Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stuff (UK) Model S Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For a gadget mag, it's a well balanced review, I particualrly liked the closing verdict, we've heard it before, but it's good to see it refreshed every now and then :)

The Tesla isn’t just a better electric car – it’s a groundbreaker that history could well hoist into the automotive hall of fame alongside the original Mini or even the Ford Model T.

The speed is breathtaking, the styling sensational, the range good and that 17in dash tablet embarrasses anything the premium Germans can offer.

Its only real flaw? It could do with a few more active safety devices for anyone careless enough to let their eyes linger too long on that mesmerising screen

From Tesla Model S Review | Stuff

True, this is not a bad article. Nearly all its criticisms of the S are valid, though I find myself unable to understand the obsession with so-called active safety. I've never had it in any vehicle I've owned, nor is it something I greatly desire (because I'd never trust it). Should Tesla do it just because everyone else does? Doesn't seem their style to me.

The article also falls into the habit of just making up numbers at a couple points too (20 hours from flat on a 120V? I thought it was closer to 55 hours. Maybe on 3-phase? Can you get a 3-phase wall outlet?) 312 miles ideal range? 300 was unrealistic as it is.

Their assumption that the touchscreen cannot simply be ignored while driving is spurious. I ignore mine quite well, thank you. Haven't even been blinded by glare yet, a reported issue that would be a valid criticism.

The article also falls into the habit of just making up numbers at a couple points too (20 hours from flat on a 120V? I thought it was closer to 55 hours. Maybe on 3-phase? Can you get a 3-phase wall outlet?) 312 miles ideal range? 300 was unrealistic as it is.

We don't have 120V over here! I suspect the 20 hours they took from the simple (if flawed) arithmetic that a UK standard domestic plug is well-known to deliver 3kW (13A @ 230V = 3kW), and so would take 20 hours to deliver 60kWh for the base Model S.

For the 312 miles rated range, you have to blame the EU rating agencies which seem even more optimistic than those in the USA.

True, this is not a bad article. Nearly all its criticisms of the S are valid, though I find myself unable to understand the obsession with so-called active safety. I've never had it in any vehicle I've owned, nor is it something I greatly desire (because I'd never trust it). Should Tesla do it just because everyone else does? Doesn't seem their style to me.

Their assumption that the touchscreen cannot simply be ignored while driving is spurious. I ignore mine quite well, thank you. Haven't even been blinded by glare yet, a reported issue that would be a valid criticism.

The only time I've ever had a problem with glare is with the roof open and the sun in a very specific position over the car. Even then, it's not that big an issue (and really the problem is with the display over the steering wheel, not the center display).

I find myself unable to understand the obsession with so-called active safety.

Adaptive cruise control makes cruise control useful again. The latest versions even make stop and go driving more pleasant. Blind spot detection is nice. One feature I would like to see is the 360 degree camera view. Of course Tesla needs to first get distance lines on the backup camera screen. I am trying to convince a friend to get a Tesla but there are basic things missing which are keeping him from pulling the trigger.

Adaptive cruise control makes cruise control useful again. The latest versions even make stop and go driving more pleasant. Blind spot detection is nice. One feature I would like to see is the 360 degree camera view. Of course Tesla needs to first get distance lines on the backup camera screen. I am trying to convince a friend to get a Tesla but there are basic things missing which are keeping him from pulling the trigger.

Yeah...with such a focus on safety (which some might see as idiot-proofing because too many drivers are distracted by phones...), and with the lower-end brands fitting it as standard, or at the very least an option, Tesla will need to keep up eventually, especially if they want to retain their 'safest car on the road' crown.

Another truth in the article is that it is damned big for English roads! Speaking as somebody who just test drove one in London, and now has a P85+ on order. Still, I've ran plenty of BIG classic yanks (including a Suburban) and it's fine. Plus I've also driven literally thousands of miles in the US and there are plenty of narrow lanes and streets over there too. Some Brits seem obsessed with American roads being bigger than ours. It's true overall, but it's not black and white.

Another truth in the article is that it is damned big for English roads! Speaking as somebody who just test drove one in London, and now has a P85+ on order. Still, I've ran plenty of BIG classic yanks (including a Suburban) and it's fine. Plus I've also driven literally thousands of miles in the US and there are plenty of narrow lanes and streets over there too. Some Brits seem obsessed with American roads being bigger than ours. It's true overall, but it's not black and white.

You're right, even the width-restrictions (I remember one on the A2 coming into London that's a bit nasty, and well beaten by many wing mirrors!) aren't as bad as they seem, as long as you 'know' your car. My concern if I was still in the UK are the car parks, there's so little space between the cars compared to most places here (one reason I used to love the Costco car parks in the UK, since they seem to have the same size spaces as the US). Parking is easy enough, but avoiding door dings is more of a challenge.

You're right, even the width-restrictions (I remember one on the A2 coming into London that's a bit nasty, and well beaten by many wing mirrors!) aren't as bad as they seem, as long as you 'know' your car. My concern if I was still in the UK are the car parks, there's so little space between the cars compared to most places here (one reason I used to love the Costco car parks in the UK, since they seem to have the same size spaces as the US). Parking is easy enough, but avoiding door dings is more of a challenge.

At least it's a four-door though, so the doors aren't too big. My wife and I also have a Nissan GT-R, which is a wide car anyway, but the humongous doors make it even more difficult in supermarket car-parks.