Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Stupid Ideas" For long range Electric Vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a question in-line with this thread:

Could towing a canoe improve the aerodynamics of a car? (Or maybe not make it any worse)

This is actually a real world scenario for me and my S, potentially. Earlier in the thread there was a black car with an extended butt and that got me thinking.

The canoe would be very low to the ground, and the trailer, besides the wheels, would be within the profile of the canoe.

Thoughts?

It could do both, but I guess it gets worse. Aerodynamics and guesswork don't really work that well together, you would have to go to a wind tunnel to find out.

If you fill a car with helium instead of air, it gets lighter and the normal force gets even lower than with another car with the same mass.

Nope. Two cars with the same mass, displacing the same amount of air, both weigh and mass the same, and have exactly the same efficiency. Details of that mass aren't relevant.

Thank you kindly.

THE FOLLOWING IS NOT A STUPID IDEA:

Be able to plug a charge lead into two Tesla's, joining them together so that the higher charged Tesla can power the lesser charged one whilst driving. This is not mechanically towing btw.

It can also be used to charge the lesser charged one when stationary.

Elon I know you read this forum so when you implement this just give a shout out to me, that's all I ask.:cool:

Doing it that way won't work out well if there's much difference between the battery charge levels.

If you simply connect the high voltage circuits of the two cars together directly as you seem to be suggesting, you'll get a massive surge of power from the high voltage battery to the low voltage one that you can't control - and which will likely blow the main or cell fuses on one or both packs - it would overheat and damage wiring and pack components without those protections.

The safe way to do this is with a DC-DC converter - a simple device to transfer power across a voltage differential which will allow you to control the amount of power that flows and hold it to safe levels. Toyota put a 20 kW one into the heart of the Prius system (650V motors, ~200V battery pack) starting with the second generation and it seems to be working out pretty well (though it did have unfortunate implications when they made a plug in hybrid.)

Of course, you also have to sort out the details of wiring it together and convincing the car to allow the connection, especially while driving. I don't imagine anyone from Tesla or the NHTSA will be terribly happy about 400V DC running down flexible wiring between two cars while driving down the road...

Nope. Two cars with the same mass, displacing the same amount of air, both weigh and mass the same, and have exactly the same efficiency. Details of that mass aren't relevant.

Thank you kindly.

So first, if you would supplement air with helium, wit would weigh less. But thats not the point. Rolling resistance increases proportionally with the normal force applied to that wheel. So if you add buoyancy that normal force will in turn be lower, even if the mass would stay the same. So the car will be more efficient.

You're kindly welcome.

Reactions: Gen3 and 1208
I'm waiting for a Wrangler with 300 miles of range in "eco mode" and a deployable onboard thin-film solar array. Something the width of the rear bumper that's spooled up then rolls out 20+ yards for stationary charging on the beach. Something roughly the displacement of a 2006 Wrangler gas tank? Solar charging 20% to 90% in 2hrs would be nice.

Now that's infinite range! ETA.......2025ish.

I'm waiting for a Wrangler with 300 miles of range in "eco mode" and a deployable onboard thin-film solar array. Something the width of the rear bumper that's spooled up then rolls out 20+ yards for stationary charging on the beach. Something roughly the displacement of a 2006 Wrangler gas tank? Solar charging 20% to 90% in 2hrs would be nice. Now that's infinite range! ETA.......2025ish.

If we put that 100 kWh of storage (i.e. from 20% to 90%), and assume 100% efficiency for everything else, we get 2 hours to get 100 kWh is 50kW, divided by 2 meter width, (Full sun is 1kW per square meter), equals 25 meters long.

The theoretical limit of single layer photo-voltaic panels is around 45%, so double that.

General inefficiencies probably double that again.

So, more than 10 years.

Thank you kindly.

Last edited:
Keep 25 meters of length and fold it in thirds prior to spooling. I think 150m2 get the job done @ 25% efficiency.....problem solved! Hell, I'll even accept a 4hr charge time if you'd prefer.

There are obvious military applications here, hence the short horizon of 10 years at retail. Someone will have a version for military transport within a year or three.

Keep 25 meters of length and fold it in thirds prior to spooling. I think 150m2 get the job done @ 25% efficiency.....problem solved! Hell, I'll even accept a 4hr charge time if you'd prefer.

There are obvious military applications here, hence the short horizon of 10 years at retail. Someone will have a version for military transport within a year or three.

I prefer something on the car that is constantly charging even when driving. May add just 1/10th charging capability but is constant

LOL. Kind of like mid-air refueling by the Air Force. Get some trucks on the road with big battery banks in a trailer and hook me up! Weeee!

Slight variation: Have batteries in self-driving sleek looking carts strategically located in pods near highway on-ramps or on roadsides. Your Tesla sends a signal to them when it is ready for a charge. The FlexiCharger (TM) drives up to your car and autoconnects to charge the battery. It rolls along behind you until the charge is complete and then uses its self driving capability to find the next dock, where it is recharged for the next use.

You can also order snacks that are delivered to your window while you are on the road.

You could also have a "premium" version that for a small fee will wash the car while it is charging so the owner will not have to waste time at the car wash.

Perfect for those who don't need to use the bathroom and can't stand taking a break to Supercharge, or who hate wasting 15 minutes at the car wash every few weeks.

The FlexiCharger (TM) drives up to your car and autoconnects to charge the battery. It rolls along behind you until the charge is complete and then uses its self driving capability to find the next dock, where it is recharged for the next use..

Why not just connect another cable from the car back to the FlexiCharger and charge it right back up so it's ready for the next car! :D

Aside from most of your comments being well written and thought out. I swear I could punch you, every time I have to read your: "Thank you kindly"

You might want to get that looked at. Becoming violent in response to politeness is unlikely to serve you well in life.

If it sounds sarcastic in your head, please know that it does not in mine, when I write it. The reason I do write it is to make sure when I do that it is truly meant. If it is not, I delete the post.

Thank you kindly.

Reactions: mblakele
You might want to get that looked at. Becoming violent in response to politeness is unlikely to serve you well in life.

If it sounds sarcastic in your head, please know that it does not in mine, when I write it. The reason I do write it is to make sure when I do that it is truly meant. If it is not, I delete the post.

Thank you kindly.

Sorry, that, indeed, was too rude. It just sounds so sarcastic, maybe just in my head. But like I said, I really like your comments, but to put it more nicely, the "thank you kindly", just makes them sound so ignorant. And if you want to have an argument, the last thing you want is the person your arguing with to be unarguable. I try to keep in mind that you don't mean it the way, I would use it.

So again, I am sorry. Even if you would have meant it sarcastically.