Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stuttering Audio/Low FPS Rear Camera/Stuttering Alert Tones

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey - New M3 SR+ owner here in the UK. I am on 2019.28.3 fd63a5e. I'm having a lot of trouble with my the infotainment system right now and the issues all seem to be interconnected. It feels like when you're running an iPhone on beta software and it just gets too overloaded or an old computer that didn't have enough RAM to keep up.

Here are the symptoms:

- iPhone XS Max (iOS 13 beta) and iPhone XR (iOS 12 production) experiencing popping noise when streaming over bluetooth. If I try to interact and skip songs from the steering wheel or screen, there is a noticeable lag (5-6 seconds) before that action is completed.

- Rear view camera is VERY choppy. Skipping frames and a generally low framerate.

- I've had alert tones (like autopilot engaging) come out choppy and stuttered

I drove a Model 3 in the US at the end of May from a Turo rental. I believe it was a 2.5 hardware model so obviously my hw3 version is different but I did not experience these issues at all over 4 days of driving that car around heavily. I've done the usual re-boot the infotainment console approach.

Has anyone else experienced this? Found a solution?

PS - I also have a service booked as the car has condensation in one of the boot brake light units and some interior rattles so I'll get them all sorted then.

I can see form other threads about the poor reversing camera framerate but nothing where all three of these symptoms were present.

I had a rapid "clipping" of audio in my rear door speakers as well as the trunk mounted subwoofer, and it ended up being a loose audio connector. A service tech at the Tesla Service Center found it and took care of the issue in about ten minutes. I didn't notice an issue with the video signal for the rear camera though, so this may not be the same issue. Just wanted to pass it along it's of some value.

@WilliamG Yea, I noticed that from the other threads. I mentioned it as they all seemed related. My biggest issue is the audio. Now my turn signal (sounds) don't work or are inconsistent and all system noises (proximity alerts etc) either don't work or are stuttered and delayed.

It felt like this was related to the backup camera. It's interesting as when I picked it up Friday, this wasn't happening. It's just getting increasingly worse.

@WilliamG Yea, I noticed that from the other threads. I mentioned it as they all seemed related. My biggest issue is the audio. Now my turn signal (sounds) don't work or are inconsistent and all system noises (proximity alerts etc) either don't work or are stuttered and delayed.

It felt like this was related to the backup camera. It's interesting as when I picked it up Friday, this wasn't happening. It's just getting increasingly worse.

You tried a reboot? Failing that, leaving the car overnight so it goes to sleep by itself often also fixes weird things.

I have done the soft reboot (both steering wheel knobs) and a hard one (both knobs with the brake). Didn't seem to do the trick. I think that's all you can do, right? I also manually tried turning the car off and on.

It's getting worse too. Day one, Friday, no problems other than a slight bluetooth music streaming stutter. That night, I ran the 2019.28.3 fd63a5e update that was showing on my phone when I picked up the car. On Saturday I had a lot of Bluetooth popping and drop outs (or random popping noises from various speakers when nothing was playing) but for a good chunk of that day, it was fine. Yesterday got a bit worse - regularly dropping bluetooth audio but the radio seemed OK. Today has been an utter shi* show. No audio would play without stuttering beyond belief, the reversing cam went all haywire and the notification sounds (proximity alert, indicators, autopilot dong) all either stuttered, didn't play or didn't play until 5 seconds after the event occurred.

I had this bluetooth issue with my HW3 too, had to delete the phone from the car and and the car from the phone and reconnect them, That fixed my issue.

I also have HW3 with the laggy camera. Tesla is trying to figure out whats going on, they have replaced my camera, no change. Please make a service request for it.

No joy with Bluetooth. I don’t think that’s where the problem lies anyways. Take a look at this video. This is a broadcast radio (not streaming), also more the indicator flashes vs noises and also how choppy the alert noise is when I put my foot on the brake.

That's quite extreme. You're on a newer software revision than most, so it's hard to say if it's something funky going on there or not.

I'm on 2019.24.4. But I'm going to guess either way that most people are not experiencing anything like this. Does this issue happen away from home? I'm wondering if there's any interference going on here...

That's quite extreme. You're on a newer software revision than most, so it's hard to say if it's something funky going on there or not.

I'm on 2019.24.4. But I'm going to guess either way that most people are not experiencing anything like this. Does this issue happen away from home? I'm wondering if there's any interference going on here...

Not localized anywhere sadly. Home, work, motorway. All over the place now. It didn’t happen when I first picked up my car but that was only for a few hours before I installed the update to the version I’m on now and with the progressive nature of this defect, I can’t rule out that it was occurring with the original firmware too.

I wouldn’t mind as much except Tesla refuse to see me until the 28th which is a long time to live with this on a brand new car. Any ideas for how I can escalate this?

Update: I was in Manchester for a meeting around the corner from the Service Centre in Stockport so I popped in. They very kindly took a look for me even though I didn't have an appointment. They did the usual re-set stuff and then did a re-install of the firmware and, subsequently, bumped it up to the 28.3.1 variant without any luck.

This morning I took it the Brooklands SC who spent a good 5 hours with it trying all manner of things but no joy. I'm bringing it back in on Tuesday after the bank holiday and taking a loaner S for a while whilst they sort it out. It may involve replacing the liquid cooled computer core as we all seem to agree it's not software and they've swapped out the only two other physical components that could be causing the issue. I would have taken the loaner today but the S doesn't fit in my garage so I can't charge it (I never understand why so many double garages in this country are split into two doors! Knock out the damn middle pillar and make it a big door).

I'll update as things progress.

So after a lot of back and forth between the engineering team and the service centre team, they’ve determined that I’ll need to get a new main computer board (the liquid cooled one). Apparently the first time they’ve had to do this on a M3 in the UK. Lucky me!

Part on its way and due next week. Let’s hope it ultimately resolves the problem!

So after a lot of back and forth between the engineering team and the service centre team, they’ve determined that I’ll need to get a new main computer board (the liquid cooled one). Apparently the first time they’ve had to do this on a M3 in the UK. Lucky me!

Part on its way and due next week. Let’s hope it ultimately resolves the problem!

Yeah. That seemed the most likely cause. I suspect that resolution will...resolve it.

Hey - New M3 SR+ owner here in the UK. I am on 2019.28.3 fd63a5e. I'm having a lot of trouble with my the infotainment system right now and the issues all seem to be interconnected. It feels like when you're running an iPhone on beta software and it just gets too overloaded or an old computer that didn't have enough RAM to keep up.

Here are the symptoms:

- iPhone XS Max (iOS 13 beta) and iPhone XR (iOS 12 production) experiencing popping noise when streaming over bluetooth. If I try to interact and skip songs from the steering wheel or screen, there is a noticeable lag (5-6 seconds) before that action is completed.

- Rear view camera is VERY choppy. Skipping frames and a generally low framerate.

- I've had alert tones (like autopilot engaging) come out choppy and stuttered

I drove a Model 3 in the US at the end of May from a Turo rental. I believe it was a 2.5 hardware model so obviously my hw3 version is different but I did not experience these issues at all over 4 days of driving that car around heavily. I've done the usual re-boot the infotainment console approach.

Has anyone else experienced this? Found a solution?

No joy with Bluetooth. I don’t think that’s where the problem lies anyways. Take a look at this video. This is a broadcast radio (not streaming), also more the indicator flashes vs noises and also how choppy the alert noise is when I put my foot on the brake.

I'm having this same issue in my model Y! Did you ever get it fixed? What was the resolution? My car has been at the service center for three weeks and they can't figure it out.