Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else suddenly lose 15+ miles of range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Overnight I lost 15 miles of range. It bounced up up about two miles when I charged up and this morning dropped another five. I've never seen such a fast drastic drop in range with my others. This one is LFP. Anyone else have anything similar?

Does the energy screen indicate large use while parked?

Is the turned on (e.g. sentry mode, frequent app access, etc.) a lot while parked?

What state of charge, and has the car spent weeks or months without seeing a state of charge of 100% or <15%?

Wait, what? Accessing your phone ap draws on your car battery, even when it is miles away? I guess that makes sense, but can you say more?

The app causes the car to wake up if it’s asleep, though that alone, probably, shouldn’t draw from the high voltage battery, but more likely the 12V. However, it’s my understanding that when the 12V charge gets low enough, the high voltage battery will top it up. You could add in situations where extreme weather causes the high voltage battery to also do some thermal management, and running fans/pumps/resistive heater coils/heat pump compressor will draw more.

That said, my guess is it’s probably more likely a range calculation change, possibly because the BMS took an Open Contact Voltage reading and recalibrated max range based on that, given what I’ve read here:

probably, shouldn’t draw from the high voltage battery, but more likely the 12V.
It draws from the HV battery. But the distinction is not really important if you look at it from energy use perspective - as you say it has to charge 12V from HV.

Checking on the app transitions your car from 7W to about 150W consumption for 15-30 minutes.

On the other hand, during this time, it will charge the 12V if it needs it, which means it won’t wake up some other time. If it doesn’t need to charge the 12V and floats it during this time, it is truly wasted energy. About 1/4 rated mile. Just depends on how long it stays awake - which is variable.

So in the end it doesn’t matter much. Check the app as much as you want. If you do it literally all the time, meaning every 15 minutes for 24 hours, it’ll probably cost you about 15 miles of range a day. Not a big deal.

Reactions: Mikedrives
My 2018 M3 FSD was charging at 85% to about 265 miles for several years, then earlier this year suddenly 85% charge dropped almost overnight to 226 miles - Tessie shows a 15% loss which is well below fleet average. I thought maybe a software update had messed with the calibration, so I tried a reset by running it down to about 15 miles left, then charged it up to 100% (which I have seldom done since new, not even on trips), but that didn't help. Still 15% loss of range. Tesla gave me a big runaround about phantom drain (not the complaint; I understand that) and ignored my questions about what would have caused such a sudden drop (loss of some cells?).. I can live with a drop in range of 40-50 miles I suppose (still plenty of chargers around for road trips in most states), but if the trend continues, I'll need a new battery. If not on warranty (where I understand that they'll replace the battery if it drops below 30%, but not guarantee the replacement will be any better so I hear), what would a new battery cost? I've only got 40K miles on it and I'd rather replace the battery when things get worse, rather than to replace the car.