Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

sudden acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@MS16 - for real? I report facts here to help clarify, without casting blame & you go and tag every single one of my posts with Disagree? I opened up my alerts and started laughing.

Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 3.30.31 PM.png

Haha. Yes, but misleading.

Sterling Anderson, the self driving lead, was at the crash site (which is on his new company site). He seemed well aware of the sudden acceleration issue in the early model. He also believed sensor log report should gave valuable data.

The OP's assertion that Sterling was aware of sudden acceleration events in early models is incorrect.

So far it seems the OP has been the most accurate in the description of events.

That would make sense since the OP was there and the rest of weren't.

I'm glad Sterling was there and made sure that the OP knew about getting the log report. Hopefully Tesla, if asked enough times, will allow it.

• Disagree
Reactions: jgrgnt and ABC2D
So far it seems the OP has been the most accurate in the description of events.

That would make sense since the OP was there and the rest of weren't.

I'm glad Sterling was there and made sure that the OP knew about getting the log report. Hopefully Tesla, if asked enough times, will allow it.
Not going to argue. I think most people understood what I posted. Peace.

I am still trying to process what happened an hour ago... but I wanted to share this incredible accident today around lunch time

While I was making a right turn from a local main road to a small road, not breaking or accelerating much as I always do, all of sudden, my MX accelerated on its own in a lot of power, like when I deliberately make an acceleration as I clearly felt the sensation on my seat. Before I could reacted to the situation, I already hit two parked cars.

I was not on autopilot
One witness behind me told the policeman "something just not right", the speed was constant ...., like you were on raceway"... He came back to make the point after he left and almost got home ..

I never used autopilot because I didn't like the driving feeling when I initially tried. I had this sudden acceleration at least one time this year (February?) on a state highway. I told my husband who was the passenger then. That only lasted seconds and no cars in front of me.

I am not sure this ever happened to anyone, but I am now so scared and the car is totally wrecked.....

To the OP, you may want to follow the thread below on another report of a sudden unintended acceleration incident that occurred today to see how or if they get the event logs.

I was skeptical...

• Helpful
Reactions: BinWing and MXFan
To the OP, you may want to follow the thread below on another report of a sudden unintended acceleration incident that occurred today to see how or if they get the event logs.

I was skeptical...

Many thanks! I have to agree with the OP assessment

It reminded me what I experienced early this year (maybe in February), I felt the uncontrollable lurch on a 50 mph highway. While I shared with my husband who was a passenger at the moment, we did not linger on the issue long enough. It is mostly due to the lucky fact that I was not too close to the car in the front, and trajectory was straight enough so the brake was effective. However, all odds in the recent incident went south...

If any of you ever notice the motion but lucky enough to escape of an accident, take it seriously to prevent any possible adversity in the future.

I've had something similar but with AP on. In the freeway I was behind a car that changed lanes and in front of me was a large Blue truck. It maintained my speed for a second and then just accelerated as it was going to crash into the truck and I had to break. I tried again a second time to test it out and it was fine again for a second or two and then started to accelerate. It was after work so the freeway was pretty busy and I AP was about 10 to 15 mph. I was able to take a video of it as well which I am going to be sharing with the service team tomorrow.
Sorry to say, the Tesla service centers can be some of the most defensive liars out there, and ignore any evidence you have. They'd rather not fix your situation than to fix it for everyone. It's better if you post it and let the Internet hordes dissect it.
Yeah, I definitely didn't feel any level of "emergency brake" at the time of crash. I had hoped the log report will give the trajectory, images and rich data to assemble the whole picture, Maybe Tesla does have the story, just not telling me.

It is really disappointing that when this accident happened, Tesla has not shown any interests to debrief me or to find out more details from me.
As I said, the service centers are usually in full defensive liar mode. It would be easier to hire a Tesla hacker to pull the data logs.

Even if it is Elon Musk's policy as written in the User Manual for the cars, the Service Centers go by a much different ethic than printed
, and will stop at nothing to sweep under the rug any problems. I experienced this attitude firsthand. It was oppressive and very cruel. I could tell just by talking to them that if there was ever any issue that was Tesla's fault, they would try to deny it until the cows came home. On one matter, the cold feet issue (at least in Model S), they indeed did this, despite it being documented here on TMC (that I was unaware of at the time and would have saved me time if I had known) that indeed the footwell area is excessively cold (and there are a number of fixes, none by Tesla and none that easy (one apparently includes putting insulation around an aluminum plate in the car which radiates cold temperature (sucks heat), and the other putting a small electric blanket, which is very dangerous, incidentally)). If they had either told the truth or I had known what was reported on TMC, I could have at least tried to fix it myself without "bothering" them.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: vandacca
I've said it before, the confusing Tesla cruise control setup is, well, confusing. Setting cruise the same way you flick a stalk (either up or down and even pulling does different things depending on situation) for blinkers could be the reason why there are reports of this issue happening especially when turning a corner...
My old Mercedes also had a stalk on the left for cruise, but it was placed in such a way and a different thickness of stalk that one could not mistake it for the blinker. In the Tesla, both stalks have about the same thickness, and it's often mentally impossible to differentiate the two. The Mercedes stalk was thin, like a pencil, and the blinker was one of the thickets stalks I've ever used.

I think Mercedes now does the American way, with a nice big thick stalk for both of them, and so does Tesla, so now it's all very confusing and misleading. As Elon Musk has said, sometimes we don't have progress, but regress in technology, and this is one of those times, with cruise control stalks and user interface.

My old Mercedes also had a stalk on the left for cruise, but it was placed in such a way and a different thickness of stalk that one could not mistake it for the blinker. In the Tesla, both stalks have about the same thickness, and it's often mentally impossible to differentiate the two. The Mercedes stalk was thin, like a pencil, and the blinker was one of the thickets stalks I've ever used.

