Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subwoofer install on standard audio package?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have late 2017 Model X with standard audio. Interested in seeing if it is possible to install a subwoofer somehow - I removed the cover panels over where the subwoofer lies on premium audio versions (rear right) to see the set-up. It appears there are prewired connectors and a space to fit a subwoofer - see attached picture. There are three wires, each with its own different connector type - but I don't know what function each is for. Do you guys think it is possible to install a subwoofer here and connect it to these connectors for a working aftermarket subwoofer? Additional thoughts?

Attachments

• PXL_20201206_204108713.jpg
    PXL_20201206_204108713.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 269
STOP! WHAAAAAAAAAA??????

If it's really pre-wired it could be a game changer. The question is: is it plug-and-play!?!

I looked on EPC and here are the parts for sub and amp

amp_sub.jpg

AUDIO, AMPLIFIER, EXTERNAL, PREMIUM
AUDIO,SPEAKER,ASSEMBLY,SUBWOOFER, MX
1004833-10-A
1050085-00-E

I'm going to email my local parts department and service advisor (they're both amazing) to get their thoughts.

I'll keep you guys posted!

Jose

Reactions: woodychau
STOP! WHAAAAAAAAAA??????

If it's really pre-wired it could be a game changer. The question is: is it plug-and-play!?!

I looked on EPC and here are the parts for sub and amp

View attachment 656597

AUDIO, AMPLIFIER, EXTERNAL, PREMIUM
AUDIO,SPEAKER,ASSEMBLY,SUBWOOFER, MX
1004833-10-A
1050085-00-E

I'm going to email my local parts department and service advisor (they're both amazing) to get their thoughts.

I'll keep you guys posted!

Jose
Any luck getting a reply from your guys?

Hi guys, well, I'm afraid I don't have good news. Here's the scoop.

I reached out to my SC with the idea and asked if they knew this could be done. They said they didn't but were happy to order the parts and try. They quoted the following:
  • Subwoofer $85
  • Amp $385
  • I gave them the green light on the tweeters without getting a price but based on the other two, I'm gonna guesstimate $20 each
  • Install $210
So, out the door I was looking at around $900. I said LET'S DO IT!

I dropped off the car after the parts arrived and got a call the next morning that the car is missing "several main body harnesses which connect the audio system to several modules in your vehicle. Additionally, we would not be able to configure the vehicle due to that very reason."

They were kind enough not to charge me for the labor time they spent trying. I think they were just as excited as I was about the prospect and were honestly happy to try.

A few parting thoughts:
  • I was shocked at how cheap the parts are.
  • No wonder Tesla purposely omitted the harnesses. If the difference between the base and premium system is about $500 worth of parts, many people would opt to go the workaround way and upgrade later rather than pay a fortune up front. But, that's a moot point now because there's only one system.
I think I'm giving up on the stereo upgrade idea. The more I think about it, the more I realize the car's acoustics and insulation are terrible. Throwing $4,000 worth of Reus upgrades is gonna make the system sound louder and brighter, but all that is gonna get swallowed by the the hollow cabin.

My workaround really got close to how I like sound to surround me. Until another option comes along, I'm gonna learn to live with that.

Jose

Last edited:
Reactions: woodychau