Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Successful data recovery of broken eMMC chip MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have 2022.8.10-16 mcu1 firmware, please PM to me.
FYI: you don't need ssl keys for the car to run. you just won't have phone app access or anything that requires communication with Tesla. I could provision you a reasonably plug-and-play CID with nothing more than your vehicle config (gateway.cfg aka internal.dat) and even if you didn't have that, I could generate one if I knew the VIN and all the options the vehicle has/doesn't have. You would then need to physically install it and issue a redeploy.

It sounds like you have access to your IC. The config is stored in /var/etc/gateway.cfg and should contain a long list with stuff like:

Code:
chargertype dual
airsuspension 1
adaptivecruise 0
frontfog 0
rearfog 1
corneringlamps 1
homelink 1
sunroof 1
powerlift 1
audiotype premium
headlamp hid

Last edited:
FYI: you don't need ssl keys for the car to run. you just won't have phone app access or anything that requires communication with Tesla. I could provision you a reasonably plug-and-play CID with nothing more than your vehicle config (gateway.cfg aka internal.dat) and even if you didn't have that, I could generate one if I knew the VIN and all the options the vehicle has/doesn't have. You would then need to physically install it and issue a redeploy.

It sounds like you have access to your IC. The config is stored in /var/etc/gateway.cfg and should contain a long list with stuff like:

Code:
chargertype dual
airsuspension 1
adaptivecruise 0
frontfog 0
rearfog 1
corneringlamps 1
homelink 1
sunroof 1
powerlift 1
audiotype premium
headlamp hid
Thanks @cloneguru , we have the gateway.cfg and vin files from the IC. I suppose now have to use the Tesla Model S/X MCU1 eMMC image creator to create the image and add the gateway.cfg in it?

Thanks @cloneguru , we have the gateway.cfg and vin files from the IC. I suppose now have to use the Tesla Model S/X MCU1 eMMC image creator to create the image and add the gateway.cfg in it?
It's not quite that simple... the Spansion flash chip needs to match the eMMC firmware. You can't just replace the eMMC with different firmware and expect it to work. You need to write the same firmware version the Spansion last installed and booted to onto the replacement eMMC unless you also reflash the Spansion chip to match the target firmware version.

You can upgrade via cid-updater and a firmware image hosted on a web server if the Tegra is currently booting and functional. You just can't downgrade to previous major versions. Example: you can upgrade/downgrade between 2022.8.10.5 and 2022.8.10.16, you can upgrade to 2022.8.10.16 from anything <=2022.8.10.16, but you can't downgrade to 2020.36.x via cid-updater.

It's not quite that simple... the Spansion flash chip needs to match the eMMC firmware. You can't just replace the eMMC with different firmware and expect it to work. You need to write the same firmware version the Spansion last installed and booted to onto the replacement eMMC unless you also reflash the Spansion chip to match the target firmware version.

You can upgrade via cid-updater and a firmware image hosted on a web server if the Tegra is currently booting and functional. You just can't downgrade to previous major versions. Example: you can upgrade/downgrade between 2022.8.10.5 and 2022.8.10.16, you can upgrade to 2022.8.10.16 from anything <=2022.8.10.16, but you can't downgrade to 2020.36.x via cid-updater.
My Spansion flash chip have to match the firmware version as it was the same as the one on a web server before to broke the eMMC chip. At the moment we have take the emmc and Spansion firmware (latest) from different car and flashed both to the broken MCU, which is starting now. Current issue is that the IC is not starting - maybe because the oldest firmware version.

My Spansion flash chip have to match the firmware version as it was the same as the one on a web server before to broke the eMMC chip. At the moment we have take the emmc and Spansion firmware (latest) from different car and flashed both to the broken MCU, which is starting now. Current issue is that the IC is not starting - maybe because the oldest firmware version.
Can you ping the IC from the CID?

Can you issue a redeploy?

Code:
nc cid 25956
service-redeploy

Can you ping the IC from the CID?

Can you issue a redeploy?

Code:
nc cid 25956
service-redeploy
Now the IC is working, there was a super tiny invisible wire connected to the quartz which have left after the memory dump. Now both displays are 'live' but there isn`t any kind of communication to the Tesla :( . Maybe its time to bring the car to Tesla Service center in Romania.
@cloneguru thanks for the help and guidance.

Reactions: cloneguru