TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sudbury here we come

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mrElbe, Jan 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. rypalmer

rypalmer Active Member

Someone should call Metro tonight and ask them if there are any lights on across the parking lot.

2. Mr. PlugShare

Mr. PlugShare PlugShare Maniac & Active Member

3. racer26

racer26 Active Member

Huntsville shows as 8/8 stalls available again in my car. It didn't show any stalls available message at all when it was down. I suspect its back up.

Drone Flyer's photos are, in order:

1) Parking lot at Big Nickel, in Sudbury, looking toward the nickel
    2) Drone flight up close to the nickel
    3) Drone shot of the 6 cars at the Sudbury supercharger
    4) Drone shot of the 6 cars at the Parry Sound supercharger
    5) Drone shot of the 6 cars at the Barrie Bayfield supercharger
    6-10 are the same shots over again

My post:

1) The 5 cars remaining overlooking the cliff at Big Nickel (facing roughly the opposite direction as Drone Flyer's first shot)
    2) The 6 cars at Parry Sound supercharger, shot within a couple minutes of Drone Flyer's 4th shot
    3) The 5 cars at the Huntsville supercharger after we broke it.

• Informative x 1
  4. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Active Member

5. Mr. PlugShare

I think bottom one is Barrie Bayfield, not Vaughan Mills

6. racer26

racer26 Active Member

It definitely is, as I said in my post. I can tell you based on remembering the order the vehicles parked in.

7. DMC-Orangeville

DMC-Orangeville 85D and John Deere 5100E

Yep, it's Barrie, as I'm in the picture (red jacket). I only came to Barrie

8. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Sweet shots, they only sell red and black cars in Ontario? Weird.

• Funny x 1
  9. racer26

racer26 Active Member

It was a bit interesting that even as we gained and lost cars along the way we only got MC Red or Solid Black cars.

There's definitely other colors around. Mine is only black because that was the color a CPO with my desired feature set and price tag happened to be in.

10. wayner

wayner Active Member

If you had Roadsters you could have had some more colour variation, especially if someone local has the Very Orange that used to be at the Lawrence SC. But they would have had issues charging!

11. Mr. PlugShare

12. Drone Flyer

Trying to upload video but the site isn't allowing it. I'm trying all sorts of file extensions. Anyone know what extension and max file size TMC will allow?

13. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

Upload video to YouTube and then embed link here.

14. Whisky

Whisky Member

I took videos along the way of our Subdury trip. Our most 'picturesque' arrival was definitely at the Parry Sound Supercharger (the first, of three times). Great opportunity to play around with a 360 camera as well!

• Like x 6
  15. Drone Flyer

Where did you get the 360 Camera?

16. Whisky

Whisky Member

GoPro Fusion. It’s good! But damn does it require a ton of CPU. My three year old iMac fully loaded i7 is fine, but so so so slow in this regard

17. sauce

sauce :P

Well I couldn't join you guys on the trek but I did drive to Sudbury last weekend with my parents, a road trip worth 1,026km done in 14hrs.

I guess for me the 90D is now tried tested and true in every major scenarios (including worst conditions) I could imagine of. I am nothing short of amazed by the capacity of this car as far as road tripping goes.

SC's visited:
    Cornwall
    Kingston
    Port Hope (range charge)
    Parry Sound (range charge)
    Sudbury.

On the way back (1,200km in18hrs):
    Parry Sound (range charge)
    Pickering
    Port Hope
    Kingston
    Cornwall
    Dix30 for a range charge.

Encountered -31C driving back from Sudbury to Parry Sound.

Loved the road trip! I think my Dad really enjoyed his first drive of the Tesla as well. He was kinda bummed saying how he had to drive back to QC City in his Civic, hehehe.

• Like x 4
  18. ig_epower

ig_epower Member

I am surprised you had to do those Range Charge on a 90 KWH battery. I have a P85D and I only hit 90% max on any session. Mind you, it could have been much colder for you, more passengers, etc, etc. Did you feel at any point that you were pushing the range based on the consumption trend? I tend to watch my range graph on longer segments and wish the software can account for my heater usage better. I find the historical consumption estimate to be more accurate than the forward-looking capacity graph during winter usage.

19. sauce

Most of those range charges were out of precaution as I was driving those routes for the first time and did not know much about the topography.

Also, dealing with -14C and headwinds of 20kph was really killing my range. Driving heavy with 4 passengers and luggage was not helping, so when I arrived in Parry Sound from Port Hope (277km) with 45km left I was ready to settle for that. Obviously in Parry Sound the range charge was not required to get to Sudbury, but then temps had dropped to below -20C with the same headwinds, and I would plug into a 120V outlet only until I went to the Sudbury SC on Sunday.

On the way back from Parry Sound I wanted to make it back to Port Hope but going through 400 then 401, but I had to get out of it and stop in Pickering for a quick splash. Again, from Port Hope I was hoping to make it to Cornwall and would probably have made it, but I opted out of it by caution and going the quick stops way allowed to drive back at 120kph instead.

But yeah if it had been during summertime I would have shot Sudbury from a full-balanced range charge in Ottawa: 485km :cool: Actually, I might try it next summer. Because I can. :D

• Like x 1
  20. sauce

Quick splash... MY BAD!!! :eek:

• Like x 1