Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From all indications based on what I've read, it appears that Tesla did an investigation on fire involved vehicles and was not able to identify the root cause so their only option was to look at the conditions present prior to those fires and remove the conditions: by capping and/or reducing charge rates. Given time, there are several outcomes, the worst of which is that they may never find the root cause and will impose the restrictions indefinitely, hoping that fires will cease and not enough people will complain and they can sweep this under the rug. Let's hope that's not their intention and they are still working on a more permanent, more acceptable fix.

Mike

Reactions: Guy V
I believe the range indication before the forced update was correct. I base this belief on the fact that at a 100% charge the car indicated a range of 253 miles, and I did a trip that was 250 miles from point A charger to point B charger. I made it with a few miles to spare. If the BMS range indication was incorrect, as you seem to suggest, I would not have made it to the point B charger.

After the forced update, the car only charges to 98% range, which corresponds to a 226 mile range. Either the forced update results in the BMS severely underestimating the real range, or the range has been reduced by capping. It appears to be battery voltage capping.

Being able to actually do the trip is of course good eveidence!

But potentially you drive efficient and so could as well be below nominal Wh/mile. For my car the Wh/km are:
- Tesla Typical:190 Wh/km
- Car Tax: 219 Wh/km
- Summer: 179 Wh/km
- All Year: 213 Wh/km
So driving summer I can perfectly well disguise a 5-6% error because I drive more efficiently (179Wh/km) than the calculator uses (190 Wh/km)

Being able to actually do the trip is of course good eveidence!

But potentially you drive efficient and so could as well be below nominal Wh/mile.

I think this is true with my case. How can I have zero degradation for a 3.5 years old car with about 38-39K miles and have my actual miles traveled match with the Tesla Calculated RM use? Like you said, may be due to more efficient driving: my lifetime wh/mi is 287. The car is a 4.6 years old car now.

Last edited:
What are you expecting from SW 2019.32.*?
Higher SUC Charge rate, here is a happy 75D owner in Denmark, perhaps it is 2019.32.*:
Could of course just be because he drives 75D:-(
Will of course report back if my car improves!

Attachments

• ModelX75DSUC70587632_10156216245421851_9055843100852748288_n.jpg
    ModelX75DSUC70587632_10156216245421851_9055843100852748288_n.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 59
Not possible. They have in their disclosure for their warranties that you must do their updates now or may have your warranty voided
Incorrect. That's for you newbies with new Tesla's or recent CPOs. Here, I'll put it this way. I'm special and that "rule" didn't apply to me. Literally. This isn't an opinion, it's a legal fact.

Higher SUC Charge rate, here is a happy 75D owner in Denmark, perhaps it is 2019.32.*:
Could of course just be because he drives 75D:-(
Will of course report back if my car improves!
124kw that's great. But keep in mind not everyone had a cap to begin with. So your great charge rate unfortunately may not mean that others with the problem will be fixed after the update.

We do not know that. Everything is secret as to the root cause.

That's true. They could be lying and actually know the root cause and know that the only way to fix it and remove the nerfs is a pack replacement. I still have hope that's not the case and they are still working on a better fix. But if they are lying, it still might lead to my worst case scenario: where they hope to just leave things as-is and hope people give up and the complaints go away. That would seem the most likely cause for lying in the first place.

Mike

Yeah, but unless your car is rooted, how would you know when or how it changed?

My confusion/surprise has been how can it be that my 3.5 years old car, in June 7, 2018, could charge to 265 (zero degradation) matched with a reasonably accurate RM (a 100 miles trip would use about 100 RM, plus/minus few miles? My lifetime wh/mi being 287.

Was my battery perfect with zero degradation? That's what the evidence, in my case, has shown and was baffling till the cap came along.

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V
My confusion/surprise has been how can it be that my 3.5 years old car, in June 7, 2018, could charge to 265 (zero degradation) matched with a reasonably accurate RM (a 100 miles trip would use about 100 RM, plus/minus few miles? My lifetime wh/mi being 287.

Was my battery perfect with zero degradation? That's what the evidence, in my case, has shown and was baffling till the cap came along.
Your stats match mine very closely. 2015 S70 with 240+ RM at 100% (which is above spec), lifetime 281 Wh/mile, and zero degradation. I have recently run from 93% to 8% and didn't see anything that didn't align with those numbers. I wonder how that can be.

• Love
Reactions: Droschke

My car charges 7 miles past what Tesla advertised when new. It’s over 4 yrs old. 2014 P85D that should only charge to 242 gets 249

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V and NSX1992
Your stats match mine very closely. 2015 S70 with 240+ RM at 100% (which is above spec), lifetime 281 Wh/mile, and zero degradation. I have recently run from 93% to 8% and didn't see anything that didn't align with those numbers. I wonder how that can be.

Thanks for saying it. That's what I keep asking myself: How can it be? The worst feeling is that my battery was somehow magically showing zero degradation only to get capped for no reason !!! That's super upsetting.