Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subscribe to FSD for road trip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We’re heading out on a long road trip and I’m considering subscribing to FSD for it. I’ve never used FSD so thought this might be a good time to try it out. Is it worth it?

Also, I’m currently on 2023.20.4.1. If I get the upgrade to 2023.20.7, will I be able to get the beta? Is there a good strategy for getting into the beta in a subscription?

In my opinion, the answer to your first question is barely. The one feature that is really nice to have is the auto lane change, and by that, I simply mean having the car automatically change lanes at your request without having to disengage and re-engage autopilot. As for the "Navigate on Autopilot" functionality (where it changes lanes all on its own), it's kind of nice, but it also has enough annoying behaviors that I tend to turn that off anyway and just initiate lane changes on my own.

Now is that worth $200? I think not, but I could see how some might think it is. I have to admit, having this functionality, I do think I would really miss it if I didn't have it, but I just can't see spending $200 for it either. Why this capability isn't split out and included with Autopilot, or at least a cheaper Enhanced Autopilot subscription, I don't know. Other car brands more or less include this functionality in their auto steer offerings.

The other FSD behavior ("self" driving on surface streets) is definitely not worth it. And don't worry about the beta vs. non-beta.

Reactions: Ami-Sven
For road trips, I found that FSD really helps when you're constantly passing trucks and then want to get back in the same lane. Using the turn signals to change lanes is much easier than the disengage/reengage process for every pass. For a multi day trip, it's definitely worth it for me.

You can probably get the beta with that version, but it's really a handful until you get used to it. The highway stack is mostly good, but city streets is probably not wife/family approved.

If you really want the beta, make the payment and then request it on the car screen under Autopilot. Right now that version is getting a lot of beta downloads, check here:

Since your current software is a lower version than the current FSD beta version, that puts you in a better position. As to when your car will offer the beta software download, it can be hours or days after you subscribe. Or if Tesla has paused new beta enrollments for whatever reason, it could be weeks or months.

Long story short, subscribe if you are going to be happy with just regular FSD features for the price (EAP + stop sign and traffic light control). Don’t subscribe expecting to get FSD beta because you might not.

I say don't listen to other people and give it a try and determine for yourself. You may decide you love it and want to subscribe every month or maybe only certain months or maybe not again. But then you will KNOW what it is for you and not what some "expert" (like me 🤣) on the inter webs said.

FSD beta is much better on highways than NOA. NOA can be very frustrating because it takes five seconds to initiate a lane change after it puts on the turn signals. This causes it to often slow way down behind a truck and invites other cars to cut jump into the faster lane that delays the lane change even longer. FSDb makes lane changes much faster and avoids this issue.

FSDb is also MUCH better at getting into the correct lane to prepare to exit the highway. And, given that there is much more development effort on FSDb than NOA, you will likely have fewer phantom braking issues with FSDb.

Use of FSDb on city streets does, as another poster said, require some getting used to. Passengers tend to find is more disconcerting than drivers, so keep that in mind if you are traveling with family.

The only question will be whether you can get FSDb prior to the start of your trip. 2023.20.7 is starting to roll out widely, so there's a good chance that it will go to your car in the next week.

My frustration with the standard AutoPilot feature is that is the front camera sensor detects any debris at all on the windshield the autopilot turns on the windshield wipers. This can't be overridden. It is VERY annoying, and the result of updates to the more recent software updates.

The result is that I find that autopilot, particularly at night, is no longer usable in all conditions. I'm hopeful that Musk's announcement that the windshield wiper program is being rewritten will alleviate the problem. We'll see.

I haven't used the FSD subscription on my recent 2,000 mile trip, largely because I didn't want to have the potential for the windshield wipers to randomly turn on when they're not needed. My Model Y is a 2023 AWD, 4680 battery, Austin built car without USS. That may or may not be part of the issue, but regardless it isn't worth spending extra money for a service that seems flawed, at least for my use.

Reactions: Ami-Sven
I tried to get FSD Beta by subscribing, was on 2023.20.4 and had a 7hour roadtrip to Dallas and back. I only got Navigate on Autopilot and traffic light and stop sign control. the Lane change worked great, worth $200 for the route trip?, maybe. Traffic light and stop sign control? why was it stopping for green lights 4 out of 5 times?

