Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudbury here we come

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Huntsville shows as 8/8 stalls available again in my car. It didn't show any stalls available message at all when it was down. I suspect its back up.

Drone Flyer's photos are, in order:

1) Parking lot at Big Nickel, in Sudbury, looking toward the nickel
2) Drone flight up close to the nickel
3) Drone shot of the 6 cars at the Sudbury supercharger
4) Drone shot of the 6 cars at the Parry Sound supercharger
5) Drone shot of the 6 cars at the Barrie Bayfield supercharger
6-10 are the same shots over again

My post:

1) The 5 cars remaining overlooking the cliff at Big Nickel (facing roughly the opposite direction as Drone Flyer's first shot)
2) The 6 cars at Parry Sound supercharger, shot within a couple minutes of Drone Flyer's 4th shot
3) The 5 cars at the Huntsville supercharger after we broke it.

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP
Well I couldn't join you guys on the trek but I did drive to Sudbury last weekend with my parents, a road trip worth 1,026km done in 14hrs.

I guess for me the 90D is now tried tested and true in every major scenarios (including worst conditions) I could imagine of. I am nothing short of amazed by the capacity of this car as far as road tripping goes.

SC's visited:
Cornwall
Kingston
Port Hope (range charge)
Parry Sound (range charge)
Sudbury.

On the way back (1,200km in18hrs):
Pickering
Port Hope
Kingston
Cornwall
Dix30 for a range charge.

Encountered -31C driving back from Sudbury to Parry Sound.

Loved the road trip! I think my Dad really enjoyed his first drive of the Tesla as well. He was kinda bummed saying how he had to drive back to QC City in his Civic, hehehe.

Well I couldn't join you guys on the trek but I did drive to Sudbury last weekend with my parents, a road trip worth 1,026km done in 14hrs.

I guess for me the 90D is now tried tested and true in every major scenarios (including worst conditions) I could imagine of. I am nothing short of amazed by the capacity of this car as far as road tripping goes.

SC's visited:
Cornwall
Kingston
Port Hope (range charge)
Sudbury.

On the way back (1,200km in18hrs):
Pickering
Port Hope
Kingston
Cornwall
Dix30 for a range charge.

Encountered -31C driving back from Sudbury to Parry Sound.

Loved the road trip! I think my Dad really enjoyed his first drive of the Tesla as well. He was kinda bummed saying how he had to drive back to QC City in his Civic, hehehe.

I am surprised you had to do those Range Charge on a 90 KWH battery. I have a P85D and I only hit 90% max on any session. Mind you, it could have been much colder for you, more passengers, etc, etc. Did you feel at any point that you were pushing the range based on the consumption trend? I tend to watch my range graph on longer segments and wish the software can account for my heater usage better. I find the historical consumption estimate to be more accurate than the forward-looking capacity graph during winter usage.

I am surprised you had to do those Range Charge on a 90 KWH battery. I have a P85D and I only hit 90% max on any session. Mind you, it could have been much colder for you, more passengers, etc, etc. Did you feel at any point that you were pushing the range based on the consumption trend? I tend to watch my range graph on longer segments and wish the software can account for my heater usage better. I find the historical consumption estimate to be more accurate than the forward-looking capacity graph during winter usage.
Most of those range charges were out of precaution as I was driving those routes for the first time and did not know much about the topography.

Also, dealing with -14C and headwinds of 20kph was really killing my range. Driving heavy with 4 passengers and luggage was not helping, so when I arrived in Parry Sound from Port Hope (277km) with 45km left I was ready to settle for that. Obviously in Parry Sound the range charge was not required to get to Sudbury, but then temps had dropped to below -20C with the same headwinds, and I would plug into a 120V outlet only until I went to the Sudbury SC on Sunday.

On the way back from Parry Sound I wanted to make it back to Port Hope but going through 400 then 401, but I had to get out of it and stop in Pickering for a quick splash. Again, from Port Hope I was hoping to make it to Cornwall and would probably have made it, but I opted out of it by caution and going the quick stops way allowed to drive back at 120kph instead.

But yeah if it had been during summertime I would have shot Sudbury from a full-balanced range charge in Ottawa: 485km :cool: Actually, I might try it next summer. Because I can. :D

Reactions: ig_epower