I think Mercedes now does the American way, with a nice big thick stalk for both of them, and so does Tesla, so now it's all very confusing and misleading. As Elon Musk has said, sometimes we don't have progress, but regress in technology, and this is one of those times, with cruise control stalks and user interface.
Tesla sources their stalks directly from Mercedes, so the two are identical.

Also, if you can get into the habit of turning your blinker on with your left hand still on the steering wheel, you shouldn't mistake the two stalks because you won't be able to reach the CC stalk.

I know I'm repeating myself, but that was 4 pages ago...

• Disagree
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Also, if you can get into the habit of turning your blinker on with your left hand still on the steering wheel, you shouldn't mistake the two stalks because you won't be able to reach the CC stalk.

That is unfortunately not true. When turning right your hands move over the left-side stalks in such a manner that if you turn on the blinker while turning the wheel, instead of before turning the wheel, the mistake can happen. (Not so much when turning left.)

I am fairly confident several TMC sudden accelerations when turning right are explained by this...

(I agree the stalks are identical to Mercedes Benz, of course. Their safety mechanisms and exact software responses can differ, though.)

Last edited:
That is unfortunately not true. When turning right your hands move over the left-side stalks in such a manner that if you turn on the blinker while turning the wheel, instead of before turning the wheel, the mistake can happen. (Not so much when turning left.)
Firstly, I would expect everyone turn on their blinker *before* they actually start turning. There is no point in signaling your turn when you've already started the turn. The blinker is supposed to tell others your "intention" to turn and in which direction.

Secondly, are you saying that with your hands on the steering wheel, you can reach the CC stalk? I seem to have to take my hands off the wheel to reach the CC stalk, because it is much shorter than the signal stalk.

Reactions: bhzmark and ABC2D
Firstly, I would expect everyone turn on their blinker *before* they actually start turning. There is no point in signaling your turn when you've already started the turn. The blinker is supposed to tell others your "intention" to turn and in which direction.

Obviously. But not all do.

@BinWing can explain if they tend to put blinker on first or while turning...

That said, if left hand was not on steering wheel but loose, I guess anything is possible even beforehand.

Secondly, are you saying that with your hands on the steering wheel, you can reach the CC stalk? I seem to have to take my hands off the wheel to reach the CC stalk, because it is much shorter than the signal stalk

When turning to right, yes. Obviously I take my hands off to move them over/on the wheel to execute the turn, but while doing that/while my hands grab the wheel I can reach both stalks if that is the time I remember to engage the blinkers...

When turning to right, yes. Obviously I take my hands off to move them over/on the wheel to execute the turn, but while doing that/while my hands grab the wheel I can reach both stalks if that is the time I remember to engage the blinkers...
Wow, you must have big hands and/or long fingers. I can just barely brush the CC stalk with my finger-tips with my hands planted on the wheels in a normal driving position. If I rotate my hands around the steering wheel, I can obviously connect with the CC stalk, but that's cheating.

I suspect The Donald wouldn't be able to reach either. ;)

Wow, you must have big hands and/or long fingers. I can just barely brush the CC stalk with my finger-tips with my hands planted on the wheels in a normal driving position. If I rotate my hands around the steering wheel, I can obviously connect with the CC stalk, but that's cheating.

My whole point is:

While rotating hands on steering wheel when turning right, you can reach both stalks.

IF you only enable the blinker at that late stage of the turn (some obviously do), the confusion could well happen.

My whole point is:

While rotating hands on steering wheel when turning right, you can reach both stalks.

IF you only enable the blinker at that late stage of the turn (some obviously do), the confusion could well happen.
Ah, just figured it out. You must not have your hands at 10 & 2 or 9 & 3.
54cb199e37d4c_-_wheel-grip-0813-de.jpg

Anyway, let's just agree to disagree on this one. Firstly, my initial point was to signal prior to turning keeping hands on the wheel. And even if you signal late, I'm not understanding how you can reach the CC stalk. I'll try to see if I can reproduce what you seem to be able to do later tonight.

vandacca: I am talking about a 90 degree city turn. How do you do that without rotating your hands on the wheel?

That is the scenario - when turning right - where hands on the wheel could hit the wrong stalk, if blinker is only enabled once the turn starts.

Vandacca:

Several modern studies in the age of power steering have determined that 8 and 4 is the new 10 and 2. Apparently, 9 and 3 are OK, too.

All that being said, my fingers are long enough to reach both stalks and I often hit the TACC stalk when I mean to use the turn signal instead.

vandacca: I am talking about a 90 degree city turn. How do you do that without rotating your hands on the wheel?

That is the scenario - when turning right - where hands on the wheel could hit the wrong stalk, if blinker is only enabled once the turn starts.
When design fails us, it's up to humans to adapt to poorly designed solutions. I'm not necessarily saying that the Mercedes stalks are a bad design, but it may not be the most optimal.

So, my initial post was intended to adapt one's behaviour to this stalk confusion issue. This means that you signal prior to turning and do so with your hands on the wheels.

If you want to turn right and signal while you turn, go for it. But that is completely out of the scope of my initial post.

When design fails us, it's up to humans to adapt to poorly designed solutions. I'm not necessarily saying that the Mercedes stalks are a bad design, but it may not be the most optimal.

So, my initial post was intended to adapt one's behaviour to this stalk confusion issue. This means that you signal prior to turning and do so with your hands on the wheels.

If you want to turn right and signal while you turn, go for it. But that is completely out of the scope of my initial post.

I am trying to understand why this happened, not to advocate and root for some driving style.

If we need to recommend people to avoid blinking while turning on Teslas, so be it, but I would like to first know the reason.

Thus confirming if this is the reason seems important to me. @BinWing can comment if this could apply to them.