Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

suddenly refusing to change lanes while in Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today my Model 3 suddenly started refusing to change lanes while in Autopilot. When i make the signal, it shows the clear space, but just. refuses.to.go. It does it on NoA as well. I tried several times on both highway and regular roads..same thing. I rebooted, cleaned off the sensors a bit and nothing. It does this for both left and right lane changes.

When i make a turn signal, the visualization shows the clear space (outline of the car), with no other cars around, but that the left rear and right rear sensors detecting something (those "parentheses" lines), but nothing is actually there.

I have scheduled service appt at local center, quickest one is 1.5 weeks away. anything else i can do in the meantime to debug? Anybody else have this problem before? I guess if it really is a sensor issue i will just have to wait until service appt to get it fixed..that is gonna suck if i cannot use lane changes while in Autopilot.

I did notice that yesterday when it was changing lanes in AUtopilot it was able to change lanes but would abort 25% of the time (it would start, then quickly abort like it saw something, before doing it again...weird). I thought it was a software update issue as i just got software update yesterday, but maybe it was the sensors starting to crap out?

I had this happen on Friday on the way to work a couple of times, but on the way home it seemed to self-resolve. I also had a software update pending upon my arrival at home, and haven't yet driven this weekend, so I'm not sure if there was a regression that was quickly addressed.

When i make a turn signal, the visualization shows the clear space (outline of the car), with no other cars around, but that the left rear and right rear sensors detecting something (those "parentheses" lines), but nothing is actually there.

That seems weird that both sides would start doing it at the same time? Did you have PPF applied over the sensors?

thanks all! i didn't have PPF on the rear sensors, only the front ones. i went back and really cleaned the rear sensors and thoroughly washed the car and then the next day it was able to change lanes in Autopilot, no problem! I wonder if the cameras were dirty?

Reactions: VT_EE