For me, I use around 6 hours as the yes/no decision threshold. If I'm going to have two or more days of 6+ hours of sustained highway driving during the trip, I'll subscribe. Below that and I'll probably skip it (and swear under my breath every time I have to disengage autopilot to change lanes).
yeah, and swear under my breath when she would not let me get it when it was $6000.

FSD beta is much better on highways than NOA. NOA can be very frustrating because it takes five seconds to initiate a lane change after it puts on the turn signals. This causes it to often slow way down behind a truck and invites other cars to cut jump into the faster lane that delays the lane change even longer. FSDb makes lane changes much faster and avoids this issue.

FSDb is also MUCH better at getting into the correct lane to prepare to exit the highway. And, given that there is much more development effort on FSDb than NOA, you will likely have fewer phantom braking issues with FSDb.

Use of FSDb on city streets does, as another poster said, require some getting used to. Passengers tend to find is more disconcerting than drivers, so keep that in mind if you are traveling with family.

The only question will be whether you can get FSDb prior to the start of your trip. 2023.20.7 is starting to roll out widely, so there's a good chance that it will go to your car in the next week.
I really could have used FSD beta for the purpose of getting into the correct lane to exit. the problem with road trips to to and through unfamiliar cities is that signage and nav announcements get confusing at 75 MPH in heavy traffic and the (^&*$@%=!)locals won't give you a break to get into the exit lane. Seems like the phrase navigate on Auto Pilot would mean put you into the exit or interchange lane automatically.

We’re heading out on a long road trip and I’m considering subscribing to FSD for it. I’ve never used FSD so thought this might be a good time to try it out. Is it worth it?

Also, I’m currently on 2023.20.4.1. If I get the upgrade to 2023.20.7, will I be able to get the beta? Is there a good strategy for getting into the beta in a subscription?
my 2023.20.4 did not get FSD Beta for me on 6/28/23. (the night before my trip) bummer. Tonight after returning from trip 2023.20.7 finally downloaded and I got Beta. so maybe it will for you too. Good luck! Even if you don't get Beta you will love the Auto lane change on NOA.

One positive aspect of FSDb that hasn't been mentioned yet is navigation. Yes, all Teslas already have the on-screen navigation but FSDb is good at following the route that was selected. With two of you, combining navigating and driving is not so hard but letting FSDb handle them both takes some of the stress out of traveling to new places.

As others have said, you will have to decide for yourself if it's worth it. Your current use of Autopilot would be provide a clue. I was using AP for most of my driving before I got FSDb. If you aren't using AP much then FSDb might not be for you.

Reactions: Ridgeline
BitJam, I use auto pilot ALL the time and am about to wear out the stock by constant double tapping. I can't imagine steering a car all the way to North Dallas from south of Houston. Auto Pilot takes a lot of the stress out. I just got Beta tonight and anxious to try it. BTW, what's up with these phantom slow downs on auto pilot at certain spots on the freeways? Anyone know the cause of it?

BTW, what's up with these phantom slow downs on auto pilot at certain spots on the freeways? Anyone know the cause of it?
There are already many dozens of threads discussing this. One cause can be mirages. Another possibility is the car gets the speed limit wrong. If you want to discuss this further I recommend using an existing "Phantom Braking" thread.

Congrats on getting FSDb!

• Helpful
Reactions: JB47394
There are already many dozens of threads discussing this. One cause can be mirages. Another possibility is the car gets the speed limit wrong. If you want to discuss this further I recommend using an existing "Phantom Braking" thread.

Congrats on getting FSDb!
BitJam, thanks for the advice of going to the thread(s) that discusses slowdowns and phantom braking. I will do it.

my 2023.20.4 did not get FSD Beta for me on 6/28/23. (the night before my trip) bummer. Tonight after returning from trip 2023.20.7 finally downloaded and I got Beta. so maybe it will for you too. Good luck! Even if you don't get Beta you will love the Auto lane change on NOA.
I just installed 2023.20.7, so I re-subscribed to FSD like I’ve done many times in the past. Every other time I subscribed, everything turned on immediately. Now it’s been almost 2 hours and there’s nothing. No Summon, no NOA, not one sign of the non-beta options, let alone the Beta features. My app and the car’s software screen shows I’ve got the subscription, but it’s like the car won’t turn anything on. I’m frankly at a loss.