Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strategy for timing a Model X delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My next car will hopefully be a Model X. The wait is currently long, but that doesn't bother me since I don't need the car until June 2017 when my curren lease expires. But I do want to nail that specific point in time; if I receive the new car earlier, I have the expense of two cars, and if I get it later, I will have no car. The production is currently ramping up and it doesn't make sense to extrapolate the waiting time that far into the future. The queue will likely shrink, but it is a delicate balance between supply and demand. Nobody is better at predicting production than Tesla, but it is my understanding that you cannot choose delivery date, only when to confirm the order. What happens after that is everyones guess. So what would be the best strategy to hit a specific delivery date?

For now you don't need to place the order even when your reservation number is up. This might change when things get to normal like the S production. You can specify a delayed delivery date after placing the order for up to a few months though as far as I know.

I don't need the car until June 2017

Based on the way things have been panning out recently I hope you placed that order about 3 years ago.

I placed my order March 2016 (i.e. 9 months ago) and I don't expect to see the 5 seater I want here in Europe before about this time next year.

Tesla say "middle of 2016" for the USA which means it might squeak in before the end of next year over here.

If I wanted June 2017 in Sweden I would place an order now and cross your fingers it turns up in time.

p.s. Zero updates or communication from Tesla since they got my deposit - nothing at all.

Tight? Who knows......but assuming you want anything other than the most powerful 7 seater then you are almost certainly at least 12 months away from a car in Europe if you order today. They have over 30,000 orders to get through before yours so I think June 2017 is actually a realistic kinda date. But it's all guesswork really - the only FACT is that Tesla is consistently behind on their forecasting and deliveries.

It is done, I put down the deposit today! The website predicted delivery second half of 2016 in Europe which sounds highly unlikely. I actually hope for summer of 2017. If it arrives much earlier I will be in trouble. According to the written terms, I'm only allowed to defer once. It is not clear how much a defer will postpone the delivery.