Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 premium audio in RHD/UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The pillar speakers are really just for the surround sound effect. If you turn off immersive audio I don't think you would hear anything from them.

You can use the balance controls to "point" the sound various directions around the car and listen to make sure you hear speakers in the direction you picked with the "joystick" type controls.

And, yes, I think the "normal" soundstage is very forward in this car. It sounds like you are an audience with the band playing in the frunk.

So, where exactly is the sub located. Is it in the right rear wheel well?

Because on most music that isn't electronic I'm struggling to hear any bass coming from behind me. It all seems to come from the speaker under the windscreen. I had to turn the sub and mid bass levels up a fair bit to get any decent bass on stuff like Rock (via Spotify).

So, where exactly is the sub located. Is it in the right rear wheel well?
Here's the diagram from the EPC (sub is item 1):
1625071016383.png

Reactions: Nick77
@Nick77 Bass below about 80hz is not going to be directional so very difficult to hear the source when sitting in the front seats - subwoofer bass will always 'sound' as if it emanates from the other front speakers for that reason.

If you want to be sure the sub is working then I suggest opening the boot and listening there to check it out. As for Spotify, that is a restricted bandwidth source so listening to FLAC or even 320mp3 music via a USB drive will provide a significantly higher quality, including tighter, deeper bass.

Reactions: Nick77 and Durzel
Cheers guys.

Only reason I was a little suss was that I've just come from an Audi with their A.S.S (Audi Sound System) which had a similar ported plastic enclosure in the spare wheel well in the boot, with a 5 inch bass speaker. That was quite punchy and you could feel it as well as hear it when you turned up a bass heavy track.

Cheers guys.

Only reason I was a little suss was that I've just come from an Audi with their A.S.S (Audi Sound System) which had a similar ported plastic enclosure in the spare wheel well in the boot, with a 5 inch bass speaker. That was quite punchy and you could feel it as well as hear it when you turned up a bass heavy track.
We already know from your avatar that you are going to turn it up to 11 …

That also sums up the Tesla Premium Sound System when a good source is playing (audio quality is greatly impacted by the original mastering & production so some music via Spotify can actually sound pretty impressive)
Cheers I definitely noticed the newer and better produced/mastered songs sound much better. Ed Sheeran's new one Bad Habits (yeah I know) via Spotify sounds absolutely banging. Plus the stuff on my USB are only basic 192kbps VBR mp3s.

I checked out the boot earlier and the sub is definitely working and vibrating the carpet that side!

Maybe it's because the sound stage is so forwards in these the rear kind of disappears somewhat. I used to push it all forwards then blend the back in to add a nice amount of rear fill. Doesn't seem to work quite as well on these somehow.

Cheers I definitely noticed the newer and better produced/mastered songs sound much better. Ed Sheeran's new one Bad Habits (yeah I know) via Spotify sounds absolutely banging. Plus the stuff on my USB are only basic 192kbps VBR mp3s.

I checked out the boot earlier and the sub is definitely working and vibrating the carpet that side!

Maybe it's because the sound stage is so forwards in these the rear kind of disappears somewhat. I used to push it all forwards then blend the back in to add a nice amount of rear fill. Doesn't seem to work quite as well on these somehow.
Try it with the seat backs down and see if it comes through better.

Tesla used to have a pass through screen from trunk/boot that could let sound through, but they later switched to a solid rear deck.

Reactions: Nick77
This is a great thread that I just discovered!

Would love tips for what’s the best initial/easiest mod to make to improve sound quality.

I have a Y premium sound. Listen to pop/rap/R&B/dance mostly off of 320/m3a usb stick.

Like strong bass but prefer clarity.

Mess with eq settings?
On another thread I saw but a whole above the sub woofer enclosure?

Also any thoughts about the Orella or NVX subwoofer upgrade kits?

thx!