Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden Range Drop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me, Stats at $20 just doesn't seem like a lot (it was $10 when I bought it though). And then I'm done with the purchase. So I would say it is worth it for me.

I don't believe in subscription model stuff, so TeslaFi was not an option. TeslaFi looks to me like it has a lot more features for someone who is really into tracking everything - that's not me. I just like to understand kind of overall how things work and the basic statistics; I don't need to know exactly what happened on every drive.

I barely use Stats, but occasionally it's nice to see the data and I'll bring it up. It has Apple Watch integration, which I occasionally use. It will tell me when I've left the climate on, left a door open, etc. It's definitely got some additional features which are nice. Well worth $10, or $20.

Stats tries not to impact vampire drain, but with the recent reductions, it MAY be a factor. I haven't had a chance to run experiments to see. However, it's easy enough to log out of the app and then log in when I'm interested (I just lose the continuous tracking data - but again, I don't care that much). I know when I was logged out I got just 5 miles of drain in 3.5 days, which is pretty good. When logged in, it still seems that I might see 3 miles per day of drain (but again, haven't REALLY checked this - it may be just fine, but I don't have opportunities to properly test it & compare).
Tezlab doesn't have a subscription and sits in between Stats and TeslaFi on the amount of geeky data it gives. It is missing the notifications (door open, climate on etc) though.

I'm also having the same issue and it only seems to be getting worse. During this time I've charged a couple times to 100% and no obvious improvement. The big drops are not specifically correlated with software updates. I have other ongoing issues (bluetooth won't talk to my phone anymore although the phone key still works, thermometer is off by 6-7 degrees F, air compressor buzzing, vents clicking, etc) and so am headed to the service center in a couple weeks - will let you all know how it goes.
Untitled.jpeg

Hopefully just software. My small range reduction (5 miles) correlated with the last software update for me. But your issue is severe. For me, there is obviously a slow 1-mile downward trend but the sudden step downwards is probably just software.

Thought just occurred to me — wouldn’t it be funny if Tesla has artificiality nerfed people’s range a tad, and used that ‘missing’ range to create a small invisible buffer from which they draw upon for vampire drain to make it look like there’s no range loss overnight :D

@GregRF, I haven't checked my Model 3 to see if there has been any loss, but my nephew texted me today very concerned about his because his Model 3 in April and it has dropped about ten miles. His would look like your chart, as far as beginning and ending points. I have had my car a little over a year, and I know that in March, on a trip I charged it 100% and it was at 310 miles.

10 Miles is only a 3% discrepancy and nothing to be concerned about. The range calculation is pretty fuzzy and some initial degradation is expected.

As an example of this fuzzy calculation, I took a road trip this past weekend, charged to 100% showing 301.7 miles. Drove and parked the car with 150 miles range for an hour and came back to the car showing 160 miles of range.

Reactions: wrf2e
prevents obsessing over the car.
pffft! And why would we want to do that?? ; ) Obsessing over the car is half the fun of ownership!

On a serious note, though, thanks for the help regarding Stats. I ended up getting it, and my wife loves it. When she approaches the car with an armload full of groceries, she just looks at her phone (face ID, she keeps it strapped to her arm and has face ID setup to recognize her from the angle), and says, "Siri, open the trunk!". The voice commands were worth the price of admission by themselves. All the stats are just the gravy.

I'm also having the same issue and it only seems to be getting worse. During this time I've charged a couple times to 100% and no obvious improvement. The big drops are not specifically correlated with software updates. I have other ongoing issues (bluetooth won't talk to my phone anymore although the phone key still works, thermometer is off by 6-7 degrees F, air compressor buzzing, vents clicking, etc) and so am headed to the service center in a couple weeks - will let you all know how it goes.View attachment 441990
So I went to the SC yesterday and they seem to think there is no problem with the battery. They had no answer why the range is now 290 though. Apparnetly their remote diagnostics team will continue to run tests on it.