Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suddenly speed up after disable autonomous driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys
Any one has the experience when we push up right stick to cancel autonomous driving, occasionally the car speed is increasing instead of decreasing as expected? I almost hit front car and must use break, of course the system gives me a "hard break" and decreased my safety score. ( Although it's a miner,but I don't like it) Well, I thought 3 seconds rule should be applied but a big NO. I got this again today. The firmware is the latest 2022.12.3.12. MYP. The location is at the south exit 382 of highway 101. I turned right to central expressway. (It's a strange location, autonomous driving almost fail at that exit everytime )

Thanks

If you push up on the gear shift and hold it for a second or more, the car shifts into neutral. Any chance that's what happened to you?
Yeah, that's one thing hope to know how you guys cancel the autopilot? I always judge by hearing the "ding-dong" when I disengage the autopilot or kick it in. In a heavy traffic area, I barely have time to check the screen. (I am always very nervous when behind the wheel) Thanks for your feedback, I will check if it's shifted into neutral or not next time. :D

Since I have FSD beta, it's been a while since I've used AP, but as I recall, if you disengage AP by only turning the steering wheel, TACC remains active, so the car might unexpectedly speed up if traffic opens up ahead of you. I know this happens with FSD beta.

Raising the right stalk or tapping the brakes always puts the car into manual operation.

Reactions: sleepydoc
I find it clunky, and there's a slight chance that you'll accidentally shift into neutral. Do what works for you.
I usually tap the lever up - never had any problems accidentally going into reverse. I guess either works for me, whatever happens to be most convenient.

As far as the original question is concerned I’ve never had anything like that happen. My first thought was that s/he disengaged AP but left TACC on.

I usually tap the lever up - never had any problems accidentally going into reverse. I guess either works for me, whatever happens to be most convenient.

As far as the original question is concerned I’ve never had anything like that happen. My first thought was that s/he disengaged AP but left TACC on.
That was my first thought too, but I think the only way to cancel Autosteer but leave TACC enabled is to steer manually. Also, even if TACC remained on, I don’t know what would make it speed up under those conditions. Hopefully the OP will figure it out and enlighten us.

You can’t shift into neutral while in motion… it literally tells you you can’t if you try
Not true, and I tried it this morning in my wife's Model 3 to make sure. If you push up on the gear stalk (when in D) but don't hold it long enough, you'll see an alert message saying you have to hold it up for 1+ seconds to engage neutral. If you do hold the stalk up long enough, you won't see the alert and it will shift in neutral.

Not true, and I tried it this morning in my wife's Model 3 to make sure. If you push up on the gear stalk (when in D) but don't hold it long enough, you'll see an alert message saying you have to hold it up for 1+ seconds to engage neutral. If you do hold the stalk up long enough, you won't see the alert and it will shift in neutral.
Correct. And if you are driving slow enough, you can put the car in reverse without stopping (usually).