Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subscribe to FSD for road trip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just installed 2023.20.7, so I re-subscribed to FSD like I’ve done many times in the past. Every other time I subscribed, everything turned on immediately. Now it’s been almost 2 hours and there’s nothing. No Summon, no NOA, not one sign of the non-beta options, let alone the Beta features. My app and the car’s software screen shows I’ve got the subscription, but it’s like the car won’t turn anything on. I’m frankly at a loss.
I know it sounds obvious, but do some two-button resets and turn off the power from within the car and let it sleep for a while

Made it to WY. Still do t have 2023.20.7, so this is a standard FSD report. NOA was awesome the first day from San Diego to St. George. It really made the drive relaxing and worked flawlessly except for one phantom braking incident. It was around 7:30pm, so still plenty of light, but we were creating a hill. Today was a totally different story and my daughter eventually just asked me to stop using it. Three phantom braking incidents for no apparent reason and several ‘phantom freak outs’ as my daughter termed them when the left lane ended and the car just couldn’t handle the temporarily wide lane shrinking down. The car lurched to the right into the lane line and I disengaged. It also got confused for a stretch of highway wheee the lane line was quite faded and there was a line of tar; it seemed to confuse the two.

As for supercharging, it was quite a mixed bag. We waited ten minutes for a spot in Primm, NV and then spent 1 hr 20 minutes charging as the station was full and it was charging at less than 30kW. Stations that weren’t full plus one that was full in Draper, UT charged at max speeds. I’m no expert in SCing as this is our first road trip, but if opening up NACS gives us more experiences like Primm, it’s going to be awful. I’m hoping there is something about that station or that they can really ramp installs to keep up with all the EVs on the road the next few years. The stations that charged quickly were great. Just the right amount of time for a pitstop , food, and walking the dog. Not that different than an ICE car.

I hope I’ll get FSDb for the trip home next week so I can compare.

Reactions: ModelX
NOA was awesome the first day from San Diego to St. George. It really made the drive relaxing and worked flawlessly except for one phantom braking incident.
Today was a totally different story and my daughter eventually just asked me to stop using it.
Can you say anything about the conditions on the two days? Was it noticeably warmer outside on one day versus the other? Were the braking events happening at different times of day? Did you go to Salt Lake City and then east into Cheyenne? If so, did the braking happen on that eastbound leg?
if opening up NACS gives us more experiences like Primm, it’s going to be awful.
I have confidence that Tesla is going to make Supercharging work, one way or another. If they don't, it's going to seriously erode people's confidence in Tesla and, in turn, electric cars.

All of the phantom braking happened in roughly the same conditions: daylight, super hot (over 100) between Vegas a SLC. The merging problems were in the morning the next day when the temp was between 90 and 100. Also clear skies and daylight. The phantom braking was all when headed North. We took 80E to Evanston and then 89N.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
I know it sounds obvious, but do some two-button resets and turn off the power from within the car and let it sleep for a while
Oh, I did all the normal steps. Scroll Wheel reboot, powered off via the Security tab, let it sleep overnight, took it on a few drives, turned WIFI off and back on, tried on someone else’s wifi. After an entire day, I finally called Tesla and a very friendly person confirmed that I subscribed but my car was not provisioned for FSD. She re-sent the activation signal, and everything started working almost immediately. As expected, I had immediate access to FSDb with my 2023.20.7 update. Pretty cool. There’s a definite improvement from when I had FSDb last time (about a year ago). So far, it’s only tried to kill me once in the last two days. And I like that I can now come and go as I want without having to wait to be put back into the non-beta software path and vice versa.

So I got the 20230.20.7 update this morning and turned on FSDb for a 50 mile trip from my parents’ house to Jackson. It worked pretty well! Three disengagements on the way there: it got confused twice by right hand turn lanes that it really wanted to enter even though we weren’t turning and I had to take over when a pickup pulled in front of us and waved me to go around which the car obviously couldn’t understand. Otherwise, it worked surprisingly well and even my parents were impressed. Nowhere near ready to work as a robotaxi, but on rural roads and in a crowded town, it worked well.

Reactions: Yelobird and BitJam
Looks like a modification of the S3XY button system.
Not sure what you mean by that but im bringing code I’ve been using in the OpenPilot Tesla branch since 2019 and just modifying to get the same experience. It’s running on my own hardware that was launched for S/X in 2020 and now is available for 3/Y as welll

I don't know what this is or how it works, but I do have one question: can I easily disable whatever is re-engaging AP so that when I don't want it on any more it's not constantly trying to re-engage it?
It only reengages IF ACC is still on (no break press). Any tap on the stalk will disable the reengagement until AP is enabled manually again.

Reactions: RTPEV