Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Struggling ... need some help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great subject line... really helps you understand with the post is about before reading it. Anyway, you're obviously a car addict (32 cars in the last 12 years). Just get the P85D and be done with it, you that you'll trade up to that model sooner or later anyway.

You should be able to find a P85 in your price range. You'll have to do some negotiating, but I think it's doable. Notwithstanding the high prices that people list their P85s for, the actual sales prices are, in my experience towards or a bit above the top of your price range.

Were I in the market in your situation, I'd definitely go for a P85 over the P85D. In the year we had our P85 it ran without flaw and delivered very good range. The P85D's range in my experience is markedly lower, and for those few times when you enjoy the extra power of the D, it's just not a great tradeoff. Unless, of course, you drive the car hard all the time, or need all wheel drive.

But I wouldn't hesitate for a second to get a P85. It will be all the car you hope for and at the price you want.

Thanks again everyone. I've started to inquire on a few that are in my range - mostly P85 models - and I can say that the responses in this thread are the singular reason I'm finally ready to jump. I'm glad I asked and I'm glad you all answered.

Well, I actually just got done riding around a bit in my P85D with someone who had never been in an electric vehicle at all. When we got back he actually said, "I think I'm just not going to be able to buy another car until I can get one of these." I told him the same thing I've told everyone, and that is that I don't think I could ever own another ICE vehicle after owning the Model S.

I'm sure you will be pleased with whatever model you end up getting.

It sounds like a P85D is out of your price range, so you are, perhaps, limited to less expensive cars. If you are looking at used cars, note the used Tesla pricing doesn't seem to distinguish between S60 and S85 models: their values are some mix of the two.

As has been said, you can probably find some good deals on P85s. Still, even if you just get an S85, you'll find it to be an amazing car. If your budget limits you to an S60, I'd say to wait and save some more: distances are large in the Midwest, and winters are cold. You'll really appreciate the extra range of the 85.

I only saw one person mention this, so I'll add my support to the fact that if you can swing it, get a car with the auto pilot features. They are the future. The autopilot features already add so much to the Tesla driving experience, and Tesla is only going to be improving them in the future. A month or two ago there probably would have been almost no autopilot cars available on the used market, and the prices for those available would have been quite steep. But with the introduction of the P85D, you now have all the people that wanted to trade up, and some of them did have autopilot enabled Model S cars. You may well be thinking you don't need the autopilot features, but you may be surprised by how much you would use them if you had them. My advice is go for it!

Hey guys - I appreciate the feedback about Autopilot. I can definitely see myself wanting to upgrade at some point in the future - I'm seeing that others seems to be bitten by the upgrade bug as well.

I am happy to report that I've struck a deal for a P85 with 16k miles and nearly all the packages I was wanting. Black exterior, tan interior, 21" grey wheels, Carbon fiber interior package, carbon fiber spoiler, tech, suspension, sound studio, pano roof, new tires. Settled in at $78k. Given the market I think it's a pretty good deal. I'm beyond excited. Now I need to go get shipping coordinated.

This thread is literally the reason why I pulled the trigger. Sometimes people need a good push and this was mine. Thanks again.

Hey guys - I appreciate the feedback about Autopilot. I can definitely see myself wanting to upgrade at some point in the future - I'm seeing that others seems to be bitten by the upgrade bug as well.

I am happy to report that I've struck a deal for a P85 with 16k miles and nearly all the packages I was wanting. Black exterior, tan interior, 21" grey wheels, Carbon fiber interior package, carbon fiber spoiler, tech, suspension, sound studio, pano roof, new tires. Settled in at $78k. Given the market I think it's a pretty good deal. I'm beyond excited. Now I need to go get shipping coordinated.

This thread is literally the reason why I pulled the trigger. Sometimes people need a good push and this was mine. Thanks again.

Very nice!

I thought I'd wrap this thread up by sharing pictures of the new Tesla. It arrived on Sunday and I haven't been able take a breath, with all the test drives I've been giving everyone. It truly is a transformative vehicle. Having one makes me want to get another for my wife (though I'd never dare put that out in the open).

Here are the photos. It's a P85, P04400. Tech, Pano, Black/Tan, 16400 miles, Sound Studio, Carbon Fiber interior and spoiler. Couldn't be happier.

IMG_2440.JPG
IMG_2439.JPG
IMG_2438.JPG