distribution changes.) E.g., try to find a charger with with vacant charger on both sides (or at the end of the row with a vacant charger on the other side.)

Newb question, I know, but: How are the A/B pairs identified? The SC I've used so far has one cable per unit, and I didn't notice any kind of identifying signage on those chargers (doesn't mean it wasn't there - I just didn't notice any).
It's usually every other but there's stickers at the bottom that show it:

0ykgeTc.png

• Helpful
Reactions: BerTX
Choose a number with an empty A/B pair

Exactly. They're not always next to each other either.

upload_2018-1-29_11-49-30.png

But sometimes they are...

upload_2018-1-29_11-51-8.png

So take that into consideration.

Ideally, you want to be on a numbered pair all to yourself. Or you want to be next to someone who is already at the taper point...but that's a bit more difficult to determine w/o interviewing everyone else using the chargers. :)

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
From my observation, if you are the first to charge for the A/B pair, you get up to 75% of the total power if you car is allowed; and the one come second will only get 25%.
However, if you do not take you share (because of cold battery or nearly full), the other will take over the rest.